Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My frame is in pieces...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My frame is in pieces...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 07:35 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Tube junctions will look like this. The tubes a mitered, and bonded together. Then filler is used to smooth things out before getting wrapped with prepreg sheets. It then gets vacuum bagged, and baked in the oven. After sanding, the joint looks pretty good to me, and there's no need for a cosmetic layer.

I'm very familliar with the technique. I only introduced the possibility of a cosmetic layer because you expressed a desire for a gloss finish, but, concern that if the outer layer crept or shifted during the curing process you might have to accept a matte finish. Which would do a better job of not highlighting any creep or fiber shifting. The thought being: That if the outer layer is unacceptable as it appears from the vac bag and curing, a "cosmetic" layer can be added to the joints in order to achieve your desired gloss finish.

If you're equally happy with a matte finish, then disregard my comment/question.
Old 12-18-14, 07:51 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigfred
I'm very familliar with the technique. I only introduced the possibility of a cosmetic layer because you expressed a desire for a gloss finish, but, concern that if the outer layer crept or shifted during the curing process you might have to accept a matte finish. Which would do a better job of not highlighting any creep or fiber shifting. The thought being: That if the outer layer is unacceptable as it appears from the vac bag and curing, a "cosmetic" layer can be added to the joints in order to achieve your desired gloss finish.

If you're equally happy with a matte finish, then disregard my comment/question.
after seeing his most recent builds and repairs, I see no reason for a cosmetic layer. This photo is not his work, but his look the same.

He is projecting a frame weight of about 1100g, but I think it will be less because these tunes are lighter than ones he was using from a different source.
Old 12-19-14, 03:55 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@BoSoxYacht ,

Do you know how many different chain and seatstay layups Enve provided for your builder to pick from? i.e. light, medium, firm flex
Old 12-19-14, 05:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
after seeing his most recent builds and repairs, I see no reason for a cosmetic layer. This photo is not his work, but his look the same.

He is projecting a frame weight of about 1100g, but I think it will be less because these tunes are lighter than ones he was using from a different source.
That is a very respectable weight especially considering some aspects of your size. My Giant TCR Advanced from 2009 was supposed to be super light for that time and was reviewed at around 900 g but surprised me by weighing over 1,200. WUT? And that photo is very clean looking.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...