Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where do you find old bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 02:31 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Where do you go to find old bikes? It seems that the thrift stores here totally don't know how to price bikes... so those are out. Sometimes they're selling dept. store bikes for $80+, then again I met a guy who scored a '90s Schwinn with SunTour Edge for $30, apparently because it was "covered in mud".

Anyway, where do all you frankenbike lovers find your victims?
Old 12-13-04, 03:07 PM
charlesw
I love my life!

Bikes: Univega 1985? Sportour

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moxfyre:
It is interesting to see how you came into riding like I do. We both go to college, both ride older bikes that we didn't spend a lot on, and both want to create a fixie.

Here is a Schwinn I picked up on my commute home, sitting near someone's garbage:
Schwinn Super Le Tour

I actually made it a point to ride around to different houses in the rich section of our neighborhood, looking for garage sales- nothing, just 2 kid bikes.
People tell me thrift stores have road bikes- and they sometimes do; I saw a massive beast of a Schwinn- it MUST have been like 67cm or something- for $30. I wish I'd bought it.

Bikes just seem to turn up. I want to tell all my friends I like old road bikes and see if anyone will remember their dad has some old peugot in their garage.

I check Craigslist and the Recycler, which is a free classifieds posting website for the area around here. I found my Univega in the Recycler- I think people post there b/c it is free.

Where did you find your bikes?
Old 12-13-04, 03:32 PM
moxfyre

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, you are my new role model

I got my commuter thingy from a coworker for $20 (I was desperate after my previous bike got stolen, but this thing turned out real nice $150 later). I got my Trek road bike off of craigslist for $125. I got a nice lugged Nishiki for my girlfriend for $25 from CL too. I got another 12 speed but it turned out to be rusted out so I'm just hanging onto the parts and wheels.

I need to find a 58-60 cm frame with horizontal dropouts, then I'll be set to build a fixie. Thanks for the tip on recycler. That Schwinn of yours looks promising. I am gonna keep my eyes open for such things!
Old 12-13-04, 06:16 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
Wow, you are my new role model

I got my commuter thingy from a coworker for $20 (I was desperate after my previous bike got stolen, but this thing turned out real nice $150 later). I got my Trek road bike off of craigslist for $125. I got a nice lugged Nishiki for my girlfriend for $25 from CL too. I got another 12 speed but it turned out to be rusted out so I'm just hanging onto the parts and wheels.

I need to find a 58-60 cm frame with horizontal dropouts, then I'll be set to build a fixie. Thanks for the tip on recycler. That Schwinn of yours looks promising. I am gonna keep my eyes open for such things!
I've found three bicycles that were simply discarded over the past 6 months. A small Grand Prix (1977) that only needed air in the tires and new brake cables; a Follis 072 from the 70's (rather obscure) - that needed only cables, new jockey wheels on the derailleur, a tube and minor wheel truing, and a humongous Nishiki Marina-12 that literally only needed air in the tires. It was so huge though (66cm) that I stripped it down and have it listed (through Saturday) on ... well go with your first guess. This technique is purely hit and miss.

I did also purchase a nice Super Course for a decent price - even factoring in shipping - off e-bay, And I also found a 1960's Dunelt Racer (10-speed) at a pre-garage sale. That one cost me $25.00 to buy, but also had a shot rear hub, a rear derailleur with a dead spring, a worn out cain, as well as an assortment of other little things. In the end, it's possibly the most expensive of my current unimpressive collection.

As a note, inspired by my serendipitous finds, I have done some cruising around on trash day, actively looking for discarded bikes with zero success. I think that right after Christmas, and in the spring are going to be better times to try that.
Old 12-13-04, 06:31 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Check your local thrift orgainizations, like Goodwill or the Salvation army-- not to see if they have stores, but to see if they have auctions. These are usually held a few times a week at a central location. Often they auction off piles of bikes; they're not big sellers at the stores (possibly because they have no idea how to identify or price them). I find a fairly steady flow of bikes in this manner, and although not all are classics, I can fix some up and give them to friends, or sell the occasional bike on ebay to get some $$$ to buy something I want.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-13-04, 08:32 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
Where do you go to find old bikes?
Everywhere... Picked up a '78 Paramount (way too big though) in beautiful shape at a yard sale ($50!!), an '80 Raleigh Team Pro 753 frame and an early '60s Bertin frame sticking out of a trash can (both missing forks and completely stripped of parts), but the best finds were simply at "hole in the wall" local bike shops.... Seek out those small independent shops trying to keep their doors open, and put out the word that you're looking for ____ (insert your favorite here) bikes. Something cool is bound to turn up... You wouldn't believe what I've found by "making the rounds" to all the little local shops. Local paper ads may also be good to you, but you need to be quick; lots of people looking for eBay fodder these days.
Old 12-13-04, 10:38 PM
ybegin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find old bikes at our recycle depot, there is a spot where old bikes and other stuff can get droped off and picked up( take it or leave it) lots of shimano parts and nice suntour stuff, hurret but not much campy, some people just dont know what they have on there hands when they clean the garage. best find was a set of mavic gp4 on dura ace hubs DT ss spokes with wolber tubulars all in great condition. Also find some descent frames and good quality tubing( last bike I built was from a large 59 nishiki with tange champion #1 tubing, the seat stays were damaged so I cut it up and tigged up a new compact 50 cm frame installed 105 components on it.
Old 12-13-04, 10:41 PM
Mark4
Got Lugs?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found my Nishiki at an antique store. They always displayed a few old bikes in a rack out front (mostly Schwinn Varsities, 3-speed FreeSpirits and Kids' bikes), and since I drove by regularly, while commuting to class, I waited for something nice (decent 3pc crank, alloy wheels, the right frame size, pleasing color etc.) to catch my eye. I eventually saw my bike and 'swooped in for the kill.' Paid 50$ for it. Of course it ended up costing me another $200+ of upgrades to really make it my ride (totally worth it), but that's another story.
Old 12-13-04, 11:09 PM
moxfyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is the first time I've ever been happy to hear about all the cool stuff people throw out
Old 12-13-04, 11:25 PM
charlesw
I love my life!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm your role model?
C'mon- it is the other way around! You are ahead of me in school and have two working bikes- AND a regularly updated weblog.

I've got a Pacific (!!!) cheapo mountain bike, and a Schwinn frame.

Btw, I realize now that wheels are expensive if you want to make a bike on the cheap. I have my schwinn frame but that isn't anything- now I need wheels to complete the outfit. I've been looking for road bike wheels but usually if they are cheap, they are rusted.

I'll keep looking..
Old 12-14-04, 12:01 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
You are doing the right things & Goodwill stores can be a good source, I found these: Raleigh SuperCourse, Spaulding Mountain bike, Fuji Grand, Schwinn Traveler, several Centurions, a Nashbar SportsTourer, all with lugged Chrome Moly frames & older mid level Shimano & SunTour components; priced at $9.95 too, best Goodwill find was a brand new pair of Carnac shoes in my size for $4. Some of my better bikes came from garage sales, ads in the local paper or on e-Bay. Locally, the supply of cheap lightweight bikes seems to be drying up & the prices are going up. Most local shops don't sell used bikes & in the one that does, prices are usually in the $169-$800 range. We are fortunate to have "Recycled Cycles" in Seattle. They sell quite a few low priced used road & mountain bikes plus some vintage bikes. They also have bins of used parts. Friends & co-workers sometimes give me bikes they don't want There are still some great bikes out there: A year ago I met an older fellow who lives on the other side of town. He has a pair of Masi bikes and a neat French tandem hanging in his garage. Someday they may be available. Check with local clubs to see if they have or know of an annual swap meet. Don
Old 12-14-04, 12:46 AM
umpadumpy

Bikes: 1978 Rampar R-10 BMX, 1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1999 Mongoose Hoop D, 2001 Schwinn Predator BMX, Generic Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Goodwill being a resource. Any thrift store can possibly have your next project, so long as know what to look for and you're willing to keep going back.

I have bikes coming outta my ears, because I operate a Bikes For Tykes program here in the Seattle area and people donate all sorts of rides to us. Seeing all those bikes in my backyard gives me lots of crazy ideas for projects, and sometimes I'll just buy one of them to see what I can make (the funds I contribute go towards fixing up other bikes). My latest was converting a Huffy mountain bike to a single speed. Worked out pretty well and made the bike more useful by getting rid of the pesky cheap-o derailleurs!

Ollo Ollo, you looking for some spare parts or projects locally?
Old 12-14-04, 09:50 AM
Kayakado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a 1988 Schwinn Aluminum Pro 1.86Kg Mountain Bike for $5 at the university police auction this week. I had to replace the chain, pedals and seat and will have to replace the cassette, but for $5 and some investment in parts--it is a great ride. The Cro-moly fork needs repainting but that's no big deal.
Old 12-14-04, 10:44 AM
radioflier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend that deals in antiques/collectables and gets his items from auctions (old homes where the owners have died, etc) and a few garage sales (not so much). He tells me often see bikes at these auctions and they darn near have to give them away. The folks at auctions are interested in antique furniture and glassware, typically not bikes. Sounds like a cheap way to pick up a fixie - I'm going to pick one up to practice maintenance on before I touch my good bike.
Old 12-21-04, 07:40 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just thinned my frankenbikes by donating 3 to the local Goodwill store. I figured that just before Christmas was a good time to donate them. However, I originally bought them at garage sales and had spent about $100 on the lot including parts. Prices at private sales seem to be either $5 or unrealistically high with not much in between. I had fun fixing them up and riding them for a while and now I have space for some new old bikes.
Old 01-03-05, 08:40 PM
Mr. Shadow
I need more bikes!!!

Bikes: 2 roadies, 7 fixed-gears, 1 hardtail, 1 full suspension mtb, and 1 hybrid...so far.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EBay, yard sales, Goodwill stores, police auctions and bike shops are good places to look.
Old 01-04-05, 12:44 PM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Search for a local bicycle co-op.
The one here in Cleveland has thousands, yes I typed thousands, of old bikes and components for sale.
Old 01-04-05, 05:23 PM
giant99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a buddy who owns a scrap yard so I hang out there with him and give him a hand if he needs it. In return if a bike is droped off I can have it. My stock pile has got so big Ill never have to buy a bike part again.
Old 01-24-05, 10:46 PM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this Raleigh Sprite at the thrift store for $20... approx 1976. It was in neglected/weathered condition, but not abused. It cleaned up quite well (new cables, chain & tires) and has decent, shiny brown paint job, and now it rides pretty good. The only drawback is its just a bit too tall for my liking (23.5 inch frame)
I've been randomly stopping in at 4 different thrift stores plus 1 recycle yard over the last few months. Did I get lucky or will it be 5 years before another worthy find comes along?
Old 01-24-05, 11:08 PM
moxfyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chief, I like that Raleigh. The roadster look is awesome.
Old 01-24-05, 11:46 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For sale ad, 1990 Ritchey. Prototype of domonant race frames 1990-1993. NORBA wins.
150$. Has some paint now. Mod bike.
Old 01-25-05, 01:49 AM
charlesw
I love my life!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chief, it is hard to say.
I think it depends more on the area. From what I've found, good bikes are usually found near middle or high class neighborhoods- they have bikes they've bought but they don't want them anymore.
I'd reccomend checking the free classifieds around you too.
Also tell your friends you are interested in old classic bikes and soon you'll start some coming your way.

I don't see many nice bikes around me. Here in southern california people use them more, so bikes get snatched up quickley (albeit cheaply)
Old 01-25-05, 03:07 AM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief
I found this Raleigh Sprite at the thrift store for $20... The only drawback is its just a bit too tall for my liking (23.5 inch frame)
In that case, I tell you what: I'll take it off your hands for $30.
Old 01-25-05, 03:47 PM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the ideas... I'll keep looking.

mswantak,
Most likely I will try to find a good home for the bike locally. It's got a lot of mile left in it for the right person.
(Hopefuly for more than $30)
Old 01-25-05, 06:00 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Estate sales are the best. Picked up my Super Sport (its a 72 - still no pics ) at a neighbor's sale - the woman just moved her dad into a home, and was selling off a bunch of his stuff. A $20 bike talked down to $10, and for way under $150 total, I have a fully functioning (pretty much) road bike that rides like a dream!

Thrift stores are good, too. And flea markets (although you might be buying stolen stuff)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.