Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

I think I've narrowed it down to 2, maybe 3 options.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 05:58 PM
Dheorl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My quest for a new bike has led me round full circle back to wanting a folding bike. After much deliberation I decided that for this to work out for me it couldn't have 16" wheels, had to stay as one unit when folded, could accept racks and was reasonably stiff.

I think from what's available to me I've narrowed it down to a bike friday new world traveller, pocket llama or possibly a birdy of some description (although I would rather have 20" wheels and find the fold on the bike friday simpler).

Between the new world traveller and the llama I understand that the llama is designed for a heavier load. Does this mean that the only difference is a stronger frame, or is the geometry and so-on also different? I'd like a stiff bike that doesn't feel too twitchy. Considering I'm only about 130lbs and don't have any big tours planned I really don't need the strength of the llama, but if it is going to be stiffer and handle better, as long as it doesn't weight too much more it doesn't bother me. Does anyone know how it compares in general?

Finally what could I do in an attempt to slow down the steering a bit? I understand that a longer stem might help. Would it be possible to fit a 451 on the front and a 406 on the back to slacken up the angles a bit do you reckon?

Thanks for any help. Hopefully instead of more questions my next thread will be titled "I love my new bike. Quick BF review"
Old 04-15-13, 12:21 AM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You should probably get the New World Tourist. It's designed for touring, especially loaded touring, and excels at that. The llama is more for mountain biking. It has a higher bottom bracket which would be good for hopping over logs or something...on a normal bike this would affect the geometry, but I don't know whether this is true on a bf.

I sort of went through the same thought process when I bought my NWT, but I finally realized that I was overthinking it. Bike Friday sells the NWT as their touring bike, or more generally as their bike that's for everything that you don't want a racing bike or a mountain bike for. And that's exactly what it is, and so it's probably what you should get.
Old 04-15-13, 12:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got a Pocket Llama, in a heavy-rider configuration happened to be built with disc brakes
(v is still possible)

'Heavy rider' adds some features of the Tandem, to the single bike .
Like a 2 tube , vs a Monotube main frame..

Locks up easier .. on the street , my commuter..

PL adds a higher BB .. thicker fork blades.. etc..

Since then the Silk has come out, the rear fork frame design is even better suited to an IGH,
,as chain stays tensioned, during the fold.. Belt drive ready .. too..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-17-13 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 02:35 PM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 130 lbs you could even ride a Crusoe (basically the lighter Pocket Rocket frame with 406 wheels vs the PR's 451's). The Crusoe's weight limit is 190 lb, so you are way under. My wife (150 lbs) had been riding a Crusoe for 5 yrs and loves it. I have a NWT (New World Tourist) and love it, but it has a weight limit of 230 lbs.

My wife has a folding stem riser on her bike (adds a little bit of weight), plus a folding seat mast, so her bike folds in one piece as OP desires.

Lou
Old 04-17-13, 05:25 PM
Dheorl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foldable Two
At 130 lbs you could even ride a Crusoe (basically the lighter Pocket Rocket frame with 406 wheels vs the PR's 451's). The Crusoe's weight limit is 190 lb, so you are way under. My wife (150 lbs) had been riding a Crusoe for 5 yrs and loves it. I have a NWT (New World Tourist) and love it, but it has a weight limit of 230 lbs.

My wife has a folding stem riser on her bike (adds a little bit of weight), plus a folding seat mast, so her bike folds in one piece as OP desires.

Lou
I did also consider a Crusoe but decided against it. Out of the bikes I mentioned I eventually decided on the Llama, purely because I wanted a decent all round bike and I wanted the option of disc brakes. Unfortunately however my LBS didn't have any of the new Llamas with the disc brake tabs in stock so would have to order one from the states. Although this sounded like a lovely idea because I'd be able to pick the colour out of their range and everything, I was told by the time it was built, delivered and assembled it would potentially be about 3 months. By that time I would have finished uni and half the summer would have gone.

In the end I have gone with a Dahon Mu Uno just for a cheap bike for popping around town and to dip my toe in the folding bike market. If it works out then next winter I'll order a bike friday ready for the summer. Still kinda bummed that I don't have a proper bike at uni with me to join in on the triathalon group rides, but what with my research assignment being due in soon I doubt I'd have the time anyways.

Thanks for the help everyone has given on this forum. I'm planning a few mods to the Dahon once I get it and I'll make sure to post here with how it all goes. I was trying to stay away from a folding bike it a hinge in the middle of the main tube, but hopefully it will be ok and I'll be happy with it. Now I'm just curious as to whether it will fit in any of my current suitcases =)
Old 04-17-13, 05:50 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dheorl

In the end I have gone with a Dahon Mu Uno just for a cheap bike for popping around town and to dip my toe in the folding bike market. If it works out then next winter I'll order a bike friday ready for the summer. Still kinda bummed that I don't have a proper bike at uni with me to join in on the triathalon group rides, but what with my research assignment being due in soon I doubt I'd have the time anyways.

Thanks for the help everyone has given on this forum. I'm planning a few mods to the Dahon once I get it and I'll make sure to post here with how it all goes. I was trying to stay away from a folding bike it a hinge in the middle of the main tube, but hopefully it will be ok and I'll be happy with it. Now I'm just curious as to whether it will fit in any of my current suitcases =)
The Mu Uno is a nice bike ... when I got MINE , I adapted a Sachs Automatic 2 speed, 451 wheels, and a short reach front caliper brake ... if you set it up with a 76-ish high gear, you'll be surprisingly quick.. when I rode it with my regular weekly 20 mile group ride, the majority were surprised I was riding right with them on a little fold up bike... my heart rate was up compared to my other geared bikes (due to increased cadence) , but average speeds weren't / aren't that much different ... I was a little surprised..
Old 04-17-13, 05:51 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
ugh..
Old 04-17-13, 05:54 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dheorl
... In the end I have gone with a Dahon Mu Uno just for a cheap bike for popping around town and to dip my toe in the folding bike market...
Congrats! Just look at the kinda fun you can have on your Mu Uno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVuEc_BUeg
Old 04-18-13, 04:07 AM
Dheorl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
The Mu Uno is a nice bike ... when I got MINE , I adapted a Sachs Automatic 2 speed, 451 wheels, and a short reach front caliper brake ... if you set it up with a 76-ish high gear, you'll be surprisingly quick.. when I rode it with my regular weekly 20 mile group ride, the majority were surprised I was riding right with them on a little fold up bike... my heart rate was up compared to my other geared bikes (due to increased cadence) , but average speeds weren't / aren't that much different ... I was a little surprised..
Glad to hear you enjoy yours. I'm going to see how I find it when I get it but am thinking on probably swapping the bars for bullhorns. Mine is also apparently coming with v-brakes front and back which I'm quite happy about tbh.
Old 04-18-13, 04:08 AM
Dheorl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
ugh..
Dare I ask the reason for that comment?
Old 04-18-13, 04:10 AM
Dheorl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
Congrats! Just look at the kinda fun you can have on your Mu Uno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVuEc_BUeg
Cool video. If only I lived in California. I suppose I live by the sea which is a start at least.