Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank Brothers iodine SL headset.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-19, 03:04 AM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Hi , on my Iodine sl all mountain Crank Brothers headset the lower and upper split ring washer are lost , I need pics of these washers here link from CB.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/re...-crankbrothers

Old 11-23-19, 08:38 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
And the question is?

Contact your local Crank Bros importer.

Realistically, scrap the headset (sell on ebay for spares/metal recycle) and get a new one, as part will probably cost more than it's worth.
Old 11-23-19, 11:49 AM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by jimc101
And the question is?

Realistically, scrap the headset (sell on ebay for spares/metal recycle) and get a new one, as part will probably cost more than it's worth.
thank,s

Last edited by brooklyn6640; 11-23-19 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 02:58 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Agree with first point. On 2nd point, not so sure: the iodine headsets list for 70 and 100 bucks (here: Crank Brothers Directset Iodine - $72.95 - Bike Parts 360). You can find other headsets for less (into the 20 dollar range), but the Iodine isn't cheap. Another issue is that it doesn't appear that Crank Brothers still offers those headsets. The listing above may be old.

If you want to try to get parts, first, note that there is no "split ring washer". The upper split ring is a bearing race, not a washer. The lower part, that you've circled, is a seal. If not, finding parts may be impossible. You could try
0) Check with Crank Brothers (info below) to see if they can help
1) Find the parts you need by hunting them down on the interweb - you can find split ring races and seals online.
2) Going to a local bike shop or coop and see if they have parts that could substitute (there should be some wiggle room regarding the upper split ring race wrt sizing)
3) Of course, you could buy a new headset.

949-464-9916, info@crankbrothers.com

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 11-23-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 03:31 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
If you want to try to get parts, first, note that there is no "split ring washer". The upper split ring is a bearing race, not a washer.
I believe that "split ring" is the conical compression ring that keeps the upper bearing cartridge centered on the steerer. It's not part of the bearing assembly. I agree the lower item is just a dust seal, probably rubber or plastic.

Neither part is going to be easy to source as replacement items and starting from scratch with a new headset is probably the best approach. Note the OP is in Spain and likely doesn't have access to many of our (USA) suppliers.
Old 11-23-19, 03:52 PM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by HillRider
I believe that "split ring" is the conical compression ring that keeps the upper bearing cartridge centered on the steerer. It's not part of the bearing assembly. I agree the lower item is just a dust seal, probably rubber or plastic.

Neither part is going to be easy to source as replacement items and starting from scratch with a new headset is probably the best approach. Note the OP is in Spain and likely doesn't have access to many of our (USA) suppliers.
many thanks for all your answer here impossible to find spare parts for components discontinued , CB don,t make this headset ( is made in taiwan Mail sent to Crank Brothers for these parts ,waiting answer, thank,s again
Old 11-24-19, 10:58 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by HillRider

I think you're right HillRider about the split ring spacer (and should have figured that out given my own experience with a modern headset). Still, I have a question. The picture in the docs shows a lower crown race. This implies (to me) that the lower bearing is a traditional angular contact bearing with the crown race (cone) on the fork crown and the cup race on the frame. But I see no loose bearings or bearings in retainers in the pic. So is the set up cartridge bearings top and bottom? Is the "crown race" just a positioning spacer for the lower cartridge bearing?

In thinking about this a bit, I actually think you could have a setup where you had a split race and loose or retained ball bearings. Would save size and weight. Probably no effect on performance as the top bearing is very lightly loaded.

How different are the split-ring spacers between mfrs? Couldn't the op try to find a split ring that works with his setup?
Old 11-24-19, 11:51 AM
brooklyn6640

I think you're right HillRider about the split ring spacer (and should have figured that out given my own experience with a modern headset). Still, I have a question. The picture in the docs shows a lower crown race. This implies (to me) that the lower bearing is a traditional angular contact bearing with the crown race (cone) on the fork crown and the cup race on the frame. But I see no loose bearings or bearings in retainers in the pic. So is the set up cartridge bearings top and bottom? Is the "crown race" just a positioning spacer for the lower cartridge bearing?

In thinking about this a bit, I actually think you could have a setup where you had a split race and loose or retained ball bearings. Would save size and weight. Probably no effect on performance as the top bearing is very lightly loaded.

How different are the split-ring spacers between mfrs? Couldn't the op try to find a split ring that works with his setup?
This hs have sealed bearing not loose bearing or retainer.
if CB stops marketing it will be for a reason, stainless steel very fragile and brittle. I will not break my head to find spares parts for this HS. Maybe I install it as well and wait and see.thank,s again.
Old 11-24-19, 12:01 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Ah, yes, I see that the sl version is "silver" meaning SS. BTW, Not all SS is fragile and brittle - Reynolds 953 is marketed as stainless (technically, its a high nickel maraging steel). There are aerospace bearings made from stainless, and you see a lot of premium bearings advertised as stainless. But did your headset break?

BTW, looking at the advert I cited above does seem to indicate that this has cup/cone and loose or retained balls in the bottom, and a cartridge bearing in the top. So you need the seal for the bottom, and the split positioner for the top. I suspect you should be able to experiment and find a split positioner for the top at the bike store, co-op, or on the interweb. Should be able to make a seal from neoprene sheet. Depends on how mechanically adept and patient you are, and how willing you are to spend time doing this. If time is valuable, get a new headset.

But first, write Crank Bros and see if they have parts to help you.
Old 11-24-19, 12:11 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Still, I have a question. The picture in the docs shows a lower crown race. This implies (to me) that the lower bearing is a traditional angular contact bearing with the crown race (cone) on the fork crown and the cup race on the frame. But I see no loose bearings or bearings in retainers in the pic. So is the set up cartridge bearings top and bottom? Is the "crown race" just a positioning spacer for the lower cartridge bearing?
Cartridge bearing headsets have what is actually just a base plate to support and position the lower cartridge and it isn't really a "crown race". However, they are very often referred to as crown races even though its a misnomer. Chris King properly calls it a "base plate" but other makers like Cane Creek still call it a crown race.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 11-24-19, 12:12 PM
brooklyn6640

Ah, yes, I see that the sl version is "silver" meaning SS. BTW, Not all SS is fragile and brittle - Reynolds 953 is marketed as stainless (technically, its a high nickel maraging steel). There are aerospace bearings made from stainless, and you see a lot of premium bearings advertised as stainless. But did your headset break?

BTW, looking at the advert I cited above does seem to indicate that this has cup/cone and loose or retained balls in the bottom, and a cartridge bearing in the top. So you need the seal for the bottom, and the split positioner for the top. I suspect you should be able to experiment and find a split positioner for the top at the bike store, co-op, or on the interweb. Should be able to make a seal from neoprene sheet. Depends on how mechanically adept and patient you are, and how willing you are to spend time doing this. If time is valuable, get a new headset.

But first, write Crank Bros and see if they have parts to help you.
they are sealed bearing inside cup, not cone and loose or retainer balls ,both up and down,
sorry for my english. Mail sent to CB , waiting answer.