Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Time to rescue a stuck, jungle junker. The 1986 Jim Merz Allez!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Time to rescue a stuck, jungle junker. The 1986 Jim Merz Allez!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 09:21 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Throw the gentle twisting out the window. Put the post in the vise, grab the seattube with one hand to steady the frame, the other on the headtube, and alternate pushing and pulling like an absolute madman.

Also, make sure to lubricate through the bottom bracket inverted. Trying to lubricate through the top isn't going to work; capillary action isn't going to pull it into the gap if/when it pops free.

-Kurt
Hmmm...I hope the bike can take it. We may break it. I mean, all in all we got it on the cheap, but still. If I break it, I'm only going to have the cheapo gaspipe stuff left.

Hey, let's break it!

In actuality, it is sitting, right now, inverted, bottom-bracket up, with the seat tube completely filled up to the top with ATF/Acetone mix. Grease is slathered all over the outside, especially around the bottle holder mount bolts, so it doesn't seep through.

But...reading between the lines here a little bit...

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 07-15-23, 09:24 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Old 07-15-23, 09:26 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
Kurt,
As I think about post count, I am not sure we can get to 2000 posts but I will try. I'm thinking we need to fabricate a special socket that can fit over the end of the seat post with two slots for the iron rod. Something that we can weld a 3/4" drive socket to, and then use a big boy toy to add some impact leverage to the post. your thoughts? Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-15-23, 09:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Hmmm...I hope the bike can take it. We may break it. I mean, all in all we got it on the cheap, but still. If I break it, I'm only going to have the cheapo gaspipe stuff left.

Hey, let's break it!

In actuality, it is sitting, right now, inverted, bottom-bracket up, with the seat tube completely filled up to the top with ATF/Acetone mix. Grease is slathered all over the outside, especially around the bottle holder mount bolts, so it doesn't seep through.

But...reading between the lines here a little bit...
Picture this: I'm rolling up to - virtually trackstanding - at a stop sign on a Guerciotti with EL-os tubing (and MAX chainstays for some reason, and just to add more confusion, a standard EL sticker was put on the bike instead of EL-OS). The lane width is tiny; about 8' wide on one side; 7' on my side (1920's road, mind) and bordered by an occupied parking space.

A wannabe near-centenarian Ayrton Senna cuts the apex of the intersection with his Mercedes. He is rounding the bend from my right and isn't opening up his turn. He's heading straight for me, dead-on. I see it coming and pedal hard left - the only direction I can go - but it's too late for action. He broadsides me just as I get turned, flinging me sideways onto the passenger fender. I slide off, face-first onto the asphalt, as the car finally comes to a stop.

The tri-color Shimano 600 crank was bent like a springer fork, the Cinelli Giro D'Italia bars bent in a new direction, and the downtube acquired a series of various interesting dents and creases in it.

I once put the frameset on a frame table for giggles. It's not in plane...but it's not twisted either, and could easily be cold-set back into alignment if one tried.

You, my friend, are not a Mercedes at 20mph.*

Plus, you'll be pulling on the frame in alternating directions. Even if you manage to cold-set the main triangle off plane, you'll get the seatpost out and can then put the frame on a frame table to re-align it (and as the source of this advice, I'll gladly offer it if you do bend it and don't mind the two-way shipping cost).

-Kurt

*nevertheless, you should be aware that you are a Huffy mechanic.

Last edited by cudak888; 07-15-23 at 09:49 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-15-23, 09:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

NOW we're talking. But point the seatpost straight up; don't follow the frame angles. Makes it MUCH easier to rotate.

Push HARD and keep pushing hard. You want to see flex in the frame and the post. Apply the pressure gradually and firmly, and keep increasing it. At some point, there will be a HUGE "pow" as the post breaks free momentarily. It will be just as stuck after the "pow;" this is your cue to reverse your motion and break it free again in the opposite direction.

Eventually, after the "pows," you'll start to get slightly less friction as the penetrating fluid you've dribbled down the BB begins to pull itself into the gap (however small).

Keep at it, eagerly awaiting updates.

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Kurt,
As I think about post count, I am not sure we can get to 2000 posts but I will try. I'm thinking we need to fabricate a special socket that can fit over the end of the seat post with two slots for the iron rod. Something that we can weld a 3/4" drive socket to, and then use a big boy toy to add some impact leverage to the post. your thoughts? Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
RJ the Bike Guy has a variation of that - drill the socket and the seatpost, bolt together, apply impact wrench. That's definitely what I'd suggest if this doesn't work.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-15-23, 10:00 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Lol…

Old 07-15-23, 10:02 PM
Mad Honk 

He already drilled the post now how to drill the socket? Maybe a version of a socket for an O2 Sensor, just on a bigger scale! Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-15-23, 10:09 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 332 Posts
I'm tellin' you, if you started with a hacksaw blade yesterday you'd be done by now, even if you did it by hand.
Old 07-15-23, 10:12 PM
Mad Honk 

Whatdahell is this! You already tore up the JB weld on the steel rod? How in Hades did you do that. Your huffy ways are showing... Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-15-23, 10:12 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Option #2..

..is failing

So now the dumb Huffy AND the dumb Allez are laughing at me. I think they are bonding, but over the wrong experiences here

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 07-15-23 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-15-23, 10:14 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

See how soft that aluminum is? Hacksaw will cut through that like butter. And you can totally feel the difference between the aluminum and the steel tube when you're hacksawing.
Old 07-15-23, 10:36 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 969 Posts
Lol
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 07-15-23, 11:01 PM
Mad Honk 

Okay! Got the center section of the bike slathered in grease, and have the seatpost filled all the way up with ATF juice. About 15min in, I moved it to the vise and tried some gentle/moderate twist action. Nothing yet. We’lol see where we are at tomorrow. I’m willing to give it a week, but if we can’t free it, it’s the nuclear option.

I even used the hammer action of my impact as I was getting the juice in there. Giving it the best shot I can!
So where did that week go? Your impatience has one again gotten you into trouble! I would suggest a step back and re-assess what you are doing. But what do I know?? Smiles, MH
Old 07-15-23, 11:21 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
So where did that week go? Your impatience has one again gotten you into trouble! I would suggest a step back and re-assess what you are doing. But what do I know?? Smiles, MH
Nah, I didn't go that hard at it. If it wouldn't have budged, I'd have waited a week. But before I got to that 'I'm gonna break the bike' feeling, the post buckled. Plus I believe the post is too big = wedge fit. Didn't take much pressure to crack that post up...I didn't even really wrench on it that hard. Wouldn'ta make a lick of difference waiting.

Going w/ my original plan.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 07-16-23 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-16-23, 06:16 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
I only taught a year of high school intro chemistry once, but elemental calcium is an alkali-earth metal. Calcium in our bones is part of a mineral hydroxyapatitie, written Ca 10(PO 4) 6(OH) 2. The other dominant component of our bones are collagens. So they're really more of a mineral-matrix composite (more like carbon fiber!) than metal. I hope that's not bad news for the steel-is-real metal bike fans here!

Metals should be temperature-conducting, thermal-conducting, ductile, and malleable. Bones are not those things. (Sorry to be pedantic.)
Not a problem, I do pedantic exceptionally well.
Lets really go pedantic. Is calcium a metal? Yes. Is it in your bones? Yes. So, there is metal in your bones, ergo metal bones.
Call ME pedantic, but you're picking nits. (And I said TECHICALLY)
If you REALLY want to have this discussion we can go PM.
Old 07-16-23, 06:25 AM
Schweinhund

Option #2..
.is failing
So now the dumb Huffy AND the dumb Allez are laughing at me. I think they are bonding, but over the wrong experiences here
my last resort, it worked. used a one handed sawzall.

Old 07-16-23, 06:31 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Is calcium a metal? Yes.
Elemental calcium is a metal.
The calcium in your bones isn’t elemental.
Old 07-16-23, 06:52 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
Elemental calcium is a metal.
The calcium in your bones isn’t elemental.
Is elemental Iron still iron, yes. Is colloidal silver still silver? again yes.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Calcium is a chemical element with the symbolCa and atomic number 20. As an alkaline earth metal, calcium is a reactive metal that forms a dark oxide-nitride layer when exposed to air. Its physical and chemical properties are most similar to its heavier homologues strontium and barium. It is the fifth most abundant element in Earth's crust, and the third most abundant metal, after iron and aluminium. The most common calcium compound on Earth is calcium carbonate, found in limestone and the fossilised remnants of early sea life; gypsum, anhydrite, fluorite, and apatite are also sources of calcium. The name derives from Latincalx "lime", which was obtained from heating limestone.
Old 07-16-23, 07:10 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 150 Posts
Thank you for deleting the personal attack from your original post.
Is elemental Iron still iron, yes.
You are reversing your logic here, versus your original argument re calcium in bones.

Is the iron in ferrous oxide still elemental? No,
is the calcium in calcium oxide still elemental? No.
Old 07-16-23, 07:16 AM
Schweinhund

You are reversing your logic here, versus your original argument re calcium in bones.

No I'm not. ALL CALCIUM is elemental. Calcium is a metal. it is in your bones.

Keep it up and I'll keep repeating it.
METAL BONES!!!!
Old 07-16-23, 09:00 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Option #2 isn't an option. Cut the collapsed part of the post off, and from this point forward, follow this particular RJ the Bike Guy method:

Be warned that the Sawzall method suggested above takes skill, and - personally - I don't trust this method on a frame with thin, quality tubing. It's very easy to go too far and put a tiny slice in the seattube. I consider it a last-resort method.

-Kurt

Old 07-16-23, 09:24 AM
albrt 

I am a cutter, but I do not advocate using a sawzall. Just a regular hacksaw blade held in my hand. Aluminum is soft. It takes a while, but far less time than has already been spent on chemicals and force multipliers.
Likes For albrt:
Old 07-16-23, 09:29 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
For my own unsticking challenges, I almost always use heat on the parts to add some thermal expansion to break to corrosion bond, and spraying hot metal with wd40 and such the cooling seems to suck the oil into the "joint". With aluminum like a stem or seatpost, putting a propane torch to the "part" works well and I've never cooked the paint off a steel frame.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 07-16-23, 10:06 AM
Schweinhund

How is it in the periodic table? hmm.
Just stop. You're not going to prove anyone wrong and you're beating a dead horse.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 07-16-23, 10:33 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 212 Posts
Not a problem, I do pedantic exceptionally well.
Lets really go pedantic. Is calcium a metal? Yes. Is it in your bones? Yes. So, there is metal in your bones, ergo metal bones.
Call ME pedantic, but you're picking nits. (And I said TECHICALLY)
If you REALLY want to have this discussion we can go PM.
I'm going to bow out at this point, and let us get back to the main thread.
Likes For mhespenheide:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.