Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any tips on easing a sore hip?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-10-19, 09:45 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I had a sore hip yesterday.
Not too bad and right on the hip bone.
Now the side isn't so sore as much as the side of the lower back.
Any little tips on easing the pain would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-19, 09:51 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I can't say anything definitive, but sometimes stretching is the cure. I had hip pain so bad it was debilitating. The doctor said there was no structural damage and sent me to physical therapy for stretching, which fixed me right up. In my case the piriformis stretch seemed to do the most good.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 12-10-19, 10:19 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Could be really tight hip flexors that are hurting? You could try a form roller to roll yourself out after riding. There are many YouTubes from cyclists on using a form roller. The one from Julie Elliot is my favorite for using the roller. Using it on your hip flexors is a bit controversial, but I’ve found it very helpful after hard rides.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 12-10-19, 10:33 AM
wirides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I was just in to see the PT for similar issue. He suggested:

He also did some pinned stretching on me which hurt, but helped immediately. From here is just working on mobilization of the hip and occasional nerve gliding.
Likes For wirides:
Old 12-10-19, 10:40 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Ibuprofen, or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent, or aspirin, as long as your not allergic.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 12-10-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 10:51 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Lower your saddle slightly.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-10-19, 11:10 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by wirides
I was just in to see the PT for similar issue. He suggested:

https://youtu.be/iLTBIaHU5iw

He also did some pinned stretching on me which hurt, but helped immediately. From here is just working on mobilization of the hip and occasional nerve gliding.
I have a troublesome knee and occasionally one hip. I do those lateral leg raises also and the discomfort/pain subsides. After doing them for a while, (several months) I added 10 lbs. of ankle weights to each leg. I also stretch daily. It may not always be possible but when it is, strengthening exercises frequently solve these issues.
Likes For berner:
Old 12-10-19, 11:18 AM
Groundsloth

Bikes: 2010 Trek GF Paragon 29er

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a similar running induced injury a few years ago. I think it was a tight psoas muscle. Stretching and ibuprofen were key to a speedy recovery.

+1 for foam rolling. I went to PT where I got some Theragun treatments also You can make your own for about $1, with an old golf ball and a jigsaw blade (and the powered jigsaw you already own). There is a youtube on it. I really like my DIY version.
Old 12-10-19, 05:45 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Interesting.🤔😀🤔
Likes For PdalPowr:
Old 12-10-19, 09:50 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
Interesting.🤔😀🤔
And very possibly great advice. It took me years to get over hip pain resulting from a too high seat. Steroids were involved in making the pain go away. Thankfully it is gone now, and I have a lower seat, no pain, and rode across Indiana and Ohio this year fully loaded, with no pain. Check out Steve Hogg's site. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/ and https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-11-19, 12:53 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Go and see a Physical Therapist, ideally one who specializes in sports PT and fits bikes. I had some issues with my hips/glutes/hammies this year and the PT I'm seeing has helped give me exercises that work for me and engage the glutes fully. As the PT would say, I am now 'more functional'.
Old 12-12-19, 01:22 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Two asprin and three fingers of 12 year old medicine works really well.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-13-19, 02:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
haven't looked into hip issues, but did some research about shoulders. pretty sure I have an impingement so I'm avoiding over the head lifting & taking Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) which block the COX enzymes and reduce prostaglandins throughout the body. As a consequence, ongoing inflammation, pain, and fever are reduced. I was doing occasional ibuprofen w/ some improvement, so trying this for a week or so & I'm, pleased but I mistakenly put a sheet of drywall away at work the other night & felt a twinge. pissed at myself. good luck with your hip!
Old 12-16-19, 04:00 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I have a Brooks saddle that's slightly uneven. Caused terrible hip pain on one side. Adjusting the saddle so my butt was evenly supported (regardless of the position of the nose) fixed the issue.
Likes For duffer1960:
Old 12-16-19, 01:51 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by duffer1960
I have a Brooks saddle that's slightly uneven. Caused terrible hip pain on one side. Adjusting the saddle so my butt was evenly supported (regardless of the position of the nose) fixed the issue.
How was it uneven? The reason I ask, is my B17 showed dimpled off-centered, which was a result of the saddle being too high, and me dropping to one side to compensate. That caused the hip problems I had. This was after being fitted too high. Lowering the saddle fixed the issue, and now I sit properly centered not he saddle, and the dimples have now reformed properly centered on the seat.
Old 12-16-19, 09:25 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have this weird feeling that my Brooks saddle is too low, but if I raise it, I get the hip issue.

There seems to be a reoccurring theme here...
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-17-19, 02:11 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Some good advice above. I would only add that you really don't want to take NSAIDs for any longer than absolutely necessary, as they increase stroke risk pretty markedly. That said, when you need 'em, you need 'em. I am currently on Alleve for a bad tooth--so there you go...
Old 12-17-19, 07:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Some good advice above. I would only add that you really don't want to take NSAIDs for any longer than absolutely necessary, as they increase stroke risk pretty markedly
oh really?
Old 12-17-19, 07:09 AM
rumrunn6

I have this weird feeling that my Brooks saddle is too low, but if I raise it, I get the hip issue.There seems to be a reoccurring theme here...
maybe old guys like me ride more brooks. meaning: maybe it's not the saddle, it's the old guys w/ old hips
Old 12-17-19, 07:10 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
This is interesting .... I've had both hips replaced and had 1 1/2 years of trouble free cycling, I started thinking I was a "more serious" cyclist as my distances increased and raised my seat thinking it'd be where a "more serious" cyclist would have theirs and have had a year of problems.

I lowered it a bit about 4 weeks ago and fingers crossed the issues seem to have gone.
Likes For Witterings:
Old 12-17-19, 08:25 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
This is interesting .... I've had both hips replaced and had 1 1/2 years of trouble free cycling, I started thinking I was a "more serious" cyclist as my distances increased and raised my seat thinking it'd be where a "more serious" cyclist would have theirs and have had a year of problems.

I lowered it a bit about 4 weeks ago and fingers crossed the issues seem to have gone.
I really hope it works out for you. My pal had his right side done and has had nothing but pain at the top of the pedal stroke, right in the hip flexor area. He just really cannot ride anymore. Seriously bums him out.
Old 12-17-19, 10:22 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Plus one on lowering saddle

Just went through left leg episode. No pain while riding bike on magnetic resistance trainer, but significant pain, seemingly out of nowhere at night in bed. Pain radiating out enough that I couldn't even tell if it was leg or abdominal issue. Took a few days of from cycling and went for walks instead. When the problem had lessened, I could localize the intermittent pain, and as best I can tell it was inflamed tendon in hip flexor. At 63 years of age, things that were once easy can cause problems like this.

Lowered seat a half inch and returned to cycling on the trainer after several days of no pain. So far, so good. Did lowering the seat help? Can't be sure, but it seems that what works on the road might not work on indoor trainer. Outdoors you naturally change position, cadence etc. a lot more. Indoors I tend to sit and crank without much change of position, and actually pedal harder than outdoors on the road. So seat height may be more critical the more you stay seated and in the same position fore/aft on saddle.

My issue felt more like a repetitive motion syndrome, possibly a nerve thing the pain was so severe. I'd try taking a reprieve and once the pain subsides, return to cycling at lower intensity for a while until you regain confidence. Also move around to avoid staying in one position; stand up to pedal up hills and whenever butt feels sore.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 12-17-19, 12:40 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I really hope it works out for you. My pal had his right side done and has had nothing but pain at the top of the pedal stroke, right in the hip flexor area. He just really cannot ride anymore. Seriously bums him out.
He should try to go with shorter cranks it he has the issue with the seat adjusted properly.
Old 12-17-19, 10:32 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
maybe old guys like me ride more brooks. meaning: maybe it's not the saddle, it's the old guys w/ old hips
I think you missed wgscott's point. The issue is running it too high. There seems to be a tendency today to jack the seat height too high. This has been made bearable by seats with cutouts, which helps mask a too high seat height. With a Brooks you will feel it, and you will see the dimples offset to one side, as a result of compensating by dropping to one side. If you have the seat height correct, the seat disappears under you. Mine is amazing.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-17-19, 10:52 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
as long as there's no swelling, a hot tub/jacuzzi will do wonders in the short term.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.