Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubular Tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubular Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 09:02 AM
Beau210

Bikes: Orbea Onix TLT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubular Tires?

Had a guy walk into the lbs that I get all my stuff from looking to sell a pair of carbon tubular tires for about $500.0. Just wondering how they work. Are you wheels dead if you get a whole in the tire? Do you glue on a new one? If so how do you do it, it seems like if the glue was strong enough to keep the tire on the rim and airtight then it would be pretty hard to get off. So all in all how do you like tubular tires? Thanks guys
Old 03-22-12, 09:30 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm waiting to see how the Road Forum treats someone who hasn't bothered to do their homework!
Old 03-22-12, 09:38 AM
Beau210

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty sure 90% of questions on this forum could be answered by google. Still doesn't give me the opinion of people who have actually used it and know first hand. Even if I just googled reviews I still wouldn't get the sheer number of different people who have used the product first hand and aren't getting paid to give it good ratings. At least not without going through a lot of web pages. Isn't that what a forum is all about? If not then why not just use youtube?
Old 03-22-12, 09:59 AM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They can be hard to get off (especially if you did a good job gluing them in the first place), but you learn to deal with it with practice. To minimize chances of getting a flat, most people (including me) use some form of sealant in the tires. If it is a large cut / hole though, you better have a pre-glued spare with you or you may have to call for the SAG vehicle (wife, GF, mistress, etc...) to come pick you up if you flat far from home.

Here is a recent VeloNews article on how to deal with tubular flats:

https://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...r-flats_207186

Last edited by fa63; 03-22-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-22-12, 10:03 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The inflation is part of what holds the tire on the rim. I hear you can carefully ride home on an unglued tire but have not tried it.
Old 03-22-12, 10:20 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
The inflation is part of what holds the tire on the rim. I hear you can carefully ride home on an unglued tire but have not tried it.
Yes, just take it very easy around the corners.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-22-12, 10:22 AM
18hockey
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
I'm waiting to see how the Road Forum treats someone who hasn't bothered to do their homework!
Botto doesn't venture in here so it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 03-22-12, 10:23 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fa63
They can be hard to get off (especially if you did a good job gluing them in the first place), but you learn to deal with it with practice
I find the best thing is to let the glue dry for a few days.
Old 03-22-12, 10:27 AM
BrainInAJar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beau210
Are you wheels dead if you get a whole in the tire? Do you glue on a new one?
You can tape down new tires, but the tape sucks. The real pain in the ass is what to do with the tire afterwards. You either toss your $50-100 tire for a little hole, or you have to learn how to patch the flat & sew them back together. I'm not sure which one sucks more.

Having ridden them on my race wheels for a season, I've come to the conclusion that tubs are way more trouble than they're worth.
Old 03-22-12, 10:44 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

There's someplace you can send them to get patched .... don't remember the name.
Also, sealant is an option I think.

Old 03-22-12, 10:51 AM
BrainInAJar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
There's someplace you can send them to get patched .... don't remember the name.
No, there's somewhere *you* can send them to get replaced, I'm Canadian. The postage makes it not worthwhile.
Old 03-22-12, 11:46 AM
Beau210

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you end up having a lot of glue build up that won't come off as you use the rims and replace tires? Is it easy to learn how to glue the tires on or would a newbie like me have to bring it to a bike shop every time?
Old 03-22-12, 11:54 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel tubulars are worth the racing scene, not the daily rider scenario. I had tubulars, and only had two flats with two tires, both Very far from home and both required a pick up (critical failures). I since return back to clinchers and keep a spare tube and co2... and a dollar bill. If you are racing and have a sag bus... go tubular.
Old 03-22-12, 11:54 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 376 Posts
Do you end up having a lot of glue build up that won't come off as you use the rims and replace tires? Is it easy to learn how to glue the tires on or would a newbie like me have to bring it to a bike shop every time?
It's not that hard to learn to glue tubulars, but it's important that you get it right. If you have a good shop, it would be worth paying them to do it the first time, and watching how they do it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-22-12, 11:57 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
I feel tubulars are worth the racing scene, not the daily rider scenario. I had tubulars, and only had two flats with two tires, both Very far from home and both required a pick up (critical failures). I since return back to clinchers and keep a spare tube and co2... and a dollar bill. If you are racing and have a sag bus... go tubular.
You are allowed to carry spares.

Old 03-22-12, 11:57 AM
Beau210

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
these would only be for races. I have some aksiums that I train on but I'm tired of getting flats on the RR and wasting to much time changing the tube. It would be nice to have a back up set in the pace car and just toss them on. Wasn't really planning on going tubular but these walked in the door and are a pretty sweet deal.
Old 03-22-12, 01:55 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run a bit of Stan's in my tubulars. Punctured a couple times...tires still hold air.

I gave up on the Pit Stop.

If I know I'm riding out to some out of the way spot...I'll bring a spare tire.

Gluing is the most critical part. There are plenty of videos on Youtube to show you how.
Old 03-22-12, 02:30 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wtf is a carbon tubular tire and why would two of them be worth 500 dollars?
Old 03-22-12, 02:40 PM
KypD

Bikes: LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz

this.
Old 03-22-12, 03:08 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Are you wheels dead if you get a whole in the tire? Do you glue on a new one? If so how do you do it, it seems like if the glue was strong enough to keep the tire on the rim and airtight then it would be pretty hard to get off. So all in all how do you like tubular tires? Thanks guys
The glue isn't that strong and it's a combination of the glue and air pressure in the tire that keeps the tire firmly on the rim. When you get a flat you can pull the tire free of the rim and install your spare tire (tubular tires fold easily since they have no bead and you can keep a spare or two under your saddle). The spares should already have a tacky glue layer on them so they'll adhere nicely to the rim.

So fixing a flat on the road is actually much quicker and easier than with clinchers. No need to use tire irons and no need to search for the cause of the flat since you're replacing the whole tire/tube combination. OTOH, once you get home there's the issue of fixing the flat tire which is kind of a pain. First determine exactly where the hole is so you only need to undo a little of the stitching and pull out part of the tube and determine the cause of the flat. Then patch the tube as usual and redo the stitching and attach the basetape. Much more tedious than just patching the punctured tube that you removed from a clincher tire.
Old 03-22-12, 03:11 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gluing tubular tires is not necessarily hard if you are competent with basic physical labor. It is tedious and gets easier the more you do. And I have known guys that barely put any glue on their rims. The tire pressure does most of the work, like prathmann says. If you have the money there's no real reason not to ride them everyday. But it can get costly. I have personally given up on them as they are just too expensive to deal with. Great for racing though, safer and when done right have their benefits.
Old 03-22-12, 03:12 PM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KypD
this.
+1 Not worth it on non-race.
Old 03-22-12, 03:17 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
tirealert. They can fix tubes, put on new tape, etc. Very reasonable prices.

I've been training on my tubulars a lot more. I have a bunch of tires I bought and my 60mm wheels have 21mm tires and I want to put 23 or even the 25mm tires on them. Generally though the ride is smoother due to being able to put less air pressure. A great glue job is a pain to remove the tire but worth it in piece of mind. GL
Old 03-22-12, 03:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
They were wheels with carbon tubular rims, not carbon tubular tires. I'm not saying that to be pedantic ... if the guy selling them argues, you don't want them. If they're just tubular tires sans the wheels, well, $500 is expensive even for a pair of sew-up tires!

I'd be pretty leery of buying used carbon wheels. Inspect them very closely before you do, and make sure the brake tracks aren't too worn.

I love the ride quality of my tubulars, especially when cornering.

You don't glue them yourself ... you pay LBS to do that for you. That might change when you see what they charge, though. But you don't have to make it all the way up the learning curve in one day.

Supposedly you can ride home on a flat, even on carbon rims, because the tire is glued on, and doesn't rely on air pressure to hold it to the rim, so it'll protect it from the road. You'd want to go slowly, and be careful through turns. For what it's worth - probably not much at all - LBS claims tubies are safer than clinchers, because a front blow-out would make your handling wonky, but can't catch in the fork and flip you. Sounds like a pretty far-fetched scenario.

Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
I gave up on the Pit Stop.
Mind if I ask why? I've got a can of the stuff myself, and try to remember to bring it on every ride...
Old 03-22-12, 03:18 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
wtf is a carbon tubular tire and why would two of them be worth 500 dollars?
That was actually my first thought as well.

OP - assuming you are looking for carbon tubular wheels...that you mount/glue tubular tires to.....not carbon tubular tires.

I can ride just about any wheel combo I want....I make them. I ride on clinchers. I race on tubulars....because I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.