Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

almost went down in a bad way today!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 05:22 PM
skinnyguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so i guess i am lucky to be sitting here a writing this. i am visiting my parents this weekend. they live in the niagra region of Canada. brought my bike to do some riding because unllike my area they have nice hills here. it was wet out, my tires have 4700kms on them. i was going down a windy hill at about 50km/h , wanted to slow for the upcoming corner grabbed the rear brake and wasn't slowing much. grabbed a little harder and locked up the rear wheel. i let off and tried again b/c the corner was apporaching fast. same result. almost crapped my pants, i was able to scrub some speed and leaned the bike in and rode it through the corner. i have crashed my motorcycle road racing a few times with bad results. then about 66km into my ride i got a flot on the way home so i change my tube and tire for a new one. i'll be out again tommorrow and a little more careful this time.
Old 10-27-07, 05:24 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Check your brake pads; if they're quite worn they can feel, well, grabby. Glad you're ok.
Old 10-27-07, 05:43 PM
beowolf
inconceivable

Bikes: trek madone 5.2 sl, giant cfr3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
next time grab the front brake... better for downhill braking
Old 10-27-07, 06:07 PM
texascyclist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you mean in addition to the rear? I am a bit confused as to why both brakes were not used. That would provide the most stopping power.
Old 10-27-07, 09:29 PM
cruzinator
50K Roadie

Bikes: Trek Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beowolf
next time grab the front brake... better for downhill braking
+1
As you brake, your weight pitches forward so the front wheel has most of the downward force on it and the rear has less (thus less braking power can be applied). That's why using the front brake is the number one brake to use and the rear is an aid in braking. You can understand this concept of greater downward force through the front wheel if you go to the braking extreme and the rear wheel lifts up (or worse you do an endo). Of course using both brakes help even more than just the front one, but in the right proportion with much heavier braking on the front. The harder you brake the more the proportion of braking should be from the front.
Old 10-27-07, 09:34 PM
Bike enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzinator
+1
As you brake, your weight pitches forward so the front wheel has most of the downward force on it and the rear has less (thus less braking power can be applied). That's why using the front brake is the number one brake to use and the rear is an aid in braking. You can understand this concept of greater downward force through the front wheel if you go to the braking extreme and the rear wheel lifts up (or worse you do an endo). Of course using both brakes help even more than just the front one, but in the right proportion with much heavier braking on the front. The harder you brake the more the proportion of braking should be from the front.
+10000

You DEFINATELY should've used the front brake - IF you have one....