Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is it worth buying new vs used?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 08:00 PM
DirtyJersey100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am getting into the market for a folder that will be strictly used 1.2 miles one way to my job from the train station and back. I do not need the best but I also do not want something breaking down on me. I have looked at the Dahon and thinking about sticking with that brand. I normally ride regular sized fixed gear bikes but my job requires a decent train ride and need the folder to be allowed on board during rush hours. What models do you suggest? Is it worth buying new or finding something used? I try to buy all of my stuff new because I know there are no hidden problems but trying to learn from the experience of others about folders as I am a complete newbie with them.
Old 08-23-13, 08:44 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Buying a used folder doesn't bother me a bit, but then again I'm a mechanic and go over the bike thoroughly to make sure there are no issues or gotchas. Lots of folks get the folding bug, ride the bike once or twice and then put it away for whatever reason -- too heavy, doesn't fold easily, too bulky for a commute, etc.

I'll let others here chime in on specific bike recommendations.
Old 08-23-13, 09:37 PM
fusilierdan

Bikes: Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot would depend on the used bikes, price and condition. You get a warranty with a new bike. Most used ones I've seen are only about $100 less than new and/or old. If the trip is only 1.2 miles a single speed should work.
Old 08-24-13, 06:32 AM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

Used but hardly used is a good option and very easy to tell. 1.2 miles
each way is doable on just about any folder, even real low budget.

rgds, sreten.
Old 08-24-13, 10:00 AM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did rides as long as 20 miles on my 2005 Dahon S1 (single-speed). Now being used by my grandson.

That year is a very good model with an adjustable stem riser. With some short bar-ends, a metal brake lever and Tioga Pool Comp tires it was a very nice ride. (It was replaced by a Bike Friday Pocket 8.)

Don't know how easy it will be to find a used one.

Lou
Old 08-24-13, 10:28 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not an expert in folding bikes by any means. There are important considerations to consider regarding what you are planing to use the bike for. The weight of the bike, and how small and neatly the bike folds up. The bike that I have would not be a good choice as its heavy and it doesn't fold up nice and tight. For me, these issues are not important as I only put our bikes in the back of a station wagon, but for someone carrying it on public transportation, it is an issue for sure. These are issues I would be concerned about when making a choice.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 08-24-13, 08:06 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If you buy a Dahon made within the past 10 years, you will probably be fine if you can find one that hasn't been used much. Like Bargainguy said, there are a lot of lightly used folders out there, bought by people who thought they would use them to commute or whatever and then end up not.

I would avoid buying a heavily used folder, though - certain folder specific parts (hinges, etc.) can be expensive and/or difficult to repair.
Old 08-24-13, 08:35 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
As you know you can get a lot more bike for the money if you buy used. In addition a quality bicycle makes a difference in weight, reduced maintenance and pleasure of riding.

Whether YOU should buy used is entirely up to you. If you are mechanically inclined and currently tinker with your other bikes don't think twice, look for a quality used folder.

Personally I have ONLY bought used and with patience have some of the nicest folders on the market at 30% of new cost!