Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc Brake Pads Shifting When Braking? (TRP Hy/Rd)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-30-15, 02:02 PM
dubes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I recently swapped out a set of Avid BB-7 mechanical disc brakes for TRP Hy/Rds (the updated / late 2014 version). I want to use cable-actuated disc brakes because the frame has S+S couplers, but I thought I'd try the Hy/Rds to benefit from the "automatic" adjustment of the hydraulic calipers as the brake pads wear.

With the Hy/Rd calipers, I now find that when if I apply the brakes with light pressure, I can feel a 'click' that does not repeat with further braking/additional pressure. This was most noticeable on the front brake, but after additional troubleshooting I've come to realize it happens with both calipers.

I checked headset adjustment, rotors, hubs, even the tightness of the caliper mounts, and through process of elimination I narrowed down to the pads themselves shifting slightly during braking. I did a search and this thread on mtbr.com from 4 years ago pretty aptly describes the issue:

"Click" sound when applying brakes (disc)

I called up TRP and they said that what I'm experiencing is normal (well, they were a little more careful than that; they actually said the description sounded normal and shouldn't affect brake performance, but if I had any concerns I should take it to my LBS).

The BB-7 pads were tightly wedged into the caliper (always had a devil of a time getting them in or out), so this clicking business is new to me. Some of the suggested remedies online seem to involve applying something like this to the back of the pads so that they stick to the caliper and don't shift under braking. (TRP did not advocate the use of any sort of adhesive.) Most of the user experience is with Shimano brakes, which makes sense since TRP adopted the (older) Shimano pad for their line of disc brakes.

So is "gluing" (with that CRC Disc Brake Quiet stuff) a real remedy here, should I forget gluing and resign myself to a little clicking when applying the brakes and get used to it with the Hy/Rds, or should I go back with the tried and true (if a royal pain in the you know what to set up) BB-7s? How are other folks dealing with this? And since many of you are pros, what do you tell (or do for) your customers who complain about it?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 10-30-15, 02:20 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had the same sound when activating shimano brakes. as mentioned in the other thread, it's the pads slamming against the pins they slide on. and they must slide laterally when activated. the fit between pin and the holes in the shoes is not a precision fit. probably can't be. so i've accepted it... probably happens on your honda motorcycle and ford fiesta too. we are just too far away from it to notice.
Old 10-30-15, 02:29 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 7009 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 303 Posts
might hear a similar thing with your car but there is more background road noise .

[ I found this so But I have had 1 payment used cars ]
Old 10-31-15, 10:01 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Ignore it. I have Hy/Rd calipers also and love them. Spend your time riding and not fiddling with this sort of stuff.
Old 11-02-15, 10:48 AM
dubes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I rode this weekend and ignored the shifting/clicking pads, but had a harder time ignoring the fact that currently set up these brakes are weaker than the BB-7s they replaced. I get that these are supposed to have more modulation, where the BB-7s have more of an 'on-off' feel to them, but it feels like I have to use more hand pressure to stop the bike than with the BB-7s--or V-brakes, for that matter.

Now in fairness, I spent a hella lot of time dialing in the BB-7s which I haven't yet done with the Hy/Rds, but I thought the semi-hydraulic nature of the calipers was supposed to take out the fiddliness of brake setup. After all, there's not much more to the instructions beyond "pull the brake lever and tighten the caliper mounting bolts", and while everyone and his brother has a Youtube video showing how to dial in the BB-7s for maximum performance, I haven't found anything similar for the Hy/Rds (the few I've found are basically a video version of "pull the brake lever and tighten the caliper mounting bolts". )

Any ideas for getting the most out of the Hy/Rds? I'm already using compressionless brake housing and switched the pads to Swissstop sintered (using the stock rotors, 160mm front and rear).