Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Six-year Old Dies on East Bay MUP

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 06:08 AM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here’s a link to the article about this tragic accident: Officials to examine R.I. bike path safety after boy dies in crash - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

To view the intersection of the road and the MUP in RideWithGPS, search for “Poppasquash Rd and East Bay Bike Path, Bristol, RI”

Here are a couple of pictures that show the road that crosses the bike path where the accident happened.
Eastbound (bike path left to right):

Westbound (bike path left to right):

The article states that RI DOT will be examining what enhancements can be made to the bike path to make it safer.

Questions …

Is the signage adequate at this trail crossing? Does the sign with the bicycle picture and arrow even let drivers know there is a bike crossing? Couldn’t that arrow be interpreted to mean that bikes may be riding along the side of the road (like a “Share the Road” sign)?

Crosswalks often have freestanding signs right on the centerline of the road that warn drivers to yield to pedestrians. This intersection had no such signage at the crosswalk.What signage should be deployed where roads cross MUPs and what exactly should the signs say?

Are the road markings adequate at this trail crossing? RideWithGPS shows standard crosswalk markings on the road although they appear to be badly faded. The path was recently redone so hopefully the crosswalk markings are more visible now. What road markings should used where a road crosses a MUP?

What criteria should be used to determine whether a traffic signal should be used at these crossings? Should the determination be based on the volume of cars, the volume of MUP users, the budget or something else? When should traffic signals be controllable by cyclists and pedestrians? Should they be triggered automatically by cyclists and pedestrians on the MUP?

At this particular crossing, especially traveling eastbound, the foliage is very dense on both sides of the road just before the MUP. What line of sight should be required where a road crosses a MUP?

What about speed limits? This road has a 25-mph limit. Is that slow enough? Most school zones in my town require 20-mph. What speed limit would you set?

What other changes would you make to the road to make the intersection safer?All of the questions above address possible changes to the road. The MUP itself could use some safety enhancements.

At this intersection, it seems like the main safety features are a stop sign and some crosswalk markings for MUP users. Many MUPs use a gate or some other type of barrier to force cyclists to slow down or even stop. Clearly a stop sign was not adequate to keep a six-year old from crossing the road.

What safety treatments should MUPs receive at road crossings? If you don’t think that “one size fits all”, what criteria would you use to determine what treatments should be deployed?

Last edited by welshTerrier2; 07-27-18 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 01:06 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Why the endless wall of text with innumerable amounts of unanswerable questions?
Along with out dated pics.
Seriously?
Old 07-27-18, 02:50 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I ride through there frequently. There are a number of road crossings with poor sight lines due to shrubbery. In a few other places shrubs grow out into the bike path pushing cyclists toward the middle making passing slight ly chancy. Occasionally I go out on pruning rides with clippers to improve things.

It is a great shame that there must be a tragic event before anyone decides to take corrective action. To my mind, just about the most tragic thing that can happen is when a child does not get the opportunity to grow and experience all life has to offer.
Old 07-27-18, 04:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
the duty should always be on the car to stop becuz its a 3000 pound bullet essentially.

i say solution is to put the driver in jail for a few years to deterother reckless nonattentive drivers.

second, install speed bumps to force cars to slow down to 15 mph at that intersection. cheap and easy solutiion.
Wrong if the kid ran the stop sign (which we don't know) tragic as it is it is the kid's fault. If the car was going 100 mph such that it was not visible to cyclist stopping and then proceeding then the driver was at fault

not enough info to speculate

Old 07-27-18, 05:51 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 376 Posts
the duty should always be on the car to stop becuz its a 3000 pound bullet essentially.

i say solution is to put the driver in jail for a few years to deterother reckless nonattentive drivers.

second, install speed bumps to force cars to slow down to 15 mph at that intersection. cheap and easy solutiion.
love it. Car is always at fault. Regardless of the fact that it appears that the road crossing the bike path clearly has the right of way.

Do you wan to be imprisoned because a child darts out in front of you, on the sole basis that you drove the heavier vehicle.

I completely agree there's too little information to speculate.

But "lock the driver up" on the sole basis that he/she operated the heavier vehicle is absurd.

Oops, sorry I forgot this A&S
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-27-18, 08:07 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I see cyclists not stop for MUP stop signs a lot on Cape Cod. I think they run them because most cars stop to let them cross the road and this seems to cause cyclists to think they have the right away. I was riding my bike on the road and a cyclist ran the MUP stop sign right in front of me and I was the one that was yelled at by him. All I could do was laugh.
Old 07-28-18, 04:21 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
where roads cross MUPs and what exactly should the signs say?
"Stop"
Old 07-29-18, 12:16 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I rode my bike through that crossing several days after the boy was killed but I was on the road. I stopped for a few minutes and the site had many flowers, some teddy bears, candles and a few hand written cards in envelopes, probably with condolences for the family. I also noticed the bushes were cut back with a brush hog. The bike path is maintained by RI Parks and Recreation which I suppose are the people who did the brush clearing. There are several other areas with less than ideal sight lines and I hope they get around to further clearing. Generally, the Park service does a fine job of maintenance with the verge mowed weekly, supporting a nice crop of grass, which the geese love.
Old 07-29-18, 04:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
Stop signs on a bike path are complex.

Technically, a car should always stop for a person in a crosswalk (or about to enter a crosswalk). However, a bike travelling 10 to 20 MPH can appear out of nowhere in the middle of the crosswalk. This is especially a problem when visibility is reduced.

Thus... the cars should yield for bikes, but the bikes should learn to never cross in front of a moving vehicle.

And, of course, shrubs, trees, and shadows. and corners can both make it more difficult to see bikes, as well as vehicles.

Well positioned trigger (or trip) operated flashing lights can be helpful, but one still has to respect the rule to never cross in front of a moving vehicle.
Old 07-29-18, 05:35 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Technically, a car should always stop for a person in a crosswalk (or about to enter a crosswalk). However, a bike travelling 10 to 20 MPH can appear out of nowhere in the middle of the crosswalk.
How many six year olds on bicycles are moving at 20 mph, let alone 10 mph?

Never mind, this is a tragic “accident” and no charges are anticipated

-mr. bill
Old 07-30-18, 07:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18471 Post(s)
Liked 15,737 Times in 7,399 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
love it. Car is always at fault. Regardless of the fact that it appears that the road crossing the bike path clearly has the right of way.

Do you wan to be imprisoned because a child darts out in front of you, on the sole basis that you drove the heavier vehicle.

But "lock the driver up" on the sole basis that he/she operated the heavier vehicle is absurd.

I strongly suggest that you add him to your ignore list. He regularly posts inanity just to get a rise out of people.

In any event...Many years ago a local guy was hit at a crossing similar to this. He posted on my club's email list, warning everyone about the "dangerous" intersection. The crossing does have a poor sightline going in the direction that he was travelling. But in railing against the intersection he admitted that he saw, but totally ignored the, stop sign.
Old 07-31-18, 01:18 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Unauthorized Tactical Urbanism.

Good for them.

-mr. bill
Old 07-31-18, 01:31 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the older pictures it looks like (to a 6 yr old) that the path just goes and they have the right of way which they do but don't tempt 3000 lb monsters because the white lines go across the road. Its almost hard to tell any difference between mup and road. In the newer pic which they are actively trimming with a crossing guard and fresh paint i'd guess this is immediately after it happened for how long will they keep a crossing guard at every crossing. I'd think maybe yellow caution strips across the ground coming in and out of the mup to alert people to a road crossing if they're looking down or can't read. Of course parents need to teach their kids and have control of them but they may not even know when crossings are coming up. I often see kids getting away from parents on mups. The whole world can't be padded and safe though at least i don't want it to be. I'm often surprised by how many people do stop for you. I think the responsibility should be on the parents to actually stop at every intersection and walk the kids across until the kids know it and wait and walk across. The rest of us can just rolling stop like we always do if that. Parents also need to recognize it isn't a closed track and traffic does come across it. Gates seem too much but building with proper sight lines and more signage and paint could help but things get old and worn,
Old 07-31-18, 01:59 PM
CliffordK

We have a couple of stop signs on roads with road wide rumble strips, starting about 50 feet back from the crossing.

The rumble strips are a major annoyance for bicycles, but probably not actually that harmful.

Would a similar thing on bike paths help alert snoozy cyclists to dangerous traffic conditions?
Old 07-31-18, 02:03 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's too easy for a young rider to get out ahead of a walking parent. Our rail trail has gates and/or poles to negotiate which helps to slow trail riders down a little. Sad story.
Old 07-31-18, 02:13 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Number400
It's too easy for a young rider to get out ahead of a walking parent. Our rail trail has gates and/or poles to negotiate which helps to slow trail riders down a little. Sad story.
Oh, the Katy Trail in Missouri had wicked gates.

But, that does give an idea.

What about trail wide swinging gates.

Hit the button, and the gate swings from across the trail to across the road. Then after a minute or so, one gets some beeps and flashes, and the gate swings back across the bike path.

Somewhat like a railroad gate, but swinging/rotating instead allowing blocking both directions with a single gate.

Well... two gates, one on each side of the road. So, if the bike path is about a lane wide, the swinging gate one each side of the road would block one bike path and one lane of traffic.

Last edited by CliffordK; 07-31-18 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 02:56 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
If I were driving my car there I would obey the traffic signs and the law. I'd do the same on a bicycle. The fault here lies with the party that did not obey the law and signage.
Old 07-31-18, 03:30 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If I were driving my car there I would obey the traffic signs and the law. I'd do the same on a bicycle. The fault here lies with the party that did not obey the law and signage.
It is hard to believe that any kid survives through childhood and past adolescence. They're learning, and they make mistakes.

Fortunately doctors are good at mending cuts and broken bones. But, not all can be healed.

Technically the cyclists should yield for road users, and road users should stop for people in the crosswalk.

The accident was likely caused by a compounding of errors. Child not looking. Poor visibility. Poor trail markings. Poor road markings. Car not adequately slowing. Color choice of clothing?

One can blame the victim, or blame the vehicle driver... Or one could take steps to make the crossing safer for the next child and vehicle that encounters at that intersection.
Old 07-31-18, 03:40 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, the Katy Trail in Missouri had wicked gates.

But, that does give an idea.

What about trail wide swinging gates.

Hit the button, and the gate swings from across the trail to across the road. Then after a minute or so, one gets some beeps and flashes, and the gate swings back across the bike path.

Somewhat like a railroad gate, but swinging/rotating instead allowing blocking both directions with a single gate.

Well... two gates, one on each side of the road. So, if the bike path is about a lane wide, the swinging gate one each side of the road would block one bike path and one lane of traffic.
If you're going to spend that kind of money there should be tunnels or bridges at every intersection every half mile or 2 blocks whatever the case may be. Then we might as well all walk or stay home because its too dangerous to go outside.
Old 07-31-18, 04:28 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

It is hard to believe that any kid survives through childhood and past adolescence. They're learning, and they make mistakes.

Fortunately doctors are good at mending cuts and broken bones. But, not all can be healed.

Technically the cyclists should yield for road users, and road users should stop for people in the crosswalk.

The accident was likely caused by a compounding of errors. Child not looking. Poor visibility. Poor trail markings. Poor road markings. Car not adequately slowing. Color choice of clothing?

One can blame the victim, or blame the vehicle driver... Or one could take steps to make the crossing safer for the next child and vehicle that encounters at that intersection.

The markings were kinda my point. Some people seemed to suggest the motorist had a duty to stop. When I drive I stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. The law requires it, and I am conditioned to do it. As cautious as I am, I don't know that I could have stopped in time had a kid rolled into the intersection there. What kind of sight lines did the motorist have? With signage directing a car to slow or stop, this may not have happened. We can only hold the parties involved to a standard required by law and or directed by signage.
Old 07-31-18, 04:31 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
If you're going to spend that kind of money there should be tunnels or bridges at every intersection every half mile or 2 blocks whatever the case may be. Then we might as well all walk or stay home because its too dangerous to go outside.
I haven't priced industrial materials lately, but it sounds like the swinging guard arm would be a lot less expensive than tunnels or bridges.
Old 07-31-18, 04:37 PM
adablduya

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

it looks to me that the roadway doe not have stop signs; additionally, the "outdated" pic shows stop signs on the MUP. assuming that is true, then why would a car have a duty to stop ? speed bumps ? great idea ....
Old 07-31-18, 04:38 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
The cost of an electric swinging gate is likely on the order of $1000 per gate.

Mom has one on her driveway, and they are pretty common, although one might do something a little different than a farm gate.

Of course, it is a government job so push that up to $10,000, but it isn't something that would break the bank.

How much is your kid's life worth?

Then, of course, where is it appropriate? Probably not on a path that crosses a road every 100 yards. But, it may well be appropriate on a path like the one above that appears to be a somewhat isolated intersection.

Bridges are good, but potentially expensive.

Tunnels are an option, especially in areas like along freeways where there are already road cuts or elevation changes, or along rivers and canals.

I've seen places that just used really big corrugated culvert material for the tunnel.
Old 07-31-18, 04:42 PM
adablduya

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

wrong. car is not ALWAYS at fault. if the car had the right of way, then short of negligence (speeding, etc.), the driver is not at fault. can't be at fault if you have the right of way.
Old 07-31-18, 04:44 PM
adablduya

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
exactly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.