Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on which bike is the better buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 04:36 PM
Thanase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

So I am looking into buying a new bike, and have narrowed down my options to 2.
I am deciding on which is the better buy (both bikes are the same price):

The Motobecane 29er x4
Save up to 60% off new 29er Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29 X4 with Custom Colored Wheels + Hydraulic disc brakes

or the Trek Marlin 5
Marlin 5 | Trek Bikes

Of course Trek is the name brand of the two, but I've heard from different sources that Motobecane bikes are usually better equipped for bikes of similar price points.
If anybody has knowledge on this and would like to share their opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-16, 06:17 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Same dealer or different dealers? My general philosophy is to shop for a bike shop first. Once you determine which shop you want to buy from, pick a brand and type that you like at a price point you are comfortable with and you'll never go wrong.

If both are available at the same dealer, ride them one right after the other. If one calls your name - that's it. If you're still undecided, pick the one with the color you like best.

You can worry endlessly over every single component but the truth is, at a price point, you aren't likely to feel much difference when you ride. The component manufacturers like Shimano produce so many different levels of components that the actual performance difference between adjacent groups is all but indistinguishable.
Old 08-20-16, 07:08 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
first off I wouldn't buy a sub $1,000 mtb with a suspension fork because the manufactures slap on a cheap fork that will be nothing but a headache for you, then because the cheap suspension fork cost more than a rigid fork they then put cheaper quality components and or frame to meet the cost points they're trying to reach.

I suggest you find a mtb with a rigid fork, you'll get a better bike with less headaches. Besides if you don't ever plan of riding severe technical single track races there is no real need for a suspension bike, and if you do plan on doing such things then you need to plan on spending around the $4500 mark to obtain a bike that will withstand the punishment. I use to ride trails in the mountains of Southern California, and all I used was a rigid MTB and I was fine, of course I wasn't racing either.
Old 08-20-16, 07:09 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Read this too: https://blog.jensonusa.com/5-reasons...-a-rigid-bike/
Old 08-21-16, 05:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Sadly, I have to agree with the above posters: cheap suspension forks are good in the showroom only.

One on the trail, they are overweight and fragile and underperform. The cheapest decent suspension forks you could buy from manufacturers are probably $400 or so, so any bike not costing twice that .... you are losing something very important somewhere, and it is almost certainly the fork.

My first MTB had a cheap fork ... and the first thing I did after a few rides was blow by bank account on a real fork ... a Huge difference. it actually complied with the territory--it didn't bounce me off on small bumps and bottom out on big hits, it actually stuck tot eh ground and absorbed some of the shock---and was tiff enough that I could corner reliably, and light enough that I could pedal up hills.

If you plan to ride real MTB trails regularly, do yourself a favor and spend minimum $1000 if you are buying a new hardtail MTB. Also, go over to the MTB forum and ask about budget shocks... not Cheap shocks, but the cheapest models of each manufacturers' lines which actually work.

Then, if you want to buy a cheap MTB with a cheap shock, shop all the close-out and returned merchandise pages of all the major bike parts websites until you see your deal on an upgrade. The difference in performance will shock (!) and astonish you. (By the way, the Motobecane comes with a Suntour? I hear they have a very worthwhile upgrade program.)

I'd say if $500 is your max budget and waiting a few months to buy a better bike is out of the question, but a rigid MTB. You will be slower, but you will be forced to develop actual riding skills.

If you are dead set on buying a bargain-basement MTB, then just know what you are getting.

From https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...s-640272.html:
“I've heard that Suntour's forks are better than RST's forks, which is nice. But think of it as more of a placeholder. Sooner or later, you'll break it or it'll freeze, and then you can replace it with either a rigid or a "real" fork.”

And:

“My '05 Fuji came with a higher-end Suntour and it was no good from the start--no rebound dampening, no adjustments except for air pressure. When you weight 230, like me, plush isn't an option. If you are looking to upgrade, save your dough for something better. You will get what you pay for.”

And this : Suntour SF12-XCM-V3-MLO, W/Lockout, 100mm fork's "WARNING" !!! - BDCyclists QA

“I'm an UPLand leader-500 user... its fork is a "Suntour SF12-XCM-V3-MLO, W/Lockout, 100mm" today when cleaning my bike I saw a yellow sticker on it... it says--
“WARNING Use Only For *LEISURE CROSS COUNTRY “Do Not Use For *Freeride / Downhill *Dirt Jumper or Any Hard Riding (Emphasis added) Improper use of this fork can result in fork failure and personal injury! “

And then there is this glowing review:

Suntour XCT 29 Review (2013)

“No matter how thin, if there is a borderline that separates decent suspension forks from useless ones, then Suntour’s XCT embodies it.

“As for the actual performance, we could just say it’s at the bare minimum, welcomed if your budget’s tight, but useless if you desire performance. The coil proves to be pretty hard, and suited more to heavyweights, with no trace of consideration to things like smoothness or sensitivity on small bumps. Neither is the travel linear, after the first 50mm the dampening becoming brutal, which may serve as a guarantee that you’ll avoid bottom-outs, but this is a system meant to kick in in the final 15mm of the travel. Strange noises also come out of this 29er version when you pull the handlebar upwards, and stiffness doesn’t even belong in the same sentence with the XCT.

“This title had to go to a certain component, and we reckon that the Suntour XCT is this year’s lousiest suspension fork we tested. (Emphasis added) From the 100mm of travel, you can practically use 80, that is if you weigh over 90 kilograms. And other than being better than a rigid fork, its performances are at an universal low.”

Stuff like that really gets you excited to buy one ... No?

Last edited by Maelochs; 08-21-16 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-21-16, 06:04 AM
eric1514

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh SuperCourse, 2016 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think the Trek is a better buy insofar as you can actually ride it and the dealer will perform a couple of maintenance adjustments for you as part of the purchase. The Motobecane will need to be assembled by you, if you have the tools and know how, or you will have to pay someone else to do it. You need to add that to the price.

Jeez, the OP hasn't said what his intentions are and someone is already suggesting he spent $4500. To the OP: If you are just riding trails and MUPs, the components are fine.
Old 08-21-16, 06:08 AM
rekmeyata

I disagree that you will be slower on a rigid mtb UNLESS you do nothing but single track riding or freeride or downhill, in fact if most of your riding is going to be on road, hard or soft pack dirt, and gravel, or XC you'll be faster on a rigid bike.
Old 08-21-16, 06:13 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
sub $1k mtn bikes with a rigid fork aren't common unless they are also single speeds.
Old 08-21-16, 07:11 AM
yadder

Bikes: CUBE Acid 29er, Salsa El Mariachi SSGT Avalanche X 2009, MMVZ Minsk 1980, Trek 4300 custom, HVZ Ukraina 111-411, Cannondale Trail 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Equipment on the Motobecane is better. And frame black matt look cool
Old 08-21-16, 07:16 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Canker
sub $1k mtn bikes with a rigid fork aren't common unless they are also single speeds.
And that is indeed a problem but they're are a few.

Cannondale Bad Boy 4 can be found at Cannondale dedicated bike stores but I would wait till end of the season closeout sale. Then there's this 29er: Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes And this hybrid: https://www.rei.com/product/892501/c...obcaAhF38P8HAQ Then there's this Diamondback that you should be able to find at Dicks Sporting Store, or at the very least they can order it, plus they have a slew of others you can see at the bottom: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7E5OLQ67NVPFZA

I think the best bet in this situation is to find a hybrid, it has the same style of handlebars as a MTB, it has almost the same size tires.
Old 08-21-16, 07:21 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by yadder
Equipment on the Motobecane is better. And frame black matt look cool

not. Bikesdirect's quality is not great and maintaining a flat finish on a bike is a major pain. For quality, sure they will slap on some of last years higher end drivetrain components to make it look gfood, but frame, stems, seatpost, etc. are subpar.
Old 08-21-16, 11:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
not. Bikesdirect's quality is not great and maintaining a flat finish on a bike is a major pain. For quality, sure they will slap on some of last years higher end drivetrain components to make it look gfood, but frame, stems, seatpost, etc. are subpar.
yes there is a lot of bias against BikesDirect.

Those who have actually done business with the company can tell you that the frame is about the same as the trek's from a year or two before, and some of the components are indeed better. Some are indeed not.

BikesDirect does not make bikes, they buy frames from reliable manufacturers and buy the parts from reliable suppliers (Shimano, Sram, FSA ... ) same as every other company.

people who say otherwise probably just don't like the website or the concept of direct-marketing. The bikes are fine, just a season or two behind the latest (which sell for a third to a half again as much.)

If you think the matte finish frame looks cool, it does---to you, and after all it is you who matters in this equation. as far as how easy it is to maintain ... first off it's a mountain bike ... it is going to get beat. Second ... who cares? How easy is any bike's finish to maintain? How many people actually do more "maintenance" on the finish than washing the bike?

In any case, i still recommend against both bikes for the reasons stated above. I also know that when I went searching for an MTB I looked at BD and a number of other sources, read a Lot of reviews, and made my choice carefully and slowly. I did not base my decision on how well the finish might or might not last.

If you know enough about bikes to buy used, I strongly suggest scanning Craigslist for older rigid MTBs. If you really, really love riding tough trails, you will eventually save enough for a bike which won't let you down, and your skills will be considerable as well.

Last edited by Maelochs; 08-22-16 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 05:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Buy the Motobecane and Swap the Fork

Find a Manitou Tower Pro on eBay and replace the Motobecane's fork with it. Then sell the OEM fork to make up some of the difference. That's what I'd do...
Old 08-22-16, 10:04 AM
rekmeyata

With Bikes Direct the quality of the bike increases as the price goes up, when you reach their upper end models in either CF or TI they can't be beat for quality or price. Their TI bikes have been raved about for years and are made by ORA, the most highly recognized TI builder in Asia (based in Taiwan); while their TI bikes are not the lightest ti frames on the market they do have a good solid reputation for holding up; and someone here was racing in cross races on a TI cross bike and loved the bike, I have a friend who has owned his TI road bike for 5 or 6 years and loves it too and so did I whenever I've ridden it which has been several times. Even their top of the line CF Motobecane and Fuji models have been raved about. I know you can't come close to the same components and frame quality at an LBS for less than twice the price! And the reviews for Bikes Direct have been 4.4 stars out of 5 which isn't all that bad.

But once you get down below $600 you could probably find the same sort of deal at a bike shop.
Old 08-22-16, 10:21 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Thanase
but I've heard from different sources that Motobecane bikes are usually better equipped for bikes of similar price points.
This is generally true, as is the fact that it will come disassembled, and you will have to put it together yourself. Not difficult, but daunting for some, so if you fall in that category budget another $60-100 for a local shop to put it together for you.
Old 08-22-16, 03:52 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Your Motobecane is made by Kinesis Industries in either Taiwan or China. They make bikes under many different brand names. From Wikipedia:
"Diamondback Bicycles, Felt Bicycles, GT Bicycles, Schwinn, Jamis, K2, Raleigh, Trek, Kross and Kona — as well as the brands marketed by the U.S. company Bikesdirect.com: Motobecane USA, Dawes USA, Cycles Mercier, Windsor America"

The Motobecane has a lot of company with brand names you will recognize but it is an entry level bike with low-end components. Too bad they joined the parade to add the crappy suspension fork. I owned a Motobecane Le Champion road bike made when the company was still based in France. Beautiful bike and it lasted me for decades. That's back when the name meant something.
Old 08-22-16, 04:03 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Working. Broken might look good but it's useless.