Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

About "Support local bike shops"

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

About "Support local bike shops"

Old 02-02-20, 06:18 PM
OuterMarker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
If you don't sell your house, spouse, and children and give all proceeds to the local bike shop, if you don't enter into indentured servitude, a lifetime contract guaranteeing them all your time and energy for lodgings in a dog house out back and daily rations of a can of dog food, if you don't also convince your friends to do likewise ... then You and you alone are responsible for the death of "cycling culture.
That's my thought too. I get it that a LBS is nice, but there are other things I value more. That Canyon was $900 cheaper than any bike I could have gotten in a LBS. On top of that, they would have had to order it anyway and the color options where meh. Even if I did have an issue with the Canyon, I could have paid to send it back the the manufacturer or any other bike shop in the world and still be out ahead.
Old 02-02-20, 06:26 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Do you have XXXX spokes? No

Do you have XXXX shorts? No

Do you have XXXX shoes? NO

Do you have XXXX rim? No

But we will be happy to order it for you for an additional $30.

The topper for me was when I went into a bike shop for a Conti GP4000II. Tagged at $76, manager's wife tried to charge me $80. But the tag on the box says $76.

Well that is a mistake, the price is $80. BUT this time you got lucky and I will charge you only $76.

Oh, I got lucky? You know I can get the tire online for $36? I plan ahead, order 3 for free shipping and I get 3 for about the price I am going to pay her for one, and I got lucky?

Here is your tire, see ya!
Old 02-02-20, 07:27 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Need some new cleats bad. 26 bucks shipped from amazonia. Arrives in a few days as I am not Prime member. LBS had them in the shop for 35. Can put them on tonight. Not really sure what I am going to do. I do not have money to burn like I did when I was young. 10 bucks is a burger.
Old 02-02-20, 08:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Need some new cleats bad. 26 bucks shipped from amazonia. Arrives in a few days as I am not Prime member. LBS had them in the shop for 35. Can put them on tonight. Not really sure what I am going to do. I do not have money to burn like I did when I was young. 10 bucks is a burger.
Since we are criticizing the spending of others here, if you dont have money to burn like when you were younger, buy some ground beef and buns from the store. $10 is 6 burgers.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-02-20, 09:11 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
My money, my business..... Period. If someone doesn't like my choices, so what.

If you need an lbs for service, great. I haven't had a bike in a shop since 95, and that was only because I was too busy working out of town to do the job myself.

The only things I've been buying at the lbs lately are tubes, patches, and e-gels....And they stopped carrying the e-gels.
Old 02-02-20, 09:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by OuterMarker
Everyone got to have a first post eventually.

The original comment was on a facebook group. No one I know in real life is going to tell me that my Canyon is killing local bike shops to my face, so I thought I'd cast a wider net.
So your first post on BF is to argue with someone's dumb post on Facebook?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-02-20, 10:00 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Since we are criticizing the spending of others here, if you dont have money to burn like when you were younger, buy some ground beef and buns from the store. $10 is 6 burgers.

OK, got to laugh, that's a good one! Not saying I encourage good comebacks, but sometimes they are just too funny to not like!
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 02-02-20, 10:02 PM
TheDudeIsHere

No one I know in real life is going to tell me that my Canyon is killing local bike shops to my face,
.......and why not? I have a large circle of friends I meet often on rides and we talk about many things like this. Often great cycling chat among friends.
Old 02-03-20, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
10 bucks is a burger.
Are the cheese and fries extra? What about substituting a side salad?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-03-20, 08:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Are the cheese and fries extra? What about substituting a side salad?

Canyon is killing the local burger shop.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-03-20, 09:01 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
I support local bike shops located all over the world.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 02-03-20, 10:16 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Two years ago I bought a Madone from the LBS. Last year I bought a gravel bike on-line. While I like the LBS owner a lot and do enjoy hanging out with the folks at the shop some, the only thing I really need them for is warranty work. They have a tough row to hoe to stay around in my opinion.

I think over time Zwift/Pelaton will have an impact as well.
Old 02-03-20, 11:15 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I do both, I buy online and I buy from my LBS. Getting ready to buy my second bike from them, but my last bike I built with parts bought online, but now the money from selling that bike is going to the LBS for the new bike, it's the circle of (bike) life.

LBS' that won't service other brands are only hurting themselves. My LBS had no issues working on my first bike that I bought from another store.
They also have beer, so that def helps.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-03-20, 11:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
A long time ago, one of the owners of my LBS told me he doesn't care if someone brings in parts they bought elsewhere. I have seen them assemble bikes direct bikes for people. They do good work and charge accordingly. I know they were pretty unhappy when Trek started selling online. That program kinda stinks for the shop, they ended up with bikes they didn't want because it turned out the person ordered the wrong bike. They dumped trek, and now the closest trek dealer is a lawnmower shop.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-03-20, 12:44 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Even the clothing side of shops make it nearly impossible to want to support their kids for them.

I saw a jersey I like online. $35, ordered Sunday night, on my doorstep from halfway across the country on the third working day.

A second jersey I liked and a $5 discount using the gift card the online seller sent along with the first purchase....AND A FREE PAIR OF SOCKS!

Received my shipment and another gift card, another pair of socks.

Found a super good price on a cool jersey and using he gift card, got one for $19 (sale price and $5 discount). The second $24 sale price. Received all shipments within 2 to 3 working days from across the country.

Ended up ordering about 7 jerseys that month, all great prices, great service and the online shop ended up throwing in a couple of key chains of little bicycle can opener thingies. All with $5 gift cards and free socks for each jersey ordered.

Went to a local shop. They asked if I was interested in buying a shop jersey. Trying to help them out, I said OK and the jersey looked decent. $80 discount price and a promised it within 1 month. I paid up front, to be nice, then it ended up taking 4 months to get this overpriced free advertising billboard jersey.

Walk into several local bike shops. Looking for a basic florescent color jersey to use while riding at night. Nothing but overpriced team advertising jerseys.

Really tough to support the local shops even in the clothing department when you get so much more online. Buy 7 jerseys THAT I WANT AND LIKE, get 7 free pair of socks , gift card with each shipment, and 2 of these cool little key chain bike thingies.

Sorry man, I get so much more online for my money.

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 02-03-20 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-03-20, 12:52 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Fortunately I do my own wrenching, build my own bikes, and build my own wheels as well.

Looking for a hub at the local shop, $149 for the rear Ultegra hub alone (4 different shops same price).

Online, FRONT AND REAR, SAME HUBS $123 free shipping.

Big difference in price and the shop did not have the spokes I needed to build my wheel. They could order for me but I would have to buy 2 boxes in order to get what I need and have several leftovers for no reason.

I had to go online to buy the spokes I needed, individual spokes as well, I could buy a box and a few extras to equal the amount I needed. NOT TO MENTION, THE ONLINE SHOP TOSSED IN 3 EXTRA SPOKES AND NIPS NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!

Old 02-03-20, 01:38 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ha!! Touche!! And sadly, not in this town...
Old 02-03-20, 02:35 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I stopped at a LBS that I've frequented many times over the years and bought a bottle of chain lube. The owner made a comment along the lines of "that'll keep the lights on". It really caught me by surprise so I didn't comment on it. Normally he's been nothing but friendly, and even gave me patch kits "at cost" one time when he learned I was working a charity bike repair event. Oh well, maybe he was just in a sore mood that day.
Old 02-03-20, 09:39 PM
OuterMarker

Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
.......and why not? I have a large circle of friends I meet often on rides and we talk about many things like this. Often great cycling chat among friends.
What do you think your friends would say if you asked, "Do you think my spouse is attractive?"

No one will be a complete ass to your face... That is what the internet is for, hence my question.

I know there are strong onions on LBS, and I just wanted to know where stuff like vintage bikes or self built bikes fell on the spectrum.
Old 02-03-20, 09:46 PM
OuterMarker

Personally I don't mind spending extra at a LBS on parts. But if I have to wait a week for them to order it, or they don't even carry the bike I want, what is the point? I bought a rear light from a shop a little while ago and the light stopped working (it wouldn't turn off). Reading the amazon reviews, it appears several people had the same problem. When I went back to the shop 3 days latter, the cashier wanted the original receipt (didn't have it). Even though I spent over $800 there that day, they really wanted the original receipt. Luckily the manager overheard and corrected the situation, but I couldn't help realize that not only would I have saved $3.00 on the light if I purchased it on amazon, but I would have had zero issue returning it.

Honestly, a LBS warranty is worth $200 of shop time/a few hours of my own time. Bikes are pretty simply mechanical machines that only require basic tools.
Old 02-03-20, 11:03 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 339 Posts
The only bike shop I found where the owner was knowledgeable, friendly and honest to a fault went out of business.
I guess that shows what you need to do to stay in business
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 02-04-20, 12:25 AM
TheDudeIsHere

What do you think your friends would say if you asked, "Do you think my spouse is attractive?"
I guess that might not be a good comparison. I get a lot of guys complimenting me on my wife, her ride style, and her looks and I don't have to ask.

That could be another thread topic in itself.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 02-04-20, 01:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
It got me thinking. How much are we supposed to support local shops?
It's not our responsibility to support any local shops (books, clothing, jewellery, gifts, bicycle, housewares, or whatever). They are businesses, not charities.

It is their job to attract customers. If they aren't doing their job ... they close. Simple as that.
Likes For Machka:
Old 02-04-20, 06:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Personally I don't mind spending extra at a LBS on parts. But if I have to wait a week for them to order it, or they don't even carry the bike I want, what is the point? I bought a rear light from a shop a little while ago and the light stopped working (it wouldn't turn off). Reading the amazon reviews, it appears several people had the same problem. When I went back to the shop 3 days latter, the cashier wanted the original receipt (didn't have it). Even though I spent over $800 there that day, they really wanted the original receipt. Luckily the manager overheard and corrected the situation, but I couldn't help realize that not only would I have saved $3.00 on the light if I purchased it on amazon, but I would have had zero issue returning it.

Honestly, a LBS warranty is worth $200 of shop time/a few hours of my own time. Bikes are pretty simply mechanical machines that only require basic tools.

So who are you arguing with? No one here is telling you to go the LBS if it's not meeting your needs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-04-20, 06:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That I was delusional as I'm single.

If you ask me what I think about it a bike brand, I'll tell you. It's hardy the same thing as asking about your spouse. Are you suggesting you married Canyon.

I know you're a newbie and maybe don't know what you're doing, but this is a classic troll thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.