Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur skips the middle gear

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 03:27 AM
longhaulbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

My front derailleur wont pull the second gear and I can't figure out why.

The cable is taut but not tight, the low limit screw is blocking the inner plate of the derailleur so that this one almost touches the chain, and my derailleur has received a good shower of WD40. The cable and cable housing are new too.

What happens is that when I try to put the second gear the derailleur will instead go straight into the 3rd one, skipping the middle gear altogether.

Is there anything that I am missing maybe ?

Thanks
Old 04-08-17, 06:30 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The new shift wire and housing give a possible clue.
Do you have the shift wire routed properly vs the clamp screw? Many Shimano derailleurs non-obviously require the wire to go OVER the little tab near the screw. If you go under the tab direct to the screw, it shortens the lever arm and makes the shifter throw greater than intended.
Old 04-08-17, 07:47 AM
XCSKIBUM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Location: On the Tundra of Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?

Bikes: TBD

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Do you have the shift wire routed properly vs the clamp screw? Many Shimano derailleurs non-obviously require the wire to go OVER the little tab near the screw. If you go under the tab direct to the screw, it shortens the lever arm and makes the shifter throw greater than intended.

After checking the above:

Screw the cable adjuster all the way in, then back out a few turns. With the rear derailleur in one of the "middle cogs" place the shifter in the middle chainring position and adjust the cable length at the derailleur so that the chain runs in the center of the derailleur. You can now fine tune the adjustment with the cable adjustment.

That;s how I do it when a cable is changed. For more complete, in depth instructions;

HERE ARE SOME INSTRUCTION FROM PARK TOOL

Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 04-08-17 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-08-17, 09:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Can the OP shift the ft der with only pulling the bare inner cable (and not the control lever)? If so then the der's adjustments are close to correct. Then the next issue is as mentioned already, the communication link isn't set right or the lever has issues. But one can also check the lever by disconnection the cable from the der and while holding the loose cable end cycle the lever threw it's range to test it.

But since we don't know any actual specs we can only speculate. Is the lever an indexed one? What's the brand? Model? Road or other? Classic case of too little info to really be able to be specific to the OP's problem in replies. Andy.
Old 04-08-17, 04:35 PM
longhaulbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Wow, spot on. I'd have never figure that out by myself since the tab seems to actually have the entire opposite role, more so to hold the cable inside before it's rolled around the screw.

The lever now works soft and natural and I can see the derailleur shifting efortlessly.

Another thing now is that it doesnt shift from middle to first gear but I attribute that to the cable tension/limit screws, I'll run through everything again to make sure it's set properly.

Really appreciate all this anonymous help, thanks everyone !