Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti 4000 vs Gatorskin vs 4Season

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 05:55 PM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Bikes: 2006 Specialized SWorks Tarmac; 2005 Bianchi Giro; 2005 Bianchi Cross Veloce; 1997 Litespeed Catalyst; 1983 Performance Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For winter in cold but dry conditions options I'm considering:
-Continental:
---GP 4000: best performance; also new Vectran belt
---Ultra Gator Skin: Duraskin sidewall;
---4 Season: sort of blend of the 2 above; MaxGripSilica tread compound for grip; Duraskin sidewall
(My short synopsis listed above)

Info below from Conti web site:

---GP 4000
"The all new Vectran breaker belt, developed and patented by Continental, surpasses even the famous puncture resistance of the former leader in this category, the GP3000. The extremely strong Vectran fabrics are more flexible and lighter than all other puncture protection materials. Vectran offers more resistance to cuts than Aramid, is five times as strong as steel and features less weight than a nylon double breaker. It also maintains strength in the wet.'
https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...x%204000.shtml

---Ultra Gator Skin
"The ultimate wire bead training & racing tyre where puncture protection is priority. Using the latest technology against flats the GatorSkin range uses an aramid breaker and Duraskin® sidewall ProTection. The Duraskin® sidewall reinforcement forms an external protective sheild over the entire casing to prevent cuts, puntures and abrasions. The slick natural rubber tread is designed to perform well in wet/wintery conditions.
Intended for high mileage winter training for serious cyclists."

https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...atorskin.shtml

---GP 4 Season
"The Grand Prix 4 Season is a top level racing clincher with exceptional winter and wet condition performance
and further improved sidewall durability. The ultimate combination of speed, light-weight and wet weather performance, with excellent puncture and sidewall protection due to an ultra fine polyamide casing, added Duraskin® sidewall reinforcement and black MaxGripSilica tread compound with specifically optimized for wet weather grip, low temperatures and extended tread life.
This tyre is based on the race-proven tread design of the venerable Grand Prix 3000 and so includes 5 carcass plies below the tread (3 for casing plus 2 anti-puncture layers) to give a total of 430 tpi plus Duraskin® sidewall reinforcement beneath the tread."

https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...20season.shtml

So what's more important for cut resistance: the Vectran belt in the 4000, or the Duraskin sidewall (Gators/4Season)?
So far I have found the 4000's to be cut resistant, just not terribly durable (square off more quickly than MichiProRace2'S)

Looks like the 4Season is the only one to have the MaxGripSilica tread compound.

So which one of these sounds best for dry, cold conditions?
Old 08-21-06, 06:55 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never flatted on GP 4000's. I have a wheelset with 3K miles and GP 4000's and no flats.

I flatted twice 2 weeks ago on my Gators. I got the Gators for a xmas present. They now have around 1,200 miles on them with the 2 flats.
Old 08-21-06, 07:04 PM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Bikes: 2006 Specialized SWorks Tarmac; 2005 Bianchi Giro; 2005 Bianchi Cross Veloce; 1997 Litespeed Catalyst; 1983 Performance Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markwebb
I have never flatted on GP 4000's. I have a wheelset with 3K miles and GP 4000's and no flats.

I flatted twice 2 weeks ago on my Gators. I got the Gators for a xmas present. They now have around 1,200 miles on them with the 2 flats.
Thanks Mark, think this is coincidence, or sounds like you'd vote for the 4000 at least in terms of flat resistance (and hence you're a fan of the vectran belt) ?

Looks like the 4 Seasons are the only ones that are made in a 700x28 folding.
Gatorskins 700x28's are non folding only. Only the 700x23 is made in folding.
Largest 4000 is 700x25 (folding)
Old 08-21-06, 07:13 PM
tcwong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if this will influence your decision: 15% off - $21.02 today only for GatorSkins.

https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1320

I'm riding on GatorSkins and so far so good after ~200 miles.
Old 08-21-06, 07:15 PM
Idunno445
Nice Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the GP4000s. Fast, comfortable, puncture resistant, durable, fairly light. Great tire. With that said, though I've never tried them, I've heard great things about the 4-Seasons for winter riding. Seeing that Conti designed them specifically for this purpose, they'd be my pick if I was looking for tires specifically for riding during cold months.

+1 to Probikekit. Whichever tire you decide to go with, I'd recommend buying from them. I get my GP4000s from them for less than half the price I would pay at the LBS, with no shipping or sales tax.

Have a good one
nick

I'd rather be riding...

Last edited by Idunno445; 08-21-06 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 08:29 PM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcwong
Not sure if this will influence your decision: 15% off - $21.02 today only for GatorSkins.

https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1320

I'm riding on GatorSkins and so far so good after ~200 miles.
Thanks. Yea, saw that, which is partially what stimulated this thread.
Old 08-21-06, 08:37 PM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Idunno445
I love the GP4000s. Fast, comfortable, puncture resistant, durable, fairly light. Great tire. With that said, though I've never tried them, I've heard great things about the 4-Seasons for winter riding. Seeing that Conti designed them specifically for this purpose, they'd be my pick if I was looking for tires specifically for riding during cold months.

+1 to Probikekit. Whichever tire you decide to go with, I'd recommend buying from them. I get my GP4000s from them for less than half the price I would pay at the LBS, with no shipping or sales tax.

Have a good one
nick
Thanks Nick.
Anybody used the 4 Seasons? Would consider trying 700x28 or 700x25 folding.
Anybody ridden the 4000 700x25?
Old 08-21-06, 08:38 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 4 seasons on my winter bike - no flats; the tread looks very good even after a dozen or so roller sessions. Maybe not for racing, but I don't race at 20 degrees anyway.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 08-21-06, 08:40 PM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TJHOO
Thanks Mark, think this is coincidence, or sounds like you'd vote for the 4000 at least in terms of flat resistance (and hence you're a fan of the vectran belt) ?

Looks like the 4 Seasons are the only ones that are made in a 700x28 folding.
Gatorskins 700x28's are non folding only. Only the 700x23 is made in folding.
Largest 4000 is 700x25 (folding)
I like the GP4000's as well, No flats in 2700kms, using latex tubes at 105psi, ride is extremely comfortable, with reduced rolling resistance.
Tread wear is very good, tread wear indicators (tiny holes in tread) still showing. Afew small 2mm cuts in rear, nothing in the front. Expect to get another 1500- 2000kms of life, I don't think the flatening of the rear tread affects the performance in anyway. Lightest weight out of all your options.
Old 08-21-06, 08:49 PM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
I have 4 seasons on my winter bike - no flats; the tread looks very good even after a dozen or so roller sessions. Maybe not for racing, but I don't race at 20 degrees anyway.
Thanks,
Have you ridden 4000's? If so, how do the 4Seasons handle in comparison? If not, how do they handle compared to any other Conti tire you've ridden?
Old 08-21-06, 08:50 PM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We live closeby, so same climate. For winter do you have the 4 Season 23, 25, or 28?
Old 08-21-06, 09:05 PM
travis200
OTB is imminent

Bikes: '06 Trek 5.2, '06 Lemond Poprad, '06 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the flat protection on the GP4000 I also use the Cont Competitions (tubular) and they have the same vectran belt. A few weeks ago I ordered a set of the Gatorskins from Probikekit and they sent me a set of the 4 Seasons which I like a lot for winter wet riding.
Old 08-22-06, 02:11 AM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherpa
I like the flat protection on the GP4000 I also use the Cont Competitions (tubular) and they have the same vectran belt. A few weeks ago I ordered a set of the Gatorskins from Probikekit and they sent me a set of the 4 Seasons which I like a lot for winter wet riding.
You mean they mistakenly sent your 4Seasons instead of Gatorskins?

Could you please compare the handling of the 4000/4S/Gators?
Old 08-22-06, 02:33 AM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean they mistakenly sent your 4Seasons instead of Gatorskins?

Could you please compare the handling of the 4000/4S/Gators?
You should look at the GP 4000 reviews, I would use these as an all round tire in all conditions.

https://www.roadcycling.com/news/article1395.shtml
https://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/ar...N/1106/v/1/sp/
Old 08-22-06, 02:47 AM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kleng
You should look at the GP 4000 reviews, I would use these as an all round tire in all conditions.

https://www.roadcycling.com/news/article1395.shtml
https://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/ar...N/1106/v/1/sp/
I've ridden the GP 4000's for only 1000 miles, but compared to Michi ProRace 2's, they don't seem to handle as well cornering and square off earlier.

Apparently the 4000's are more cut resistant than the old 3000's, but might not be as durable to long term wear/tear as the old 3000's (at least acc to what seems to me to be a reputable online store that shall remain nameless...I've never ridden the 3000's.)

The 4Season has the Duraskin sidewall (as does the Gatorskin). For winter riding w/ debris on the road, one might think this would help decrease flats. Wonder how much handling you lose though b/c of that Duraskin?
Old 08-22-06, 03:19 AM
kleng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden the GP 4000's for only 1000 miles, but compared to Michi ProRace 2's, they don't seem to handle as well cornering and square off earlier.

Apparently the 4000's are more cut resistant than the old 3000's, but might not be as durable to long term wear/tear as the old 3000's (at least acc to what seems to me to be a reputable online store that shall remain nameless...I've never ridden the 3000's.)

The 4Season has the Duraskin sidewall (as does the Gatorskin). For winter riding w/ debris on the road, one might think this would help decrease flats. Wonder how much handling you lose though b/c of that Duraskin?
TJ

Our winter down under may not be as extreme. I find the GP 4000 handling more than adequate, way beyond my cornering limits and with this set I've never had a puncture, but this maybe due to the latex tubes. Also you can't go wrong, as most conti road tires are covered by the PTG in Australia (including the GP4000), https://www.conti.com.au/ptg.asp
Old 08-22-06, 07:34 AM
Ryleeryno
Über Member

Bikes: 2005 Trek 5000 (the last OCLV)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gatorskins - Love them, used them for 800 miles with no flats. Kind of heavy but very durable. Rear tire wears out quick...

GP4000 - Just got them, already have 150 miles on them and they handle better than the Gatorskins and are lighter. I hope they are as puncture resistant. I would love to try the Attack/Force combo.

Me
Old 08-22-06, 09:15 AM
jst

Bikes: KHS track, Cannondale tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to Ultra GatorSkin a couple of years ago, and the only flats I get now are when the tires are truely finished...usually around 2000 miles. I am a year-round commuter, recreational cyclist and track racer. The kevlar beaded folding version is the same weight as other high-performance tires. I used to ride GP 3000s (more flats but similar ride performance). I may try GP 4000s in the future, but I really have no complaints about the Ultra GatorSkins.
Old 08-22-06, 09:40 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks,
Have you ridden 4000's? If so, how do the 4Seasons handle in comparison? If not, how do they handle compared to any other Conti tire you've ridden?
Only relevant comparison would be to the Vittoria Rubino Pro's on my other bike. The Rubino's ride a bit nicer but aren't quite as tough - more nicks, starting to square a little from roller riding.

As to your other question - I'm riding 23's on both bikes. Honestly though, I'd have gone with 25s for the the winter bike if I had more clearance. I hate when leaves gum up in the fork and rear break.

Old 08-22-06, 10:57 AM
TJHOO
Senior but far from AARP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only relevant comparison would be to the Vittoria Rubino Pro's on my other bike. The Rubino's ride a bit nicer but aren't quite as tough - more nicks, starting to square a little from roller riding.

As to your other question - I'm riding 23's on both bikes. Honestly though, I'd have gone with 25s for the the winter bike if I had more clearance. I hate when leaves gum up in the fork and rear break.
Thanks.
Have Cyclocross bike w/ plenty clearance. Have 2 wheelsets for this bike. Thinking of 25 or 28's for most (dry) winter conditions and Cross tires on 1 set for worse/slushy conditions. What do you think...25 or 28? GP 4Season comes in folding 28.
Old 08-22-06, 11:18 AM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Gator Skins for my commuter. I haven't tried the others, but for puncture protection, I would say they are as good or better than Michelin carbons, only with extra kevlar belting for much better sidewall protection. Because of this, they seem to have a much rougher ride, and they do like having the pressure kept high. Preferably 110psi or higher, or pinch flats occur more often.
Old 08-22-06, 12:58 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've only used the GP4000s and GatorSkins. GatorSkins win, hands down. The folding 23s are only 25g heavier than GP4000s -- you are not going to notice that. Handling I noticed no difference whatsoever. BIG difference in number and frequency of flats, though.
Old 08-22-06, 01:17 PM
Sooner Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitions, please. 1) Tubular v. clincher. 2) "Folding" tire. Thanks.
Old 08-22-06, 01:49 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sooner Rider
Definitions, please. 1) Tubular v. clincher. 2) "Folding" tire. Thanks.
https://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-z.html#tubular
https://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cl.html#clincher

Folding, or "foldable" tires are simply easier to fold up into a somewhat compact package. Actually you can fold up non-foldable tires after a fashion, but foldable ones are designed to fold, you can get them small enough to stick in a jersey pocket or under your seat.
Old 08-22-06, 01:54 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.
Have Cyclocross bike w/ plenty clearance. Have 2 wheelsets for this bike. Thinking of 25 or 28's for most (dry) winter conditions and Cross tires on 1 set for worse/slushy conditions. What do you think...25 or 28? GP 4Season comes in folding 28.
If you have gravel situations or hard packed trails, I'd go with 28s.

On the other hand, if you have pretty decent roads with decent sidings and all it will be is some road salt, go with 25s, which will still let you hammer efficiently, and save the CX tires (say 32mm) of the bad stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.