Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

"How long have I been cycling?"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

"How long have I been cycling?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 03:44 PM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While going through some of the issues I had with the fit of my current bike I got asked a similar question multiple times..."is this your 1st road bike"
I got my first road bike with paper route money in the late 60's (might have been 1970 I don't recall exactly). I used it to deliver papers which at times could be an adventure (I recall a couple of great crashes while riding one handed downhill over a dirt and gravel road) so I think that counts. I had that bike until 4th year university when it was stolen and I got my current steel bike which was my only method of transportation from the early to mid 80's. I also used the bike extensively until the early 90's when I stopped for various reasons to cycle regularly. I restarted to cycle as regularly as I can which means a couple of times a week in the summer and about once a week in the winter about 5 years ago.
So it's either 5 to 45 or so years depending on how you want to count
Old 12-02-13, 05:24 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I was at a gathering recently where there were people I didn't know, but others of us were talking about riding, duathlons, etc. So one guy who I had not met before, and who was a non-cyclist, asked me how long I'd been riding. I guess he meant how long have I been doing serious distances and so forth, but without thinking I said "Oh, about 65 years or so."

Well, a few people around us laughed a bit at that and I could tell by the look on the guy's face that he thought it was pretty much a smart-ass answer and was a bit offended by it. But what else could I answer? I started riding a tricycle at age 2 or 3 and I'm still riding at 67.

Anyone else ever think about this? Many of us have been cycling in some form literally almost all our lives!
I started with trikes as you did, and moved through middleweights, a Phillips 3-speed, and Falcon and Rossignoli 10-speeds until about age 24. Then I took up cars and later motorcycles. About 30 yo, wife and I took up pedaling again, and kept at it until about 40 yo. Took it up again at about 47, and been at it since, now 60 yo. About 44 years of cycling in some form.
Old 12-04-13, 11:01 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I bought a UO8 when I was 15 and I've been riding ever since. The first time I rode to Nyack from Brooklyn and back everybody thought I was just crazy. That was in 1970 or so. It is a 65-70 mile round trip. I was always the only one on route 9W on a bike. Now, 9W is the training route for all of the Manhattan riders and it is a steady stream of riders. In between 1970 and now I've always been the one to ride what was considered a crazy distance, except that in the last 20 years it doesn't seem so crazy anymore.
Old 12-06-13, 09:51 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Now, 9W is the training route for all of the Manhattan riders and it is a steady stream of riders.
What are they training for?
Old 12-06-13, 10:22 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I was going to tell the story but it's too damn long. So I guess I started riding when I was 8 but when I got serious to the point where I wasn't stopping and restarting road bike riding was when I was 24 or 25.
Old 12-06-13, 10:54 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I get incredulous looks when I say "about five years". I hadn't been on a bike since childhood and they simply don't believe me. Maybe you just can't win with that question.
When I explain to people that I learned to ride as an adult two months ago, they usually say "Really? I thought you'd always been riding. Don't you work at a bike shop? Doesn't your boyfriend ride?" Yes. No. Yes and yes. And, no, you can't win with that question.
Old 12-07-13, 08:16 AM
yodatic

Bikes: N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a vague question, lol, but it could be a good conversation starter. tom
Old 12-07-13, 02:24 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
What are they training for?
Whatever. There are the tri folks, the cat 1-5 racers, the hard core recreational riders, the fitness buffs, the teams in their matching kits, the guys with the full kit riding a low end bike. Oh, and me. Up until the last few years I used to be able to keep up with the best of them.
Old 12-07-13, 08:59 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
First hand-me-down bike (training wheels long gone) from my brother at age 3 or 4, English 3-speed at age 7 (rode to school and everywhere else), first 10-speed in college in 1971, First "good" Italian 10-speed in 1972, haven't quit riding since then. So, at age 65, 42 years seriously riding. But I don't try to tell non-riders about all this, they are used to exaggeration in all things and sometimes don't appreciate the real numbers. I just say "most of my life, how about you?" Glad I found this site.
Old 12-07-13, 10:34 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
First hand-me-down bike (training wheels long gone) from my brother at age 3 or 4, English 3-speed at age 7 (rode to school and everywhere else), first 10-speed in college in 1971, First "good" Italian 10-speed in 1972, haven't quit riding since then. So, at age 65, 42 years seriously riding. But I don't try to tell non-riders about all this, they are used to exaggeration in all things and sometimes don't appreciate the real numbers. I just say "most of my life, how about you?" Glad I found this site.
I hear you, that's all I say to people too. I get enough non-cyclists who can't figure out why someone needs a bike that cost more than $200 too, or why does a person need more than 1 bike, so when they ask me how much I spent on bike I say "oh, not that much", or how many bikes do I own, I say "a couple". Keep it simple or they get wacked out.
Old 12-08-13, 05:26 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
When I explain to people that I learned to ride as an adult two months ago, they usually say "Really? I thought you'd always been riding. Don't you work at a bike shop? Doesn't your boyfriend ride?" Yes. No. Yes and yes. And, no, you can't win with that question.
What's it like to learn as an adult? How exactly do you do it? I learned to leave training wheels when I was five. It was classic deception that taught me, after the fact, what my body had already learned. My big brother held the cycle up while pushing me, as I got his occasional promises to not let go. Then of course he did let go and I rode unassisted for a considerable distance, genuinely balancing the bicycle. Then when I discovered the lack of support I promptly crashed the bike. But then like millions before me it all sank in as I learned to not over-think it and just let it happen.

Is this process similar as an adult? Did somebody hold the bike up? (seems cumbersome to hold up an adult rider). If not, how do you make the sudden transition to riding?

i find the non-intuitive behavior of a bicycle interesting. Specifically, the reverse effect (rotate the bars to the right to turn left) of a cycle at speed. I think many people learn to suspend conscious thought about that rather than really learn it. I know that as a child, I didn't have a conscious understanding of that. But my arms still did the right thing. Then after I understood the physics of reverse-control, my body might do the wrong thing when faced with an impending crash - the old intuitive control of tricycles would somehow take over.

Then with some significant work and training as a semi-pro motorcycle racer in my 20s and 30s I finally learned to accept on all levels, how a bicycle/motorcycle really works and apply that knowledge consistently.

I'm not unique in this respect. I've seen the pattern over and over in new racers. The classic scene is where a crash happens in front of a cyclist. Then with plenty of time to do otherwise, the cyclist's muscles freeze up and demand a panic-level of control that comes from a child like understanding of physics. As a result they slowly enter the crash scene, horrified with their sudden inability to control the bike - and not only that, to be applying exactly the wrong control.

One of the main ways to quit doing that is to train yourself not to look at what you want to avoid. Look where you want to steer the cycle. Not where you don't want to. Then the unconscious will send you in the right direction.
Old 12-08-13, 01:51 PM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Cycling "in some form" is different from riding serious miles and suffering for the fun of it . . . at least to me.

So . . . when I'm asked that question I start my "real" cycling clock January of 1968. which is when I bought my Peugeot PX10 (Reynolds 531, Stronglite alloy cranks, Mavic rims, Brooks Pro saddle and sew up tires, etc.) for the "outrageous" (according to my father at the time) price of $200.00. And yes, it was my money.

That gives me approx. 45 years (I'm 63) of cycling as a sport, as opposed to just riding around the neighborhood. As far as I can remember, no one has been offended, nor have they laughed, when I've given that answer.

Rick / OCRR
I had a PX10 in early 70's on Long Island but then moved to Florida. I removed the sew ups and threw on a set of Rigida rims back then. I used to ride to the beach all the time and did not want to foul the PX10 with sand so I purchased a U08. Rode them both through college and then moved back north to finish college. Once I went into the work force I stopped riding until the 90's
I did not pay for either bike, needless to say 250 for a bike (and extra rims and tires) back then was big money but I was unemployed.

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
I did cycle as a kid, and in college, I cycled for a few years. After college, I didn't start until I was about 53(a hybrid/comfort). I was about 54 when I got the road bike I ride presently. So, I guess it's been about 2˝ years of cycling seriously.
Same for me except I started up again with a Marin Police mountain bike during the 90's to cycle with the kids. Stopped again until recently but have not purchased a new bike yet.

I use the mountain bike on the road now. Probably look to upgrade a bit in the spring.
Old 12-08-13, 09:22 PM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A very, very long time.

These photos are from the late 1940's.

Wife and I had matching bikes before we were married in the mid-60's, and still ride now. Daughter grew up on the back of our bikes, and still rides as does our 16 yr old grandson.

Lou

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0026.jpg (90.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
PICT0025.jpg (93.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Foldable Two; 12-08-13 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 09:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
It's hard to define when one may call himself a cyclist. I started doing weekend bike tours in 1964, and the first multi-week tour in 1965. So I guess sometime next year, it'll be 50 years.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-09-13, 02:32 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Not as long as I should have been.

Like nearly everyone else, a bicycle was my primary transportation from grade through early high school but I couldn't call commuting to school and around town on my Schwinn Varsity "serious" cycling. It was about four years ago that I started cycling again for fitness and quickly got seriously hooked. I wish I had stuck with it from my high school days as I would have probably avoided the health and fitness problems that plagued me in my early 40s.