Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Walds baskets: love, hate or otherwise

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Walds baskets: love, hate or otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 10:24 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Bu-bu-bu-but...

Grant Petersen!
Clip the ends, Grant.

Clip the ends.

-Kurt

Old 03-20-20, 04:47 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I think I'd pay twice as much for a stainless steel Wald basket. I remember looking for a stainless alternative, but not finding anything usefull.
After this I remember seeing Pelago doing something like this. Lo and behold: Pelago Rasket!
Stainless steel construction with the possibility to attach panniers to the side as well and a light mount.

And of course it's stainless steel. Pelago is Finnish. Anything less will just rust away before you blink in the Northern European climate.

I myself have the narrow version of their Commuter front rack though that bike is still in the building/project phase.

Last edited by JaccoW; 03-20-20 at 04:54 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-20-20, 05:13 AM
Narhay

Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
If you want your bike to look like a complicated and inefficient shopping trolley, these are just what you need.

(Well, you asked)
They are practical for a certain bike user but yes they are particularly hard on the eyes.
Old 03-20-20, 07:39 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
This Wald basket was intended to be installed in pairs over the wheel. I kept hitting my heel on it. So I mounted one one top of rear rack.

Old 03-20-20, 08:38 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
While we're on baskets, Can anyone recommend a couple small pouches to attach randonneur bag style on the back of the basket faceing the rider?
Old 03-20-20, 08:47 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

While we're on baskets, Can anyone recommend a couple small pouches to attach randonneur bag style on the back of the basket faceing the rider?
I think those are generally called "Feedbags" or "Stembags". Bikepacking.com has a small review roundup and even a MYOBG.

I have little experience with them as I use a rando bag and saddlebags but I have positive experiences with Roadrunner bags.
Roadrunnerbags has the Auto pilot, Co-pilot or matching waterproof lids.

I do wonder if they are not too large though and hanging too low.
Old 03-20-20, 08:58 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I think those are generally called "Feedbags" or "Stembags". Bikepacking.com has a small review roundup and even a MYOBG.

I have little experience with them as I use a rando bag and saddlebags but I have positive experiences with Roadrunner bags.
Roadrunnerbags has the Auto pilot, Co-pilot or matching waterproof lids.

I do wonder if they are not too large though and hanging too low.
Also, see Swift Industries.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 03-20-20, 09:05 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I was thinking about some kind of Airsoft Surplus pouches like these:

Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-20-20, 09:07 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by abshipp
Also, see Swift Industries.
Ah yes, the Rando pouch or Sidekick would be great options.

I was thinking about some kind of Airsoft Surplus pouches like these:
Hey if you can attach it and it works then why not? I would wonder about waterproofness with one of those but that might not be an issue in you area or for your kind of riding.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-20-20, 12:38 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by JaccoW
After this I remember seeing Pelago doing something like this. Lo and behold: Pelago Rasket!
Stainless steel construction with the possibility to attach panniers to the side as well and a light mount.

And of course it's stainless steel. Pelago is Finnish. Anything less will just rust away before you blink in the Northern European climate.
Very nice, though as I feared, stainless adds a prohibitive cost.

There has to be something that can be made under the $60 price range that doesn't turn into a rusted, busted mess.

-Kurt

Old 03-20-20, 12:49 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I've been trying to visualize a 1" aluminum tube underneath the basket that extends out far enough on the ends to clamp a couple handle bar mount lights. Getting it cleanly and rigidly mounted so it wont shake or rotate is the puzzle.
I mounted a short length of scrap handlebar under mine. I drilled holes in both ends. Bolted one end to the strut tab (otherwise unused, as basket is zip tied to a rack). The other end is zip tied to the basket. It’s solid and doesn’t rattle.
Old 03-20-20, 12:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't love or hate metal baskets, but they'd be more practical for my heavy errand bike, a Globe Carmel with a massive, long wheelbase frame like a Yuba cargo bike. It already weighs about 35 lbs with a heavy duty rear rack, puncture resistant tires (Michelin Protek Cross Max, about 1,200 gm each in 700x40, which measures closer to 700x45).

Despite the weight it's a great bike for hauling stuff. And the heavy spring suspension fork offsets weight from a loaded down rear rack -- my lighter weight rigid fork Univega often feels unbalanced and twitchy with the rear rack loaded.

I've been using Nashbar Townie folding fabric panniers for groceries. But Wald or similar metal baskets would really be more practical. I'm hoping to find a junker bike with decent metal racks to buy for cheap and scrap the bike. In my area racks, baskets, bags, etc., don't add any value to used bikes.
Old 03-20-20, 05:10 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Those Lime Bike setups look pretty nice, as does the Pelago. Snapped a pic of my Wald for grins. The QR feature is convenient. It ain't the best thing out there, as baskets go, but it's serviceable.

Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-21-20, 11:12 AM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
Word up homies. Much love here for the Wald. I do get some heel clip, but I think it’s due to the frame being a little smallish.
Old 03-21-20, 12:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
They are practical for a certain bike user but yes they are particularly hard on the eyes.
So, "a certain bike user" is the politically correct nomenclature, yes?

Old 03-21-20, 02:23 PM
due ruote 

A pic of the under basket light mount I mentioned a couple posts ago. Also a small basket I picked up at the Container Store for $5. Not Wald so I guess I am cheating by posting.

Likes For due ruote:
Old 03-21-20, 02:51 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I haven't had a Wald basket on a bike since I was in college, but I have one sitting out in the weather now (actually it has been out in the weather for about a year when I removed from a bike I donated) and I suspect that it spent many years outside before that. There is no rust on it, so the galvanizing must be decent. What I dislike about it is that the struts mount to the axle and the inverted J-clips that mount to the bars.

I agree that the wire is under-sized, and the basket deforms more easily than it should. All in all they do work. I wish Wald would make a higher quality basket as an upgrade product.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 03-21-20, 03:04 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
A pic of the under basket light mount I mentioned a couple posts ago. Also a small basket I picked up at the Container Store for $5. Not Wald so I guess I am cheating by posting.
We accept all kinds here. Basket-bicyclists are a tolerant group.
Old 03-21-20, 03:22 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by dweenk
I haven't had a Wald basket on a bike since I was in college, but I have one sitting out in the weather now (actually it has been out in the weather for about a year when I removed from a bike I donated) and I suspect that it spent many years outside before that. There is no rust on it, so the galvanizing must be decent. What I dislike about it is that the struts mount to the axle and the inverted J-clips that mount to the bars.

I agree that the wire is under-sized, and the basket deforms more easily than it should. All in all they do work. I wish Wald would make a higher quality basket as an upgrade product.
Mounting to a rack with zip ties is a big improvement. True they can deform, but a more robust build would be heavier still.
Old 03-22-20, 06:32 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Mounting to a rack with zip ties is a big improvement. True they can deform, but a more robust build would be heavier still.
The use of the word deform to describe flexing as a basket is loaded is discouraged, but not yet banned by the "First Church of Wald". Planing is the preferred terminology.

Old 03-22-20, 06:58 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
I use the smallest-sized stainless hose clamps to attach my basket to a Nitto rack. Zip ties have a tendency to wear out/degrade over time, I have found.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-22-20, 08:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Very clean look. How's the basket's finish been holding up (and how long have you had it)?

-Kurt

Old 03-22-20, 11:37 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by cudak888
Very clean look. How's the basket's finish been holding up (and how long have you had it)?

-Kurt
The small basket? Just got it, so it’s untested. It looks like a PC finish but I don’t know for sure. It wasn’t labeled. The basket itself seems pretty nice; a bit heavier wire than my Wald basket. They had two sizes, this being the smaller one. Colors were pretty odd - pink, a dirty goldenrod, turquoise, and teal, which is what I bought.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 03-23-20, 07:08 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Conceptually, I love Wald baskets. If I understand this correctly, the benefit of a basket is that it doesn't cause much air resistance when it's empty, although it obviously adds some weight. That makes sense to me.

I have a nicely-made Jandd handlebar bag that I never use because it weighs at least a couple of pounds. A medium-size basket attached to a front rack (and with the cargo in a lightweight dry bag) would probably weigh the same or less and push less air out of the way. I have been meaning to give that approach a try but haven't yet.

Out in my shed there's a set of those pannier-style rear baskets that came off my mother's bike. They've been out there in a damp (though not wet) environment for many years, and have no trace of rust on them. Possibly the quality of the galvanizing in 1965 was superior to what's available today?

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 03-23-20, 07:48 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
I used folding Wald rear baskets on my old Mirada Sport and on my current Mirada as well. Love 'em because they fold up and out of the way when you don't need them. Discovered the hard way that you need to secure them with a bungee when they're fully loaded with groceries — otherwise when you hit a bump they bounce and the bottom drops out, scattering everything in the street...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.