Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any attachments to make pedaling more difficult?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Any attachments to make pedaling more difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 05:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Never Fails...

Wet finger in mouth and hold up finger. The cool side faces the wind. Ride that way until you are exhausted...
Old 03-31-17, 07:02 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbobbbb
Is there anything I could add on my bike that would recreate that, make it harder to pedal?
Of course there is, and you've been given plenty of great idea's here. But I challenge you to think big.

Here's my proposal:

A Pedi-cab trailer. You could charge people for tours of the city, while getting the improved workout you are missing out on by no longer dragging along a broken down wheel!

Pretty up the cab and include snacks and drinks for the whole experience. Imagine the thread possibilities here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pedi cab trailer.jpg (61.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 03-31-17, 07:08 AM
Fett2oo5

Bikes: '91 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put one of these on each pedal:

Make sure you get the steel one, if it's made of CF it might asplode
Old 03-31-17, 07:38 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Thick tacky grease in the wheel bearings helps to add some resistance. Also get some inexpensive kevlar belted tires (no more than $12 each) and run them at the minimum air pressure on the sidewalls, or slightly lower. And finally, wear tight bluejeans and a loose shirt when riding.

ps, I forgot to mention that you can get up to around 6 watts resistance with a bottle dynamo to power headlights. Get a couple, one for each wheel.

Last edited by wphamilton; 03-31-17 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 07:42 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Has anyone mentioned sand-filled tires yet?
Old 03-31-17, 10:14 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Back when indoor trainer stands were first being developed (at least the first time in my life) Racer Mate had an add onto the seat post axial fan (blower wheels) set up that they intended to be used when the bike was clamped to their support stand. This quickly evolved into having the fans mounted onto the stand directly. But this add on unit could also be used outside on the open road. I know a racer guy who did for his training. Andy(who made his own set for roller riding).
Old 03-31-17, 11:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Dry Sand or how about holding the brakes on ?
Old 03-31-17, 12:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

407 lbs.

Great for doing hill repeats. But, it does also slow a person down on level ground too.
Old 03-31-17, 12:59 PM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. It's a serious post. I've thought about it other times. The ideas are interesting but they don't all meet the specs, or at least what I'm thinking. I don't want to add extra weight to carry around, if it stresses out the rear wheel/spokes and then even the bike frame.

I actually use thorn inner tubes off and on. I can't tell a huge difference for preventing flats or for weight.

And I see someone actually built something like what I was thinking there.

I wondering if something -- something soft so it doesn't damage rims -- could slip between the brake pads and rim. It might not take much to get the effect I want. If the brakes can do a death grip pinch they'll stop still and probably wouldn't suddenly stop the wheel either. It would make noise though.

Otherwise maybe there's space to attach something beyond the splash guard that pushes on the tire like the wind fan clip on/"vintage" exercise bike idea.

Or even better, more secure, would be a V-shaped clip thing that has rollers. The more pinch (evenly on the rim) the more resistance.... Or replace the front brake with rollers somehow. Same idea, more pinch is more work. That would eliminate the brake pads themselves rubbing and wearing away on the rim. Or if the rollers could tension themselves for being able to spin while in contact with the wheel, then the roller/add-on would get the wear and tear instead of the rim so much.

Or use the splash guard. Stick something in (so it can fall away safely) that will rub against the wheel to add some amount of extra tension.

Last edited by bikerbobbbb; 04-02-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 01:05 PM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I actually use thorn inner tubes off and on. I can't tell a huge difference for preventing flats or for weight.
Do you use the correct ones?

I use these and they are really heavy. They have the 4mm walls.

I just measured the weight. 400 grams. A regular tube weighs about 100 grams.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=21342

Last edited by Barabaika; 03-31-17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-31-17, 01:12 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Two words: solid tires.
Old 03-31-17, 01:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Thanks. It's a serious post. I've thought about it other times. The ideas are interesting but they don't all meet the specs, or at least what I'm thinking. I don't want to add extra weight to carry around, if it stresses out the rear wheel/spokes and then even the bike frame.
Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 03-31-17, 01:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
[img]

407 lbs.

Great for doing hill repeats. But, it does also slow a person down on level ground too.
That's impossible. I've read it here many times on BF that weight doesn't matter on the flats.
Old 03-31-17, 02:48 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
That's impossible. I've read it here many times on BF that weight doesn't matter on the flats.
Next time you're in the area, I'll load you up with 1/4 ton, and you can judge for yourself. Even road crowns seem like major hills to go over, but I will say it gives one a workout.
Old 03-31-17, 02:49 PM
CliffordK

I wondering if something -- something soft so it doesn't damage rims -- could slip between the brake pads and rim. It might not take much to get the effect I want. If the brakes can do a death grip pinch they'll stop still and probably wouldn't suddenly stop the wheel either. It would make noise though.

Otherwise maybe there's space to attach something beyond the splash guard that pushes on the tire like the wind fan clip on/"vintage" exercise bike idea.

Or even better, more secure, would be a V-shaped clip thing that has rollers. The more pinch (evenly on the rim) the more resistance.... Or replace the front brake with rollers somehow. Same idea, more pinch is more work. That would eliminate the brake pads themselves rubbing and wearing away on the rim. Or if the rollers could tension themselves for being able to spin while in contact with the wheel, then the roller/add-on would get the wear and tear instead of the rim so much.
If you're riding with a slow companion, then that may be one thing. Otherwise, shift to a harder gear, and go faster, or hunt down a good hill.
Old 03-31-17, 03:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Any Airless foam filled flat proof tires I've seen, are heavy rolling..

Stationary bikes like Tunturi, drag the wheel with a brake pad .. maybe Wool felted brake pads..
Old 03-31-17, 04:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts

I think everyone has been trying to get the point across with humor.....but I will be direct this is basically a dumb idea.

There are a million other ways to get the desired result, many of which have been suggested seriously to you. Focus on those.

None of them put you at risk of sudden failure with an accompanying sudden stop and injury potential of some jury rigged friction device.

If there was a real need and benefit, someone would have such a product in production.

Old 03-31-17, 10:11 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Back when indoor trainer stands were first being developed (at least the first time in my life) Racer Mate had an add onto the seat post axial fan (blower wheels) set up that they intended to be used when the bike was clamped to their support stand. This quickly evolved into having the fans mounted onto the stand directly. But this add on unit could also be used outside on the open road. I know a racer guy who did for his training. Andy(who made his own set for roller riding).
I remember them and was thinking about suggesting it, however, I thought it would be difficult to hunt for the picture of it. At the time it was a great addition when using rollers because it added aerodynamic resistance. I don't have any experience with the fan or rollers.
Old 04-01-17, 07:25 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

And I see someone actually built something like what I was thinking there....
Tubes hardly do anything for resistance, don't believe the hype. But you can purchase an extra thorn layer that goes between the tube and tire.

Seriously something like this Forté Gotham ST Road and Mountain Tires - 700x32, 700x35, 26x1.75 or even https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-KWest-K.../dp/B00LQFPNO6 at low pressure will ratchet up your resistance. And I'm not kidding a couple of bottle dynamos on tight will drag you down. You don't have to mess up your bike or buy/make a contraption. The watts from these two things are probably a pretty large fraction of your usual power output (superman legs aside).
Old 04-01-17, 09:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I toured on a bike with TR tubes, I could feel when the PSI dropped, so I topped them up.

but this was a minor inconvenience, let the PSI drop too far and the tire torque shifts around the rim, on the rear ,

carrying the tube with it, the hole in the rim does not move, shearing the stem from the innertube... un fixable air loss, results.

To run low PSI the company in AK selling ,mountain bikes ridden year around in Fairbanks,

recommends gluing 1 tire bead to the rim, with sew up tire glue.

Old 04-01-17, 11:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Along the lines of the add on Racer Mate fan system and again borrower from thetraining market are fan blades that snapped onto one's wheel spokes. So the wheel became a fan, of sorts. By alternating the angle of the bladed additions the balance of side forces woud be maintained. I've seen this done with taping on plastic sheets. Andy.
Old 04-01-17, 11:55 AM
XCSKIBUM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Location: On the Tundra of Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?

Bikes: TBD

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let some air out of the tries.
Old 04-01-17, 03:48 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The shifter
Yes, always use a harder gearing for a given stretch of road. Of course OP could learn to spin...
Old 04-01-17, 04:59 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I know the feeling you have. I used to have this old 1950s bike, large heavy, carbon steel frame, large 28" wheels (635 tires), three speed Sturmey hub. I spend quite a bit of time gradually picking it completely appart, cleaning, greasing, oiling, reassembling it, rebuilding the wheels... I loved riding on this bike. After a couple of years with it as my main bike I went for a ride on a new racer, new fancy gears sliding up and down the cassette with impressive ease, narrow wheels, hardly any weight at all. You could get an old heavy bike with less gears, they are very nice to ride on when sorted out, but they are heavy and more work to pedal :- )
Old 04-02-17, 09:52 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Fill the tyres up with water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.