Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Commute 1 year $10,000 Bet

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 11:48 AM
RaleighBob
Commuter

Bikes: Green Raleigh 3 Speed, Trek L200, Trek 930, Trek T80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My friend at work gave me 20-1 odds that I could not ride my bike to work for 1 year. I bet $500 that I could (for a potential payout of $10,000). My commute is about 1.5 miles each way. I live in the Northeast (Long Island NY). The only hard part is I work 6 months of the year on odd hours. One shift is 6pm to 2am and the other is 2am to 9am.

In my mind this is a lay-up. I am 43 years old and needed some incentive to get back in shape. Right now I am riding a 30 year old Raleigh 3 speed which is more than adequate. Any advice for riding in snow, rain, cold etc? I am hoping to do this just on the Raleigh. So this is what I need advice on:

1) Bad weather riding.
2) Flat tires, quick fix on the road
3) Bike maintainence
4) General support

I think this is going to be the easiest money I ever made. I love bike riding so I am really looking forward to this. Only real drawback is I will feel guilty as hell taking the money from him.
Old 05-12-05, 11:58 AM
rs_woods

Bikes: Trek T80, Trek SU200, Trek SU100, Giant Bowery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does your comrade know it's only a mile and a half? Maybe if you were fat and had a 20 mile commute thru a volcano and/or industrial district, but 1.5 miles? I wouldn't have put that much money against you .
Old 05-12-05, 11:58 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For bad weather riding I use Gortex rain pants and a Gortex type sky jacket. Under arm vents are good in the jacket as you don't overheat. I'm looking at getting a pair of waterproof shoe covers for next winter.

As for flats you can either upgrade your tires to something with built in flat protection like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus or use Mr Tuffy tire liners. I've had good luck with Mr Tuffys and Conti Top Touring tires.

https://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?ber...29&produkt=131

https://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?Page...and=256&type=T
Old 05-12-05, 12:02 PM
RaleighBob
Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He knows the distance. I think he likes the odss of me not wanting to ride in at 2am in the winter when it is snowing. But personally I like the idea of having to do that.
Old 05-12-05, 12:10 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question is, would it bother you to have to pay him the money if you lose? Or, in other words, are the rewards of riding your bike more more important to you than money?
Old 05-12-05, 12:16 PM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you honestly think there's a chance you'll collect the $10K, I wouldn't worry about buying a new bike if you feel like it. If you spend a grand or two on bikes/accessories who cares, you're still in the black by 8K. But 1.5 miles should be cake. Heck you can walk in the snow and carry your bike . Is he going to be out there at 2 AM to check?
Old 05-12-05, 12:23 PM
BillyBob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make him put the money in escrow.
Old 05-12-05, 12:24 PM
max-a-mill
aspiring dirtbag commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'll take those odds and i don't even know ya... sounds like easy money but i'd be suspicious that he actually is gonna hand over the 10 large....

for 1.5 miles you really don't need a fancy bike but you certanly could go by a bike shop and get it tuned up all nice (maybe some nice new flat resistant tires) so you never have to miss a day because your bike dosen't work... h@ll for that kind of bet buy yourself a 300 dollar backup bike so there is NO POSSIBLE WAY you can miss out on the money!

i wish i had some fool like that at my work.... EASY MONEY!
Old 05-12-05, 12:27 PM
RaleighBob
Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year I thought about getting rid of my car and being a 1 car family and riding my bike to work. I really like to ride as a means of transport. I used to live in NYC and my bike was my transport method. I like the idea of commuting to work by bike. I really don't need a new bike right now. I will wait for the weather to turn bad before I step up an buy a decent bike.

I ma just looking to have fun.
Old 05-12-05, 12:28 PM
jnbacon
Proshpero

Bikes: Fixed Surly CrossCheck, Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The answers to most of your question list can be found in the New Commuter Advice thread at the top of the page. Other discussion of the issues you list can be found using the search feature and in the other forums.

Support can be had here anytime! <corninessToTheMax> My bet is that even if this bet fizzles like most such bets (was there alcohol involved? ), that if you stick with it, you'll win no matter what. </corninessToTheMax>
Old 05-12-05, 12:28 PM
DerekU2

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Dauphine, 1997 GT Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a mile and a half for 10 Large? Christ - can I get a piece of this?
Old 05-12-05, 12:30 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden at 2am in the snow, it's a blast. Get on it!
Old 05-12-05, 12:32 PM
super-douper
Powered by PB&J

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boy, that's easy money.... even considering the snow and cold and crazy hours...

although he only needs you to wimp out 1 day in the next year to win. I'd be more worried about being injured and not be able to ride, like if you break your leg somehow and can't ride. $10k, or -$500 would be enough motivation to make me ride. Hell, when my commute was 1.5miles I always rode unless I felt like walking.

so, be careful not to get hurt. If you're sick and don't feel like riding, call in sick and maybe get a backup bike so that mechanical probs won't stop you.
Old 05-12-05, 12:34 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
It's actually a good deal easier cycling than driving when it's snowing... you might slide or slip, but you sure as **** aren't going to get stuck. And, even with the wrong equipment, you can manage to make it work for 1-1/2 miles. I used to commute home at 3:00 or 4:00am a comparable nominal distance when I lived in West Philadelphia on my old Nishiki road bike, mostly poorly maintained, without so much as a patch kit or a rain jacket. I figured I'd never have to walk more than 3/4 of a mile if something happened. Having all the bells and whistles is a good thing, and your old raleigh probably has the commuter bells and whistles... internally geared hub, fenders. 1-1/2 mile commutes are what bikes like that were made for.
Old 05-12-05, 12:37 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighBob
My friend at work gave me 20-1 odds that I could not ride my bike to work for 1 year. I bet $500 that I could (for a potential payout of $10,000). My commute is about 1.5 miles each way. I live in the Northeast (Long Island NY). The only hard part is I work 6 months of the year on odd hours. One shift is 6pm to 2am and the other is 2am to 9am.

In my mind this is a lay-up. I am 43 years old and needed some incentive to get back in shape. Right now I am riding a 30 year old Raleigh 3 speed which is more than adequate. Any advice for riding in snow, rain, cold etc? I am hoping to do this just on the Raleigh. So this is what I need advice on:

1) Bad weather riding.
2) Flat tires, quick fix on the road
3) Bike maintainence
4) General support

I think this is going to be the easiest money I ever made. I love bike riding so I am really looking forward to this. Only real drawback is I will feel guilty as hell taking the money from him.
Your Raleigh 3 speed is vastly better over this distance than almost any generally available bike. It is one of the best choices you could make.

1 Bad weather -
Overcoat
Pants
Gleves
Snow Tires (Nokian w106)

2 Flats -- Summer Tires

3 Maintenance -- Your bike will require very little maintenance. I'd suggest any good bike repait book. Maybe a few hours a month of cleaning/lubrication

4 General support -- Get a backup bike. Over this distance a cruiser bike with fenders is your most cost-effective choice.

Safety -- You want a rear blinkie and a LED front headlight. These run off batteries, so have an extra set of batteries in your pocket.

Results -- Expect to make it to work on days when your friend does not. Expect to get to work faster than when driving. The most important thing is safety -- have a good front and rear light and spare batteries. I've got a hub dynamo powered lighting system, and I highly recommend it, but for 1.5 miles, cheap battery lights would be fine.

Paul
Old 05-12-05, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Can he bet me? Cause that's just too easy....

Koffee

Old 05-12-05, 12:53 PM
palmertires

Bikes: Beater 8000 custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He knows the distance. I think he likes the odss of me not wanting to ride in at 2am in the winter when it is snowing. But personally I like the idea of having to do that.
Brrrrrrrr. 2am in the winter in NY. Brrrrr.
Old 05-12-05, 01:04 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Get really good lights... for a mile and a half you could carry the darn bike if you had to.

After you win, frame the bike and get yourself a couple more.
Old 05-12-05, 01:14 PM
darkmother
Get the stick.

Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this guy capable of paying you 10 grand for such a trivial bet? If so TAKE it. Easiest 10 grand you will ever make.
Old 05-12-05, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I second the idea of putting the money in escrow. If he's serious and thinks you can't win, then you do and he can't pay up, you'd definitely feel gypped.

Koffee

Old 05-12-05, 01:20 PM
Crash Dummy
I get hit by cars

Bikes: Fuji Team Pro '05 / Ancient Bianchi commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For ten thousand bucks, I'd ride a mile and a half at 2am even if I wasn't going to work. I'm a poor college grad, that kind of cash is half of what I make in a year. Five 2am rides a week to get a 50% raise? Heck yeah, I'd be in. Ask your buddy if he wants to bet me that I can't ride to work every day for a year. My commute's double the length of yours. After it was over, I could EASILY become the king of the OCP club over in the road forum. And that's worth any price
Old 05-12-05, 01:24 PM
Gardener

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three speeds are wonderful. When I was around 19 or so, I thought I needed a mountain bike, you know, so you could "go any where". I had a nice trek 930, but even at that, it hurt my neck and I was worried it would be stolen.

A ten dollar Austrian made three speed replaced it. One of those black ones imported by Sears with their name on it. Upright bars, fenders, smooth tires, and then with a bell and lights, it was wonderful. I didn't even feel obligated to wear a helmet.

If you wanted to do something nice to it, you could put alloy rims on it and some diacompe centerpulls with Kool stop pads. Real luxury would be to replace the squeeky seat with a new sprung Brooks B.72, which was standard fare on a lot of the really old Raleighs. Luxury beyond that would be a hub generator to power a permanently attached headlight and taillight. And if that thumb shifter is worn out and slipping, I hear you can get new ones.

Have fun.
Old 05-12-05, 01:30 PM
geeklpc1985

Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's no big ride, I would love that ride. I have hours like that once, when I have a girlfriend at my college who live in the dorm. I would get to school at 7am and leave for home at 3 am. I love the ride at night, so nice and peacefully.

Good Luck,

GEEK
Old 05-12-05, 01:38 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it were me, I'd make sure that I have a 2nd bike available. Yes, the raleigh 3 speed should be pretty reliable, but I wouldn't take the chance. Find a tough, cheap single speed for backup. Or another 3 speed, whatever. If your chances of succeeding are based on riding every day, without fail, you need a backup bike.
Old 05-12-05, 01:44 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by halfbiked
If it were me, I'd make sure that I have a 2nd bike available. Yes, the raleigh 3 speed should be pretty reliable, but I wouldn't take the chance. Find a tough, cheap single speed for backup. Or another 3 speed, whatever. If your chances of succeeding are based on riding every day, without fail, you need a backup bike.
See how we're sucking you in to the 'You can never have enough bikes' mentality! Muhahahaha! Couple of questions though, is it ok to walk, or is it a requirement to ride the bike every day. If the bet is to just not take the subway, or drive a car, this is a piece of cake (says i on this sunny day, not subject to this bet). If it's ok to walk some days, i'd do that too. Personally i'd much rather walk in the rain and snow and ride the bike, but that's because i enjoy it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.