Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best entry-level aluminium Gravel / touring bike? Ridley, canyon, or...?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best entry-level aluminium Gravel / touring bike? Ridley, canyon, or...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 02:39 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
between the topstone and grail, I would go topstone. But I would also want a different wheelset for $450usd that would cut 300-400g off the weight and be overall 'better' due to being handbuilt with butted spokes.

The grail is neat looking from afar, but far from neat looking up close. The frame gusset at the seatpost that is there to mimic the carbon frame's look is just forced and sticks out. The welds continue to look like a class of 2nd graders connected the bike with toothpaste(not saying they arent properly done, just saying they look like toothpaste). And the reach is really long compared to most all other bikes in my frame size. Oh, and they were perpetually out of stock for basically a year with no eta for restock, which I find absurd in this day and age.

but my preference is 60% aesthetic so take that with a big grain of salt. The grail certainly is priced more competitively.
Thanks for your opinion.

Yes the grail is out of stock until "early next year" so that might be annoying..

I do trust Cannondale, the pioneers of aluminum frames and makers of the CAAD range, to make probably one of the best aluminum frames. It is just that the Topstone is not priced that well, nor specced with the best components. But I guess a good frame is more important in the long run. Also the geometry is more stable / more what I am looking for, so that is important as well.

The Canyon is just so much better value sadly.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-19, 07:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Thanks for your opinion.

Yes the grail is out of stock until "early next year" so that might be annoying..

I do trust Cannondale, the pioneers of aluminum frames and makers of the CAAD range, to make probably one of the best aluminum frames. It is just that the Topstone is not priced that well, nor specced with the best components. But I guess a good frame is more important in the long run. Also the geometry is more stable / more what I am looking for, so that is important as well.

The Canyon is just so much better value sadly.

Thanks!
May have already been mentioned, not sure as I didnt go back thru, but the Topstone does have a ready to ride drivetrain that would be more conducive for me to tour/bikepack/extended day ride on. 46/30 mated to 11-34 would be better for me than Canyon's 50/34 mated to 11-34.

Also, Canyon US doesnt even show the AL Grail as an option any longer. Odd. They dropped it? Even when it was perpetually out of stock, there was a webpage for it.
Old 12-11-19, 08:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
hate to bring this up, but gearing wise, if you ever do loaded up touring, you could easily end up carrying 30lbs of stuff, and it seems to me that all the bikes mentioned will be overgeared, 50/34 cranksets, and then we dont even get into the wheel sets-not really made to be carrying a lot of weight on the back wheel.

just a couple of important points to take into consideration, although if you have never done touring with panniers, unfortunately you won't have personal experience to know how these two things will affect things.....
Old 12-11-19, 09:32 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Trek 920 is my current bike-crush, but it might be beyond your budget (as it is mine). It's also Sram components.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/b...0/920/p/21996/
Old 12-11-19, 09:56 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Trek 920 is my current bike-crush, but it might be beyond your budget (as it is mine). It's also Sram components.

It's a neat bike with good gearing, but it still only has 28 spokes per wheel.
Old 12-12-19, 05:56 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
May have already been mentioned, not sure as I didnt go back thru, but the Topstone does have a ready to ride drivetrain that would be more conducive for me to tour/bikepack/extended day ride on. 46/30 mated to 11-34 would be better for me than Canyon's 50/34 mated to 11-34.

Also, Canyon US doesnt even show the AL Grail as an option any longer. Odd. They dropped it? Even when it was perpetually out of stock, there was a webpage for it.
This is a valid point thanks.

Originally Posted by djb
hate to bring this up, but gearing wise, if you ever do loaded up touring, you could easily end up carrying 30lbs of stuff, and it seems to me that all the bikes mentioned will be overgeared, 50/34 cranksets, and then we dont even get into the wheel sets-not really made to be carrying a lot of weight on the back wheel.

just a couple of important points to take into consideration, although if you have never done touring with panniers, unfortunately you won't have personal experience to know how these two things will affect things.....
I've only ever done a light touring with a big saddlepack mounted on my road bike, and that was using a 53/39 lol.

So not sure if the 50/34 would be too big, but I guess it could be if I really go heavily packed. I guess the smaller 46/30 would be welcome both off road and loaded with touring gear.

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

Thanks! This is an interesting option actually, I should compare the geometries. I also prefer SRAM over Shimano, since I am used to their shifters. It is not really out of my budget at 1800 EUR.

Looking at it though, this bike is in a completely different category. This is a pure adventure / touring bike that has a much longer wheelbase, can take a 700x51C tire, and is much heavier by about 2 kg than the other bikes I am looking at. It also comes with front and rear racks mounted.

I think this is an awesome bike for trekking around the world on a 2-month expedition through Africa or something. As it stands, I am looking to use the bike for more casual riding on unpaved trails on the weekends, as well as lightweight touring in Europe on mostly paved roads (some offroad is possible here and there depending on the course). For those purposes, the likes of a Cannondale Topstone seem more fitting than this beast. I think both bikes can do it all. But the Cannondale is coming more from a CX / race side, and the Trek from a pure touring / adventure side.
Old 12-12-19, 08:29 AM
djb

Well, good luck with exploring options and seeing how what you get will work for different situations, specifically load weight.
Likes For djb:
Old 12-13-19, 01:12 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Sure, you are absolutely right. I am looking at the whole package. But if you are spending 1500 or more id like to get at least decent components as well as a good frame.
True, but be sure the bike doesn't offer a better groupset by compromising elsewhere that may be more important to your needs. Nothing is free, so it the bike offers a higher end groupset and the bike is inexpensive, they are cutting somewhere else. As others have pointed out, gearing, as well as the strength of the wheels, may be an issue as well for loaded touring.

And I will second the Surly Crosscheck or Straggler.

It looks like the rims on the Grail are 24 spoke rims. I would not want to do fully loaded touring on 24 spoke rims. They are good rims, but I would want a higher spoke count. It all depends on how loaded you will be.

Last edited by phughes; 12-13-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-13-19, 05:11 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
The Surly Bridge Club is another good option. It is made for all you are planning. https://surlybikes.com/bikes/bridge_club
Old 12-14-19, 12:15 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Fir gravel, most low-end bikes are aluminun. midrange are steel and high end are carbon. At your price range you should be looking at steel instead of aluminum for long day after day comfort. The Jamis Renegade is Steel and you can find several build choices in your price range.. Tiagra is an excellent group now and you should consider Tiagra as a very good option in your price range. Here is an excellent choice at a great price too: https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeltd.html . Also look at some of the other renegade steel bikes. All have rack, fender mounts and make excellent all round bikes including light touring.
Old 12-14-19, 12:22 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
A friend of mine easily tours on this Specialized gravel bike but I'm not sure which model.

I know that spot! Is this someone about to start a trip on the Allegheny Passage?
Old 12-14-19, 09:13 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I know that spot! Is this someone about to start a trip on the Allegheny Passage?
Give that man a prize ! Yea, I and a few friends traveled the GAP/C&O from Pittsburgh to DC a few months ago. After spending a few days riding around DC and seeing the sights, we headed down and did the Greenbrier River Trail which was absolutely beautiful. Though it is fairly remote, it has very nice camp sites along the trail and I would highly recommend.
Likes For robow:
Old 12-18-19, 01:37 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Fir gravel, most low-end bikes are aluminun. midrange are steel and high end are carbon. At your price range you should be looking at steel instead of aluminum for long day after day comfort. The Jamis Renegade is Steel and you can find several build choices in your price range.. Tiagra is an excellent group now and you should consider Tiagra as a very good option in your price range. Here is an excellent choice at a great price too: https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeltd.html . Also look at some of the other renegade steel bikes. All have rack, fender mounts and make excellent all round bikes including light touring.
I think that is a bit too rudimentary. I think aluminium and steel both have their uses.

A steel bike is more comfortable, but an aluminium bike is lighter (a Trek 520 is like 14kg, while a Cannondale Topstone is 10kg, not an insignificant difference).

If I was using the bike only for touring, I would probably get steel. But I will be using it EVERY weekend for one hour, - 2 hour rides through gravel and farm roads. I will be using it only ONCE a year for a multiday touring trip. The aluminum bikes' geometries by and large seem to be built more for a zippy off-road usage (and the weight also helps), while the steel bikes' geometries are mostly for stability when loaded. I think for my purpose, I will be happier with the former.

I think all these bikes are good and can theoretically do 'everything'. It just depends where they put the emphasis in the design.