Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What former professionals ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What former professionals ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 11:58 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stucky
I think everyone would be much better off if they'd forget about Strava and just enjoy their rides!
I don't pay attention to my Strava account, but it's linked to Garmin Connect, so it updates automatically.
Old 02-26-15, 12:56 PM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to distract from the Strava discussion, but I have noticed that the former pro that I ride with uses much harder gears than the locals. He uses a standard double with 11(?)-21t (I asked him once, and I think that is what he said). I ride a compact with 11-25t, which is pretty common around here, but I know a lot of people who ride 28t or even 32t. Unlike the rest of us, he never finds himself wishing for one more gear on a hill (probably because he is hanging back with us), and I have noticed that he uses a narrower range of gears on a typical ride than most people. And yes, I notice these things because I pay attention to how he rides and try to learn from him.
Old 02-26-15, 02:36 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PiLigand
Is it? Dude is still doing what he loves. We spend our free time riding. He's just still competitive, which is really a lot of what Strava is there for.
this
Old 02-26-15, 03:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Merckx and Hinault ride a tandem:

Merckx et Hinault, un tandem... à l'heure | SONUMA
That's really precious! The footage where they discuss the '72 hour record was neat, too. Thanks for posting it!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-26-15, 03:54 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NathanC
When they launched the 525, they made this exact when that Eddy rode during the launch events. Set up for him.
Non-matching bottle cages = NOT

Oops, wrong thread.
Old 02-26-15, 04:40 PM
AMFJ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This was the bike L. Armstrong rode during last year's Little Rock Grand Fondo:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lance Bike.jpg (102.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-26-15, 04:44 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
That's so sad
Why? Competition is competition.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-26-15, 04:52 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Why? Competition is competition.
not when there isn't a level playing field.
Old 02-26-15, 05:12 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
not when there isn't a level playing field.
What's not level about it? Besides, it's for bragging rights and cheap thrills, not groceries. A guy took one of my KOMs last week on a day that he had a 20 mph tail wind. Good for him. I'll take it back when there's a 25 mph tailwind. You can't get torqued up over KOMs.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-26-15, 06:19 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
What's not level about it? Besides, it's for bragging rights and cheap thrills, not groceries. A guy took one of my KOMs last week on a day that he had a 20 mph tail wind. Good for him. I'll take it back when there's a 25 mph tailwind. You can't get torqued up over KOMs.
i don't play on strava, but I have pinned on a number, repeatedly. Those are all that ever count.
Old 02-26-15, 09:05 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Strava; powermeters; heart-rate monitors; cadence sensors; GPS; electronic shifting.....

I just don't get it. All I want to do is ride my bike, and enjoy the ride; get some exercise; and sometimes I feel like I'm doing too much because I keep track of my mileage and speed on a $13 bike computer.....

I don't even want to think about all that other stuff!

Try it some time (the simple old-fashioned way)- it'll seem like a totally different sport.
Old 02-27-15, 04:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Strava; powermeters; heart-rate monitors; cadence sensors; GPS; electronic shifting.....

I just don't get it. All I want to do is ride my bike, and enjoy the ride; get some exercise; and sometimes I feel like I'm doing too much because I keep track of my mileage and speed on a $13 bike computer.....

Try it some time (the simple old-fashioned way)- it'll seem like a totally different sport.
We are one in the same. Except my latest bike computer cost $28 on sale.
Old 02-27-15, 06:35 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I took all the computers off my bikes. Still fast, I think.
Old 02-27-15, 06:53 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Originally Posted by AMFJ
This was the bike L. Armstrong rode during last year's Little Rock Grand Fondo:

That is one nice looking bike. The Moots logo on the fork needs to go though.

The top tube looks really long. I didn't know he rode that way. But maybe it just looks long and isn't
Old 02-27-15, 07:06 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Ha! Gotcha both beat. About $6 for mine. The only thing I really use it for is to know when I have gone far enough on the outbound of my route that I can turn around and get the total for the day I was looking for. Even that is unnecessary I guess.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-27-15, 07:57 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
The Moots logo on the fork needs to go though.
Meh; My Calfee has the same thing: Calfee name on a fork mfgrd by another company.
My Litespeed has a Seven fork with Seven-labeling and look worse, IMHO.
Old 02-27-15, 10:17 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Sorry, but the way it works on this team, @pdedes gets to be our leader! (Darn! I thought it'd be me!)- Of course, if you trade that fancy-pants $28 computer in for a 1970's gear-driven speedometer- or a baseball card and a clothespin [You can judge your speed by counting the clicks], you can be our leader!

I took all the computers off my bikes. Still fast, I think.
Well, you know....those magnets will rob you of .0012 of a watt... so technically, you're faster now! This is what I aspire to though- hopefully, when I get to the point where I feel that my performance is somewhat competent [or if i get tired of seeing little-to-no improvement] I'll be to "just ride" too!

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Ha! Gotcha both beat. About $6 for mine. The only thing I really use it for is to know when I have gone far enough on the outbound of my route that I can turn around and get the total for the day I was looking for. Even that is unnecessary I guess.
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same- only, being rather new at this, I just want to see what distances I'm capable of going, and if I'm making any improvement. I have a feeling that I'll enjoy my rides even more when I can ditch the computer (and not look at my watch before setting out).

I'll bet most of the old pros, like Eddy Merckz [I didn't know that Fred and Ethel ever had a kid! ] laugh when they see people today wired-up with all this gimmickry! Some people might say that the more recent pros whjo have trained with all this stuff, are better, and have broken the old records- but I think it's just the drugs which have gotten "better"[more powerful; more effective]. But luckily, I'm not training for anything [and if I were, I'd do it the old-fashioned way].
Old 02-27-15, 01:19 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo

the standard "flip it" and "slam it" response got old a long time ago.
Seeing the spacers under Tyler's stem just validates that comfort > looking pro.
Agreed. Those slam it comments come from people, when you look at other posts truly have no clue.
Old 02-27-15, 01:33 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
A couple of local racers passed me on the road I ride today which is a popular training route for local clubs. We were riding a bit into the wind and these guys ride strong but I had about 5 miles to go and so figured I would hang with them a bit. They were riding 21-22 mph or so into a light wind which was sporty but not killer. I am keen on position on the bike and notice how others ride and both had very aggressive positions with lots of saddle to bar drop. Each had very good form on the bike and knew what they were doing. But there was one notable dynamic I often notice. We were all riding into the wind...I was hanging back just a bit and they took turns pulling for each other and neither of them touched the drops once the entire time. Not once. Either rider. Close to a flat back and didn't even use the drops. By contrast, I rode most of the way in the drops because my drop position was just a bit lower than their tops. The drops is my favorite position. I can ride a pro set up as well if I never use the drops...lol.
What has always cracked me up are the riders who have to have that uber aggressive position. They end up, due to not enough core strength, holding their torso up with their arms while on the hoods. Then they have to strain their necks to get their heads up high enough to be able to see where they are going.
Have your bars up high enough so that you can lightly place your hands on the hoods or in the drops and your torso does not need to be supported or held up.
One should be able to place a straight edge on the back of the head and have it also run down the spine/back. You can ride all day like that.
Old 02-27-15, 01:57 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How the heck does a promising photo thread about retired pros' bicycles turn into a debate about strava, electronics (or, lack thereof) and bike fit?
Old 02-27-15, 02:36 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
i don't play on strava, but I have pinned on a number, repeatedly. Those are all that ever count.
Well with one qualification. Real men pin a number on through their skin and the bravest of the brave use a knitting needle.
Old 02-27-15, 03:22 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Well with one qualification. Real men pin a number on through their skin and the bravest of the brave use a knitting needle.
I always used a nailgun. They were lighter than the knitting needle and left smaller scars.
Old 02-27-15, 03:30 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigfred
How the heck does a promising photo thread about retired pros' bicycles turn into a debate about strava, electronics (or, lack thereof) and bike fit?
Typical BF pi$$ing contest. Constant need to awe us with their superior speed and/or wisdom. I skimmed through the pictures.
Old 02-27-15, 04:08 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Old 02-27-15, 05:13 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pb_Okole
I always used a nailgun. They were lighter than the knitting needle and left smaller scars.
Sorry to expose a flaw in your thinking but:
- real men aren't weight weenies. They have enough power to overcome a few gram deficit.
- Scarring is really a badge of courage. So small scars shouldn't be the goal. If a scar is too unsightly, it can always be covered with a tattoo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.