Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 07:49 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Entdecker
I've been reading the posts for some time and want to thank everyone for sharing their expertise. Purchased a 2016 Crosstrail new abt. 2 month ago. A joy to ride that's for sure.

One complaint however, when I come off uneven levels or over wide cracks in the pavement, the fork clanks. Like there is a rubber washer missing somewhere. I took it to the shop where I purchased it and they fiddled with it and made it worse. It clanks whether it's locked or not. On small level changes, say abt. 2-5 cm. Nice CLANK!
Is this just inherent in the Crosstrail or a problem? Don't like the metal on metal sound. Not good long term IMO.
Some of you have put lighter forks on that look very appealing.
Thanks.
No, this is not normal. Take back to lbs to look further at it. Curious if you have video of noise? Might be something else but sounds like a suspension issue.
Old 06-12-17, 06:38 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by munkeyfish
I put it back to stock. It was pulling my front brake cable too tight and mad the disc rub and made it harder to pedal. Plus, I think it feels a bit better back to stock.
Mine has the hydraulic brakes so I didn't run into that problem. But I have been thinking of readjusting it back to a lower level as my "bike fitness" has definitely improved over the last few years.
Old 06-18-17, 05:49 PM
Gibbygoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13 years ago when I joined this forum I thought hybrids were for old people. Guess what? I'm almost 53 and want a hybrid for relaxed fitness ride after work and weekends. Looking at the Crosstrail...

I thought I wanted a mountain bike, so test rode a Rockhopper. It felt odd. The bars felt really low. I guess I'm not ready for a mountain bike. I've been riding my Disctrucker with Surly Open Bar handlebars, but can't get comfortable on it. I'll continue to figure that out, but want a dirt road ready bike for the trails near my house and short fitness rides around the neighborhood of under 10 miles. It sounds like folks here are happy with their CT. I'll try to test ride one within a couple weeks.

Last edited by Gibbygoo; 06-18-17 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-18-17, 08:58 PM
Entdecker
Falke

Bikes: 2016 specialized crosstrail sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Travelbikeman. No video, but I'll try to make one when I return (mid. July). I've locked the fork now and the clank is a lot less.
Tolerable now.
Old 06-18-17, 09:00 PM
Entdecker
Falke

Bikes: 2016 specialized crosstrail sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bibbygoo, I'd recommend a test ride on the Specialized Roll also.
Old 06-20-17, 11:16 AM
XCSKIBUM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Location: On the Tundra of Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?

Bikes: TBD

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gibbygoo
13 years ago when I joined this forum I thought hybrids were for old people. Guess what? I'm almost 53 and want a hybrid for relaxed fitness ride after work and weekends. Looking at the Crosstrail...

I thought I wanted a mountain bike, so test rode a Rockhopper. It felt odd. The bars felt really low. I guess I'm not ready for a mountain bike. I've been riding my Disctrucker with Surly Open Bar handlebars, but can't get comfortable on it. I'll continue to figure that out, but want a dirt road ready bike for the trails near my house and short fitness rides around the neighborhood of under 10 miles. It sounds like folks here are happy with their CT. I'll try to test ride one within a couple weeks.
I take my Crosstrail Sport on some pretty gnarly horse and snowmobile trails as well as abandoned RR beds that are used as ATV/bike/snowmobile trails. With Kenda Kross Plus tires it will roll easy on the pavement and when the surface gets soft the knobs on the edges will bite in.

The suspension fork smooths out tree roots and cobble, but it can be locked out for payment or hard packed trails.

Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 06-20-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 06:55 PM
mach250

Bikes: 17' Specialized Crosstrail Sport - 17' Specialized Jett Sport 29"

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was bored after a ride and wanted to see if my wifes Specialized Jett wheels and tires would fit on the crosstrail frame. The front has no issues but the rear rubs on the rear derailleur cable/kickstand mount. See the photos below for an idea.

Jett specs
  • FRONT TIRE

Ground Control Sport, 29x2.1", 60TPI, wire bead, Flak Jacket protection

• REAR TIRE

Fast Trak Sport, 29x2.0", 30TPI, wire bead, Flak Jacket protection

• RIMS

Stout 29, alloy disc, double-wall, pinned joint, 20mm inner width, 32h

Old 07-01-17, 09:45 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
So, am at 4K+ miles on the bike and just put on my third chain at 3800 miles. On the first chain I got 1200 miles with White Lighting, the second chain I got to 3800 miles using home brew Mobil 1/OMS. The third chain I decide to just us ProLink. On the install of the third chain under heavy load I would get a click or creak twice a revolution in the front chain rings. Kinda hard to tell. I have been just riding the bike as the noise was only on extreme hill climbing. It shifts perfectly in all gears. However in the last 50 miles it is skipping in the cassette under load. So, I need to get a new cassette and decided on this:

https://www.performancebike.com/bike...10551_1092186_ in 11/36 size.

I have been using this chain also after the original KMC chain:

Shimano CN-HG95 Mountain Bike Chain

My question is should I replace the chain rings? The reason is, when I look down on the large chain ring when riding it has a slight wobble. I measured the displacement and it is around 1MM. The small chain ring is fine.

From the spec sheet I kept on the Crosstrail it says this:

Cranks Custom Samox, forged alloy, 2x10, w/ chainguard - 44/32

Other than taking the bike back into the LBS to have them recommend what to buy, is there anyway I can figure this out?

I measured the large chain ring four bolt BCD and it is 104 mm. From Sheldon Brown's chain ring cheat sheet it points to:

ShimanoXT, LX 4-arm outer, Sugino MX350

Googling the above does not really help. Thanks for any advice on this. Oh and on the original click/creak I re-torqued the chain ring bolts and remounted the pedals. I also looked for any play in the BB, but it seems nice and tight.
Old 07-03-17, 07:28 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
3 chain in 4K miles ? Why are you replacing them so often ? I'm just curious.

Is the large chain ring "shark toothed" at all ? I would say if it looks okay, and it has 4K miles it should be okay, but changing it out should be pretty cheap ($20) for a chain ring, and they're easy to replace too.
Old 07-03-17, 09:06 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
3 chain in 4K miles ? Why are you replacing them so often ? I'm just curious.

Is the large chain ring "shark toothed" at all ? I would say if it looks okay, and it has 4K miles it should be okay, but changing it out should be pretty cheap ($20) for a chain ring, and they're easy to replace too.
Well in reality I got 1200 on the first chain. This was my first bike and I was talked into using White Lighting. I am not sure what I did wrong here as I followed what I was taught from a well seasoned rider that I know that gets 8K on his chains(road bike). Every hundred miles I would apply it from a cup and soak the chain using a small brush, catching the spill in the cup. So, since I use Mobil 1 for my automobiles I switch to that for the next chain, using this every 100 miles or so and got 2600 miles on the second chain. With the third chain now, I switched to ProLink and only have about 200 miles on this chain, but a click/creak started with this chain and now has progressed to a slip in the cassette. I am pretty anal on keeping the bike maintained, that may be my problem here as I over do things. The teeth are fine on the chain rings, my only concern was the wobble on the large chain ring.
Old 07-04-17, 01:08 AM
dbodboo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello crosstrail owners,

Anyone know what the inside diameter is of the headtube on the 2017 models?
Old 07-04-17, 08:18 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by themp
Well in reality I got 1200 on the first chain. This was my first bike and I was talked into using White Lighting. I am not sure what I did wrong here as I followed what I was taught from a well seasoned rider that I know that gets 8K on his chains(road bike). Every hundred miles I would apply it from a cup and soak the chain using a small brush, catching the spill in the cup. So, since I use Mobil 1 for my automobiles I switch to that for the next chain, using this every 100 miles or so and got 2600 miles on the second chain. With the third chain now, I switched to ProLink and only have about 200 miles on this chain, but a click/creak started with this chain and now has progressed to a slip in the cassette. I am pretty anal on keeping the bike maintained, that may be my problem here as I over do things. The teeth are fine on the chain rings, my only concern was the wobble on the large chain ring.
The original KMC chains on these bikes really don't last. I switched over to SRAM and it appears to be lasting me a lot longer. The KMC chain only last me 800 miles of my abuse. The SRAM lasted me 1400 miles. I too am now on the third chain with owning my Crosstrail for 2.5 years.

Road bikes do tend to have longer lasting chains and I believe it might be due to only having two chain rings and closer gearing in the cassette that does not wear out the chains as quickly as mountain bikes and hybrids do.
Old 07-05-17, 10:52 AM
MMABear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would love some experienced opinions!

A Crosstrail Disc is one of the 4 bikes I'm considering buying and would like to test ride. I'd love to hear your opinion on how it compares to the other 3.

Giant- Roam 2 Disc 2018
Trek- DS 2
Cannondale- Quick CX 4
Old 07-06-17, 06:47 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
So, am at 4K+ miles on the bike and just put on my third chain at 3800 miles.
I'm at 3500 and still on the original drivetrain components with no obvious issues. A lot of this might be due to the surfaces ridden on. I know that in my area there is one particular rail-trail with a very dusty crushed limestone surface and I make a point of it to rinse off my bike after any ride there since the limestone has a reputation for being highly corrosive. Likewise I swear I lost half the life of my brake pads on one long 50-mile rainy day last year on a crushed gravel trail where the surface grit would actually pack up in the caliper and make a grinding noise that I could only clear by lightly applying the brakes until it stopped.
Old 07-07-17, 01:17 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by MMABear
A Crosstrail Disc is one of the 4 bikes I'm considering buying and would like to test ride. I'd love to hear your opinion on how it compares to the other 3.

Giant- Roam 2 Disc 2018
Trek- DS 2
Cannondale- Quick CX 4
The really big differences might be some of these bikes might have slightly different geometry to fit you better than others. Which one do you like the look best?

But the very much biggest difference is which one would you like to ride the most and which LBS will give you the best service?
Old 08-23-17, 01:14 PM
dslteck

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Crosstrail

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CXtrailLB_zpsa3i41n04.jpg (97.7 KB, 297 views)
Old 09-02-17, 03:41 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I joined the club today and brought home a 2018 Crosstrail Sport. I test rode it a few weeks ago along with a Crosstrail Disc, a Trek DS2 and Cannondale CX4. I wanted to try a Trek DS3 and Cannondale CX3 but they have none in stock and would only order one if I purchased it. I'll see how the brain technology suspension fork plays out (no lockout) but did ride it on smooth and rough surfaces while test riding and rode the Crosstrail Disc on the same route as a comparison. I love the fast smooth shifting on the 2x9 drivetrain on the Sport and that's what made my mind up. It's been raining a LOT here in west central Florida so the real report on the comparison to my 10 year old Trek 7.2FX will be slightly delayed.

I have to say though - what's up with the piece of crap plastic pedals it?? I mean I realize that a lot of folks replace the pedals on a new bike, but there are just ridiculous!

Last edited by timgriffin2; 09-03-17 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 12:01 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I joined the club today and brought home a 2018 Crosstrail Sport. I test rode it a few weeks ago along with a Crosstrail Disc, a Trek DS2 and Cannondale CX4. I wanted to try a Trek DS3 and Cannondale CX3 but they have none in stock and would only order one if I purchased it. I'll see how the brain technology suspension fork plays out (no lockout) but did ride it on smooth and rough surfaces while test riding and rode the Crosstrail Disc on the same route as a comparison. I love the fast smooth shifting on the 2x9 drivetrain on the Sport and that's what made my mind up. It's been raining a LOT here in west central Florida so the real report on the comparison to my 10 year old Trek 7.2FX will be slightly delayed.

I have to say though - what's up with the piece of crap plastic pedals it?? I mean I realize that a lot of folks replace the pedals on a new bike, but there are just ridiculous!
Photo's would be nice!!! Yea, my plastic pedals are lasting me a long long time......in a storage container!
Old 09-06-17, 12:56 PM
dslteck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill post close-up photos of the pedals tonight when I get home. Now that we are on the subject, last weekend while riding up a rather large hill I shifted and about lost it when my right foot slipped off the pedal. It about ripped my leg off. If anyone reading or following this thread has replaced your pedals what did you replace them with? I would like a good platform pedal with aggressive grip and I would rather not use cleated shoes if possible.
Old 09-06-17, 01:18 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by dslteck
Ill post close-up photos of the pedals tonight when I get home. Now that we are on the subject, last weekend while riding up a rather large hill I shifted and about lost it when my right foot slipped off the pedal. It about ripped my leg off. If anyone reading or following this thread has replaced your pedals what did you replace them with? I would like a good platform pedal with aggressive grip and I would rather not use cleated shoes if possible.
This!

The stock pedals are my only complaint about my Crosstrail. They have no grip.

I had bought a pair of pinned aluminum pedals but the overly aggressive pins just tore the soles of my shoes up. (Thanks for that bomb proof return policy, REI!)

I'd like something that's grippy, but not sharp.
Old 09-06-17, 04:58 PM
dslteck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stock pedals.
Attached Images
20170906_171940_zpsijl6tkay.jpg (93.1 KB, 256 views)
20170906_171950_zpsieulkjvu.jpg (96.7 KB, 254 views)
Old 09-06-17, 07:21 PM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dslteck
The stock pedals on my 2013 are all plastic (except for the axle). I learned this when I broke off the front side of one when climbing a hill. I went to the bike shop and picked up a set of aluminum pedals made by Specialized. They sound the same as or similar to the ones Skipjack mentioned. The pins appear to be the allen head set screws set about 3/16" proud of the top of the pedal.

I think they are going to be a bit hard on the soles of my sneakers, but that is fine with me. Very grippy, my feet don't slip at all!

Jeff
Old 09-09-17, 06:16 PM
travbikeman

For the first year riding my Crosstrail, I used these DMR v8's, they had good grip most of the time (there were a few times it bloodied my leg), but were heavy and these will eat cheap shoes. I tested clipless nearly 2 years ago and never went back.

DMR V8 Pedals > Components > Pedals > Platform Pedals | Jenson USA

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-09-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 06:21 PM
travbikeman

Now, I did get these for my now 13 year old son's bike. They're not overally aggressive but will hold your foot in place. Plus their nice and light and feel good:

Forté Transfer Platform Pedals
Old 09-09-17, 06:23 PM
travbikeman

Nashbar has something similar to Performance Bikes, but the pins are plastic and not medal screws. Shouldn't tear up shoes:

Nashbar Groove Platform Pedals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.