Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 11:17 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
That sounds rough.

I only had one encounter with an idiot driver yesterday. They actually gave me a lot of room, but in order to do so they pulled into the oncoming lane with traffic approaching, causing the oncoming traffic to brake in order to avoid a head-on collision

I at least felt a little vindicated when the passer got honked at by the other drivers they endangered.
Yeah, that's a classic.
Old 02-03-20, 11:19 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
No whey!

#PartyOnWayne
beat me to it again
Old 02-03-20, 11:20 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I also had a lot of people yesterday waiting on me to pass before pulling on to the road I am on from a cross street. Generally I appreciate it, but I felt a little dumb when they're sitting there waiting and I'm climbing at 8mph into a nasty headwind. Just go! Trust me, I'm going slower than you think I am!
Yes, I'd always rather have a car ahead of me and pulling away, even if it means me slowing down a bunch briefly.
Old 02-03-20, 11:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
​​​​​​Nope, your ears are not even close to being as good a Varia. It'll pick up cars more than a football field away It'll and it'll pick up multiple cars and their relative spacing.
Again, and not to be argumentative, I'm having trouble picturing how more advance warning that there's a motor vehicle behind me is going to help. I have the same issue with mirrors.

Unless I'm dodging rocks and potholes, I am comfortable looking over either shoulder and I haven't even found that to be useful in a passing situation other than to make the driver aware that I know (s)he's there.
Old 02-03-20, 11:59 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I am of the FIRM belief that there should be more financial and skill based barriers to owning a license to drive. It's treated as a right rather than a privilege. The fact that we have to continually engineer vehicles to make up for bad driving skills is pretty indicative of the real common denominator in most accidents.

I remember getting driver's ed via my HS and how much more importance was placed on backing up a vehicle rather than situational awareness and being aware of vulnerable road users. The whole process was and is a bit of a joke.
Likes For WalksOn2Wheels:
Old 02-03-20, 12:05 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28610 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Again, and not to be argumentative, I'm having trouble picturing how more advance warning that there's a motor vehicle behind me is going to help. I have the same issue with mirrors.
Yeah, I don't get how the cyclist knowing an auto is behind him makes said vehicle any less likely to hit him.
Old 02-03-20, 12:08 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Congratulations to the Chiefs. The entire state of Kansas must be going crazy.
Nothing a little Sharpie® won't fix.
LOL we are, even though we realize they play in KC MO.

I'm moving SUPER slowly this morning (and I don't even drink) but totally worth it because it's the first time since I've been born that my team has won the Superbowl.

Also I rode my bike yesterday for the first time in a month so I guess it was good luck so I should probably start riding regularly again now.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 02-03-20, 12:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I am of the FIRM belief that there should be more financial and skill based barriers to owning a license to drive. It's treated as a right rather than a privilege. The fact that we have to continually engineer vehicles to make up for bad driving skills is pretty indicative of the real common denominator in most accidents.

I remember getting driver's ed via my HS and how much more importance was placed on backing up a vehicle rather than situational awareness and being aware of vulnerable road users. The whole process was and is a bit of a joke.
That gets into a whole thing of making it so that driving isn't a fundamental requirement of participating in the society and economy.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 02-03-20, 12:21 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts

I could maybe get behind more rigorous skills testing, but all that increasing the already significant financial burden of car ownership will do is further disadvantage people that are already at a financial disadvantage in this country. Lord knows it's hard enough to be poor, no sense making it harder.

The unfortunate fact is that car ownership is essentially required in the majority of the country. Every single place I have lived having a car was necessary for every-day life, and that wasn't by accident. The modern United States was explicitly and intentionally planned and built with the assumption that people will own cars. It's maddening.

*edit* Bah Humbug beat me to it.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-03-20, 12:27 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Disabling driver's side cell phone use would go a long ways to improving road safety.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 02-03-20, 12:40 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
And a question for rjones28 and LesterOfPuppets . The rest of you feel free to chime in.
Never having been a professional bike mechanic, need I concern myself with checking headsets in this rental fleet? Certainly the bbs are cartridge in this day and age?
​​​​​​I'm figuring it will be mostly adjusting brakes and cables and the like. Truing the occasional wheel. How about shock absorber forks? Any sort of routine maintenance?
All of them are mtb or hybrid
If you're close to the ocean or they get rained on a lot or ridden through puddles a lot I'd probably repack HS annually.

On olde school headsets, I used to cut about an inch of tube and slip it over the cups upon reassembly phase of repack, to keep the wet out.

If all your forks are coil spring, I'd clean the wipers when dirty, give em a drop of triflow occasionally. Grease the springs when noisy.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 02-03-20 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-03-20, 12:41 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I could maybe get behind more rigorous skills testing, but all that increasing the already significant financial burden of car ownership will do is further disadvantage people that are already at a financial disadvantage in this country. Lord knows it's hard enough to be poor, no sense making it harder.

The unfortunate fact is that car ownership is essentially required in the majority of the country. Every single place I have lived having a car was necessary for every-day life, and that wasn't by accident. The modern United States was explicitly and intentionally planned and built with the assumption that people will own cars. It's maddening.

Agree completely, except that the post-boomer generations are less enamored of cars and the cities and inner suburbs are already changing in favor of other modes. The rest of the country is is always going to be dependent personally owned vehicles, but money and population are currently flowing into dense areas and the trend shows no signs of letting up.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-03-20, 12:42 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Canadian air is moving in already!!! I'm so excited!
Old 02-03-20, 12:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Disabling driver's side cell phone use would go a long ways to improving road safety.
I suspect the person who hit me with the left side of their vehicle was occupied with something other than driving.
Old 02-03-20, 12:43 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Congratulations to the Chiefs. The entire state of Kansas must be going crazy.
Thanks. Now I know the good guys won.

Old 02-03-20, 12:45 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Agree completely, except that the post-Gen X generations are less enamored of cars and the cities and inner suburbs are already changing in favor of other modes.
Fixed.
Old 02-03-20, 12:52 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I suspect the person who hit me with the left side of their vehicle was occupied with something other than driving.
Yikes. You were on the right edge of the right lane?
Old 02-03-20, 12:54 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Yikes. You were on the right edge of the right lane?
Left side of the left lane of a four lane road and pretty hard to miss in broad daylight with a blinkie.
Old 02-03-20, 12:56 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Agree completely, except that the post-boomer generations are less enamored of cars and the cities and inner suburbs are already changing in favor of other modes. The rest of the country is is always going to be dependent personally owned vehicles, but money and population are currently flowing into dense areas and the trend shows no signs of letting up.
Last I saw, the post-boomer generations acquire cars at high rates once they can afford them. Not finding the data easily now, other than this:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/10/...the-recession/

However, that is still a very small trend in the face of the country's layout, especially outside of a few urban cores.
Old 02-03-20, 12:59 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

The entire test, here in Yucatan, is being able to parallel park. But, here in Yucatan, we have very little traffic, relatively speaking. And the fast lane on the outer belt during rush hour is moving at around 50 mph.

Old 02-03-20, 01:09 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Ignore the above. I am permitted to neither edit it nor delete it.

Old 02-03-20, 01:10 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Last I saw, the post-boomer generations acquire cars at high rates once they can afford them.
We'll just have to keep on narrowing their economic prospects with shortsighted policies then.
Old 02-03-20, 01:12 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Thanks for the maintenance tips. I am busy today and tomorrow, and was looking at a Wed.start, but now it looks like a touring cyclist is coming in for his Warm Shower on Wed. Last week I had nothing on my plate. this week I'm jambed (jammed?)

Old 02-03-20, 01:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Daughter just texted us a casual pic of herself with the president of Ireland. She's a pretty good networker and schmoozer.
Old 02-03-20, 01:22 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That gets into a whole thing of making it so that driving isn't a fundamental requirement of participating in the society and economy.

You're definitely both right. I'm not talking about making it impossible, just harder. Let's just scratch the financial bit and say there is a required re-test every 2 years and the test isn't easy. Maybe a driving test portion every third time, so 6 years. In Texas, I have a license that goes years and years without expiring and the only thing they check when you renew is your vision.

And yeah, the reason driving is considered a right rather than a privilege is exactly because car ownership is basically required to the point that it makes it nearly impossible to hold even the most basic job throughout most of this country.
Likes For WalksOn2Wheels:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.