Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drop bar conversion shifter options?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drop bar conversion shifter options?

Old 01-10-17, 11:45 AM
dubes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe not, but the OP asked the question 4 years ago. I don't care to admit how many bikes I've gone through over that period.
Old 01-10-17, 12:09 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 127 Posts
Cheap electronic shifting can't get here fast enough... shift pads up on the flats, and a duplicate set down in the hooks... sweet...
Old 01-10-17, 12:23 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 68 Posts
I'm kind of in the pre-process of converting my giant escape hybrid into a drop bar, poor man's cross. i have spare bars and stems, and I'm waiting on shipment for 2x8 microshift I got on ebay for effectively nothing (ebay credit and xmas gift), so I think I need the cassette, $30 claris crankset (46-34 on nashbar),octalink BB, front mech, and travel agents (or possibly convert the v-brakes, depending on what is cheaper). i haven't totally committed to this yet, the fork on the hybrid is heavy (steel), so I may find myself wanting something lighter if I try to ride competitively with it
Old 01-10-17, 12:58 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
Thanks for the information.
Yes, I am aware of the Road shifter + 9sp MTD RD combi.
A few things dissuaded me from going this route.

1. I could not find a shop/person who has done this (in case I run into shifting issues)
2. I wanted the shadow+ thats on the newer XT.
3. The price of the 9sp XT RD was no different to a new XT (at least where I am), there was also an availability issue.
4. As I ride in a loose group at a fast speed (for a mini velo), the tighter span of a 10sp is preferred.
4. The XT shifter and Tektro brake levers were much cheaper than brifters and I know I don't need brifters since I tend to ride in loose groups at most when on the mini velo (as opposed to the need for faster reaction when I am on the RB in a peleton).

The bar is a 'fixie bar', typically used on fixed gear bikes.
The clamp diameter is 24.5mm while the rest of the bar is 22.2mm.
So the shifter can be 'wiggled' into the bend parts of the bar up to the top.
However, if the bar has a tight bend, then that may pose a problem.

I have 2 bikes setup this way, so I would think that it would not be too hard to get the right bar.
They are like $10 each anyway, even if I get one that can't thread thru the shifter.
I'd never heard of modern drop bars in 22.2 mm diameter, that's a cool find. Though I doubt there are very many geometry choices, for those of use that like flare or ergonomic bends.
Did you use smaller clamps for the brake levers as well?

You're correct that the Shadow+ derailleurs (10 and 11 spd MTB with a clutch) aren't index-compatible with any Shimano road shifters. Though I've heard of them being used successfully with friction shifters, like downtube or bar-end mounts.

Shimano 10-speed road indexed shifters (except Tiagra 4700) still use the legacy SIS cable pull. They index 10 cogs perfectly when paired with a 9-speed Shimano RD, because they're both designed for the same standard.
This allows a wide-range cassette--but no clutch on the RD.

I use an XT RD-M772 (9s, Shadow, no clutch) with 10-speed BS-78 bar-ends on my touring bike.
I equipped my girlfriend's new 'cross bike with 105 5800 10-speed STIs, mated to another RD-M772.
Both setups can fit a 34t big cog and index perfectly.
With this combo, we get 1 to 1 low gearing with a compact 50/34 crank, and even lower with a 30t triple crank.

I keep an eye out for 9 speed MTB RDs; I find them for $20 or less at bike swaps or online.

You have a handsome bike, and you managed to get a 10-speed clutch RD to work with drop bars. Great job!

Do you notice the smaller diameter of the handlebars at all? I suppose you could just wrap the tape thicker if you did.
Old 01-10-17, 08:06 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Yes, the Shadow+ has a RD lockout that reduces chain slap (and falloff) which is a plus running a 1x .
Its also positioned more inward and less likely to scrape in case the bike falls over.

For those who want some idea of the bar I used, here are 2 (I actually bought both; but used the first one)
https://world.taobao.com/item/369864...?fromSite=main
https://world.taobao.com/item/520807...?fromSite=main

Lots of good info on the STI+9sp RD, I might still do this on my tribike
Old 01-13-17, 02:56 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
good luck with this,

and compatibility charts go a long way and save headaches Celebrazio: Bicycling - Shimano Road Bike Parts Compatibility
Old 01-13-17, 01:30 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
good luck with this,

and compatibility charts go a long way and save headaches Celebrazio: Bicycling - Shimano Road Bike Parts Compatibility
Those compatibility charts are cool, but they don't address cross-capability between MTB and Road Shimano systems, which is the crux of this discussion.
Old 01-13-17, 02:17 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa View Post
Those compatibility charts are cool, but they don't address cross-capability between MTB and Road Shimano systems, which is the crux of this discussion.
They exist to on places like the Sheldon brown site, but take a little more searching but take a little more finesse. every generation of group set is basically the same just made from different materials, and to serve a different purpose either road or dirt. So it limits the cross compatibility across years and across purpose but of course with research anything is possible.