Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Which 700x32 touring tire?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Which 700x32 for touring and trekking
Vittoria Randonneur Hyper
20.51%
Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro
12.82%
Schwalbe Dureme
12.82%
Schwalbe Marathon Racer (folder)
10.26%
Continental Top Contact
28.21%
Panaracer Ritmo
5.13%
Panaracer T serv PT
7.69%
Forté Metro-K
7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 04:47 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I’m considering several 700x32 tires for my Soma Double Cross. The bike will be used for century rides, light touring on-road and will also see some gravel-road, gravel tow-path and easier off-road travel. The non-paved trekking could almost be done on a 700x28 slick, I can almost always find a smooth, firm line as I travel along.

I would like to avoid a knobby tire that will make paved road travel slower, but I would like to feel more confident that I'm not going to slide when on un-paved ground.

I’m considering

Vittoria Randonneur Hyper & Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro: https://www.vittoria.com/product/city-trekking/

Schwalbe Dureme: https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2666

Schwalbe Marathon Racer: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...thon_racer_429

Continental Top Contact: https://www.conti-online.com/generato...opcont_en.html

Panaracer Ritmo and T serv PT: https://www.panaracer.com/urban.php

I’ll also add the Performance Forté Metro-K Road: https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1070099_-1___

The Hyper is the smoothest and lightest tire, it can also accept 90 psi. I'm a 210 lbs guy who would want 85 psi in the rear tire.

Which will work best as a faster trekking tire in your opinion? Any other tires that I should consider?

Multiple votes are OK, but limit multiple votes, please.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-18-11 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 04:55 PM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted for the Vittoria Hyper but I personally prefer the Conti Sport Contact 700x37c, although I have 700x32c on my tandem at the moment.
Old 10-18-11, 04:55 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Dureme 26 x 2.0 on one bike and the marathon racer 700 x 35 on my other bike.
Both great tires! My guess is it would be six of one, half a dozen of the other for the 700C x 32 tires.
Old 10-18-11, 05:40 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My touring bike has 700x40 Marathons, but you mention light touring. My single-speed road bike has 700x32 Panaracer Pasela TG.
Old 10-18-11, 06:31 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted for Panaracer. The set of Crosstowns I ride on now, have taken me through broken glass bottles, metal shards, and unseen potholes at night. After 460 miles, they still look new.

- Slim
Old 10-18-11, 07:11 PM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I use and vote for Vittoria Randonneur just the Randonneur love them and have 3675 on the tires which is a 2008 Fuji Touring bike and I am going to stay with them.
When they finally show wear I am replacing with the Vittoria Randonneur-
Old 10-18-11, 07:32 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd vote for the Vittoria Randonneur Pro, not the Cross Pro but the regular/plain Pro. Only weighs a bit more than the Hyper, offers more puncture protection, and rolls almost as smoothly as the Hyper in my experience.

If you're not planning to ride off-road, then I'd ignore the Randonneur Cross Pro or any other cyclocross tire.
Old 10-18-11, 09:50 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The narrowest Duremes are 700x37, so not a 32 tire. The racers come in 30s or 35s. I have two sets of racers (30 & 35) which I use on my commuting bikes. I like them, but I wouldn't take them off-road.
Old 10-18-11, 10:25 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
32mm Schwalbe Marathons. They are a good balance between traction on unpaved surfaces, low rolling resistance on pavement, weight, and durability. I just posted this on another thread, but it is applicable here.

LHT with 700c wheels and 32mm tires. Those are about as big a tire as I want to use. My wife and I just finished a fully loaded 3 month trip which included over 400 miles of unpaved roads and trails. It also included 35 days of rain, which made things a little more interesting.

The road was too muddy to ride on. The "bike trail" was not much better.

My wife on her Co-Motion Norwest Tour. 700c with 32mm tires.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-18-11 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 07:49 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I have had a poor experience with Panaracers (fast but fragile), good experience with Schwalbe marathons (good all'rounder) and excellent experience with Vittoria Hypers (fast, very durable and great wet weather traction). We have the Hypers on our tandem now and ride trouble free loaded at 475 pounds total weight! Hypers RULE!!

BTW, We tour on a mix or road and limestone rail trail (GAP, Erie Canal) and muddy slop (C&O). The C&O is where the Panaracers failed miserably in durability and the Hypers were faultless. Since we have been riding Hypers, we have not had another thought about "could we have a better tire." Now we are free to think anout all of our other equipment but we relax as we have found the ultimate rubber to roll on.

Last edited by dwmckee; 10-20-11 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added
Old 10-20-11, 07:53 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

These are all great tires.

Prices range from $13 each for the Forté Metro-K to about $60 for the Schwable tire.

The 700x32 Vittoria Randonneur Hyper and the Panaracer T serv PT are the lightest at 350 grams, the Schwalbe Racer is 360 grams for a 700x35 tire. The other tires are all 450 grams or more.

The Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro has a max pressure rating of 70 psi, all others had 85 psi or higher.

The finalist are;

700x32 Vittoria Randonneur Hyper: fast, light, supple, moderately flat resistant, moderate price, but weaker gravel & dirt road tire due to smaller size and smooth shoulders.

700x35 Schwalbe Dureme: very flat resistant, durable, better on soft ground, heavy, and expensive.

700x35 Forté Metro-K: Best value, very good all-around performer.

If I was touring, I would use the Schwalbe, it's the toughest and most versatile. If I was doing a century ride, I would want the Vittoria, it's the fastest and most supple. For all around commuting and recreational cycling, the Forte is hard to fault.

I ordered the Hypers :-)
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-01-11, 08:16 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Ok, the Vittoria Hypers are great! How great are they, They are great on...;

Smooth Pavement, as fast a a good 700x25

They are just as fast on smooth gravel;

They are smooth and sticky on wood...;

They are smooth and fast on roadways;

And they can track well while speeding down 10% roads at 45 mph, the smooth shoulders hold well on fast turns on firm pavement;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-02-11 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 10:38 PM
Simon Cowbell

Bikes: Ti Lite and a Vaya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I ordered the Hypers :-)
Me too. Your photo essay was that convincing.
Old 11-02-11, 06:00 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Conti Top Contacts are hands down the best all-around tire I have ever owned.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-02-11, 06:53 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Hyper Pro is a nice tire, I've got a 37mm on the front of the Cross-Check w. 35mm Supreme on the back. My very limited sample in 35mm with one HyperPro, one RandonneurPro, two Marathon Supremes, one Marathon XR, Two T-Serv, Two Pasela over two years commuting 12miles/day through occasional patches of glass.

No flats w Supremes, T-servs, Pasela or XR. One flat ea. with Hyper Pro and two on Randonneur. I'd pick a T-Serv for the conditions you're describing. Maybe using an XR for the rear if bad city roads or heavy loads were involved.

Last edited by LeeG; 11-02-11 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-02-11, 06:59 AM
tcmers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running Panaracer 700X32 T Serv on my Jamis Aurora. I know that most will tell you to use a wider tire, but I've had great luck with this tire fully loaded. I do tend to pack light. I also backpack and kayak tour so most of my camping gear falls into the ultra light category. If I were to run loaded weight (Gear + Bike) in the 70 lb. or above range, I'd probably go a little wider.
Old 11-02-11, 07:08 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tcmers
I've been running Panaracer 700X32 T Serv on my Jamis Aurora. .
my heavy grocery carrier is a 26"wheeled LHT. So far 1.75" T-Servs have been perfect for loaded and unloaded riding although the front tire appears to pick up a LOT of water riding through very wet roads. It's got to be one of the nicest riding reasonably durable tires around.
Old 11-02-11, 01:21 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I've ran Panaracer TG's and Schwalbe Marathons the last few years,I like both tires.
Old 11-13-11, 12:28 PM
Simon Cowbell

Bikes: Ti Lite and a Vaya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Randonneur Hypers came in the mail Friday and I got in 28 miles on them yesterday. Very smooth and fast tire! It was like having an extra gear compared to those Conti 700x42s. I didn't feel like I was giving up that much cush either. Now I wish I'd had them on my tour last month.

Thanks for the thread!
Old 11-13-11, 01:40 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Conti Top Contacts are hands down the best all-around tire I have ever owned.
I'd disagree. Solid, but very heavy and a lot of rolling resistance. Touring Plus'es on the other hand I liked - a lot.
Old 11-13-11, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Is this a having a touring bike, or using a bike for loaded touring, question.

The LBS here sold a lot of Marathon Plus, tires to people touring the Oregon coast
with their camping gear aboard..

I have 3 bikes with them on them, 1 the 32 wide, 700c version .
[others not that size]
Old 11-13-11, 02:40 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Simon Cowbell
The Randonneur Hypers came in the mail Friday and I got in 28 miles on them yesterday. Very smooth and fast tire! It was like having an extra gear compared to those Conti 700x42s. I didn't feel like I was giving up that much cush either. Now I wish I'd had them on my tour last month.

Thanks for the thread!
Yes, I continue to be pleased with mine.
Old 11-13-11, 03:15 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
I've got a set of the Vittoria Hypers on one bike now but didn't get to put a lot of miles on that particular ride, but so far, so good. The only tire I tend to shy away from are the Pasela tg's. Had a couple side wall failures and then a friend I was touring with this past month had a similar PIA experience. Thank God for gorilla tape.