Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you get to work if it is raining?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How do you get to work if it is raining?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 12:29 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also generally just ride. Rain on its own will not keep me from riding. Come to think of it any of rain, snow, wind, lightning, dark, low temperatures, or other atmospheric phenomena -- on their own -- will not keep me from riding. Some combination of these might keep me from riding, though. Then I just take the T.

The main factor for me is the road surface. To now, icy roads have generally sent me to the T, BUT my rebuild with studded tires is almost done....

EDIT: and for riding in the rain below about 55F, I have a rain jacket, rain paints, booties, panniers with rain covers (and plastic bag wrapped stuff inside the panniers), fenders, and disc brakes. Riding in the rain is fun.
Old 01-23-07, 12:35 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBikeGotStolen
But I am just curious, what does everyone do when it is raining and you have no other way of getting to work? I tried searching the forums but found nothing about it.
Same thing I do on a sunny day. Swing my leg over my bike saddle and start pedaling.

In summer, I just get wet and pack dry clothes in plastic to put in my backpack. In winter I wear a raincoat. I keep a change of clothes at work as well and my bike is equipped with fenders.

Old 01-23-07, 02:30 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And disc brakes. Better stopping,longer pad life,less mess.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-23-07, 02:38 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drive.
Old 01-23-07, 02:45 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjmillig
Drive.
I used to just drive when it rained, as it makes the most sense. Rain creates a visibility problem, too, that you need to account for. Make sure, however, that you just worry about the rain on the ride in to work. If you don't ride because of projected rain on the ride home, you'll miss out on a good morning ride many times for no reason. Sure, the weathermen can say that it will rain in the afternoon, 100% certain, but that doesn't mean it will rain during your brief time you spend on the road. If it does rain on the ride home it isn't a big deal--you can change clothes then.

That said, lately I ride in to work when it's lightly raining quite often. That kind of rain is fairly easily manageable with water resistent coat/pants, assuming you have fenders, and blinkies.
Old 01-23-07, 03:01 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
When its raining I wear some or all of the following...

waterproof helmet cover
semi water resistant nylon shell
rainpants
some sort of semiwaterresistant glove
neoprene shoe covers (and somtimes put a plastic bag between the shoe and cover)

With that setup, I was once able to do a 70 mile ride in constant hard rain, temps in the 40s, and stayed comfortable for the whole ride.

Rain riding is surprisingly enjoyable if you are dressed right and have fenders. In hard rain, there is no real way to avoid getting wet, but getting damp is fine if you keep your heart rate up, and in warmer weather it feels great. The only time I find it to be intolerable is when its raining hard in near-freezing temperatures...thats a recipe for hypotherimia. Subfreezing temps and snow are much better because you stay dry.
Old 01-23-07, 03:03 PM
spqla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when the rain is heavy i take the bus

light rain is fine for me and riding, i just put all my stuff in plastic bags and cram those into another bag

but when its heavy i stay off the bike and get on the bus. and that is more because drivers in LA suck in the rain.

if i'm already at work and it comes down hard i can lock my bike up in an available dog kennel. so my ride stays nice and dry till the rain goes away.

so far, this has not been an issue since 2005
Old 01-23-07, 03:09 PM
Philatio
we are 138

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golftdi
Does anyone have experience with rain capes, such as these? https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Rain-Capes.html

(I know fenders are required with capes.)
no, but I'd be interested too if anyone does. I had a great original idea (guess not ) last year to make something like this for when it's warm rain. I never got around to doing it, but I think if it were designed to not blow up from the wind then it would solve both overheating and being seen very well
Old 01-23-07, 03:12 PM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is lightning, I don't ride. If it is freezing into road ice I don't ride. Otherwise, I just put on my rain gear and head out on the fendered bike.
Old 01-23-07, 03:35 PM
willawry'd
psycho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrosseyedCrickt
...wind speeds reaching well over 100mph. Now THAT is some bad weather!!
only if it's a headwind
Old 01-23-07, 04:18 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
Make sure, however, that you just worry about the rain on the ride in to work. If you don't ride because of projected rain on the ride home, you'll miss out on a good morning ride many times for no reason. Sure, the weathermen can say that it will rain in the afternoon, 100% certain, but that doesn't mean it will rain during your brief time you spend on the road. If it does rain on the ride home it isn't a big deal--you can change clothes then.
Agreed. There are lots of rainy days that have breaks in the rain or periods of less intense rain or periods without lightning. To spot those, I'll keep an eye on the weather radar and try to time my ride. I'm lucky in that my job allows such flexibility.
Old 01-23-07, 04:31 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the temperature. Generally, if it's above maybe 55 or 60, I'll just wear something that can get wet, and carry dry clothes in a double-plastic bag inside my backpack or pannier. Otherwise, I'll get as wet with sweat as I would with rain.

Below that, it's too cold to get wet, and the rain gear needs to be used. I have rain pants from L.L. Bean, and a transparent plastic rain jacket through which the yellow flourescent jacket can shine through, with mesh underarms for breathability. (Although that does tend to let the rain seep in if it's really coming down.)

For my feet, I have regular platform pedals, so I just wear boots, rubbed with mink oil for water resistance. Not that that does much, so extra socks are always called for! I keep an extra pair at work in case I forget. (I also keep work shoes here anyway.)
Old 01-23-07, 04:49 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
I used to just drive when it rained, as it makes the most sense. Rain creates a visibility problem, too, that you need to account for. Make sure, however, that you just worry about the rain on the ride in to work. If you don't ride because of projected rain on the ride home, you'll miss out on a good morning ride many times for no reason. Sure, the weathermen can say that it will rain in the afternoon, 100% certain, but that doesn't mean it will rain during your brief time you spend on the road. If it does rain on the ride home it isn't a big deal--you can change clothes then.
During the summer here on the east coast, it's pretty common for every afternoon to have a thunderstorm forecasted and probably 75% of the time, the weather people are wrong. When it does storm, it's not exactly easy to ride in but it's better than missing out on all those days it was bright and sunny but forecasted to rain.
Old 01-23-07, 06:42 PM
rs_woods

Bikes: Trek T80, Trek SU200, Trek SU100, Giant Bowery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just throw a plastic Trek waterproof jacket I got from my LBS for free. Put it over my backpack, and go. Granted, if it's raining hard my waist down will get soaked, but so long as my backpack is dry I'll have a spare set to change into. I could probably do with some wet weather pants.

How far you want to take the weather gear depends on your (or your boss's) tolerance for nastiness.
Old 01-23-07, 06:54 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a trick question....? Why we just ride of course...

Seriously, as others have said, fenders, rain jacket, pants, and a fresh change of clothes and your'e good to go!
Old 01-23-07, 10:43 PM
beetes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Philatio
no, but I'd be interested too if anyone does. I had a great original idea (guess not ) last year to make something like this for when it's warm rain. I never got around to doing it, but I think if it were designed to not blow up from the wind then it would solve both overheating and being seen very well
I wear a rain cape when its really raining. I don't have a rain suit, so I can't compare directly, but I think it is probably cooler. But thats not to say its completely cool. It still gets warm under there, but you can lift up the front every now and then to let the cool air in (assuming its cool out), somethin you can't do with rain pants. Most bike capes have "thumb loops" that prevent it from blowing up in the wind, but you could just use a poncho and hold it down with your hands if need be.
Old 01-23-07, 10:50 PM
RomSpaceKnight

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride in all weather. If snow too deep i put on XC skis or snowshoes and hoof it in to work. There is an environmentally significant area between my house and work. Illegal to ride a bike through but other uses allowed. I do ride there but not in spring or fall when things are wet and I leave big scars.
Old 01-24-07, 01:05 AM
joe v

Bikes: ca.1975 Gitane Interclub - 90's Colnago Master Competition- ca.'84 Merckx Corsa - '77 Groene Leeuw - ca. '78 Guerciotti - ca.1984 L'Express - 1974 Gitane 'Super Olympic' - Peugeot 1981 PXN10 - 1975 Peugeot PR10 -1974 Norta -1974 Peugeot PX10 LE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wet.
Old 01-25-07, 09:59 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on my bike

when the cagers say, "did you ride in that?"
I say,"I get wet every time I take a shower."

rain is fun, I use a poncho, and hold it in my hands on the handlebars. I have fenders.
WIND however, is a deal breaker... more than 15 MPH and I am a wuss.
Old 01-26-07, 08:32 AM
Katzenjammer
Utility Cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Philatio
Rain capes are good. I think they probably vary in how cool they are according to what they're made from. I have the one Campmor sell ($29 -- cheapest I could find). It's quite light, highly-visible yellow nylon taffeta and has the obligatory thumb loops and waist loop to keep from flapping up. It seems quite pleasant compared to the portable sauna I used to wear years ago. It has an integral hood that I've not used--I'd rather a helmet cover, but so far have done without.
Old 01-27-07, 11:58 PM
Carusoswi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride without fenders or flaps - not certain why everyone feels they are so indispensable. I have a rubber rain suit (sporting goods section of any K/Wal-mart). The jacket has a hood that I wear over my head under my helmet. The pants fit down over the back of my "water-proof" shoe covers. The only time I ever got wet riding in the rain was when the water got so high in spots that the down stroke left my feet submerged. Even then, it was just my feet that were wet.

I try to alter my riding style to exert less energy when wearing my rain suit so that the tendency to get wet from the inside out is reduced.

As for the fenders/flaps, my riding is done on the road, so mud isn't a problem. As for water coming off the tires, not that much comes from the front tire, and my "trunk" bag and rack serve as a fender on the back. If i didn't have the rack/trunk bag, I would just let whatever water the rear wheel picks up hit me - it's just water, and I'm in waterproof gear.

Caruso
Old 01-28-07, 05:56 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Caruso,

I think your rain gear is great for "extreme weather" situations. But there are three drawbacks with your approach:

– Full rain gear is hot when it is warm outside. In fact, I love my raingear when the temperature hovers around 0-5 C.
– WHen riding in midst, I prefer to have little or no rain gear on me.
– The roads are dirtiest after rainstorm or at some other times when it's not raining.

These are probably some of the reasons why fenders are very popular in areas like the Pacific NorthWest or England, where there are lots of days with drizzle rather than downpours.
Old 01-28-07, 06:07 PM
o-dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in addition to everything that everyone else mentioned, a waterproof skull cap is good if your helmet has vents.
Old 01-28-07, 07:05 PM
tedi k wardhana
transport, not sport.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBikeGotStolen
........................But I am just curious, what does everyone do when it is raining and you have no other way of getting to work? I tried searching the forums but found nothing about it.

Thanks everyone.
I take my bike out, hop on the saddle and pedal.
that's how.......

seriously....since all my bikes have full fenders, I just have to put on rain jacket and rain pants.
and protect the stuff inside my backpack with plastic bags.
Old 01-28-07, 09:38 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I don't ride to work if it is raining heavily but I do ride in light rain. I bought rain pants and I sweated like a porcine omnivore. So I usually ride with a rain jacket and ordinary pants. I bring a second set of pants and usually a shirt, and I have spare underwear, socks and shoes at the office just in case. (The spare underwear is not because it's a scary ride.)

I ride home in any weather.

I intend to get a rain cape as I'm sure it will offer more protection than the jacket, and hopefully will be cooler than rain pants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.