Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Specialized Roubaix

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 02:25 PM
kywldcts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Roubaix

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I’ve been putting on weight steadily for about 20 years and I finally became tired of it. I topped out at 288 and decided to make some permanent lifestyle changes. I’ve been tracking portion sizes and calories for about a month now as well as walking, riding my Specialized Roll, and using a stationary recumbent exercise on days when I don’t do the others. My appetite is way down and cravings are nonexistent which is great. After about 3 days it got and has remained incredibly easy and I’m down 10 pounds already.

Anyway, there’s a 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact for sale near me. They’re asking $500. I’d like to get something that’s a little lighter and faster than my Roll that will be better suited to riding longer. Is this a good deal? Any suggestions on things to look for or a lower offer that wouldn’t be insulting? Money isn’t really that big of a concern for me, but I also really like getting good deals. Would it even be suitable at my size? I’m 5’10.5 and 278 as of this morning. It’s a 56cm. I have some pics, but it won’t let me attach them because I don’t have enough posts. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-09-23, 09:39 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Welcome to the best sub-forum on BikeForums! And, congratulations on the lifestyle changes and the results. As far as the bike goes, $500 sounds like a good deal - if it's in good working condition and still has the ultegra groupset and some decent wheels. The wheels will be the important factor in supporting your weight. There are a lot of wheel recommendations here for Clydes. If you need to change them it shouldn't be hard to find a good set, but expect to pay about what you paid for the bike.

I personally ride a 2004 Roubaix (the original!) as my daily commuter. I'm 6'1" my Roubaix is a 57 I believe so you should be able make 56 work. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-16-23, 10:12 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
I have a 2013 Roubaix. I started breaking spokes on the rear wheel after I got up to 270. My wheel only had 30 spokes and the thinking was it was flexing too much. I had a heavier duty wheel built with 30 spokes and it has been good.
I have also been losing weight doing sorta keto/ mostly very low carb. I am having my original wheel rebuilt.
You will like the bike. The geometry is perfect.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 08-24-23 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 12:44 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
It might be a fair deal and if it is I am thinking you will enjoy the bike. Closely inspect chain rings to confirm they are not worn our. Measure the chain with a rule to check for excessive wear. If the chain is excessively worn you might need to replace the whole drive train. Same with Wheels and especially the brake tracks. Any defects should result in price concessions. ANY!
For it to be a fair deal IMHO it needs to be in pristine condition. 12 year old carbon @ 30% cost of original seems steep.
Old 08-24-23, 03:32 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Great bikes -- red and white model is one i just had built up with D-A 7800. I am going through some teething pains with gear ratios and this and thats right now, but so far its a winner

I wound up with 2 of these critters (brain fade on ebay) . Not sure what i will do with the black one other than maybe turn it around and try to re-sell it, -- but i gladly paid more for each of these framesets than you are looking at for a complete bike. I'd definitely be in at $500. I believe my black one is the "Pro" model and they are both SL-4's so may be an apples to oranges comparison to an SL3 but other than the Zertz fittings, the geometry should be comparable

Old 08-26-23, 08:08 AM
iTrek

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have a picture with me, but I'm on a 2020 Roubaix. 5'8" and 289. Great bike, no problems with wheels.
Likes For iTrek:
Old 09-18-23, 11:50 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I ride a 2008 carbon Roubaix I picked up from CL for $300 a few years back. It's a good bike. I never worry about it under my 230 pound self. I wouldn't give too much importance to the weight of any bike, however; not for its own sake. The difference between the total weight of rider plus bike being 300 or 310 pounds makes absolutely no difference.
Old 09-18-23, 12:31 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
A concern at your current weight is the tire widths with this bike. The wider the tires the more weight they are able to support. Tires are not expensive but having to put a new wheelset can be if the current rims do not allow for wider tires.