Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedal/crank question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pedal/crank question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-19, 04:04 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Pedal/crank question

My wife is scared of the clip-in pedals after a fall that messed up her shoulder. So I'm gonna get some mountain bike pedals for her road bike, metal with the little studs that will keep her feet from slipping while pedaling.

Seems that most of them have a smaller circumference threaded part that won't fit into the standard crankset on her Trek road bike.

What is the answer? An adapter? Are there pedals that have the right part (I feel stupid - don't know the name of it)?

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Old 12-19-19, 04:11 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Most pedals have a 9/16 spindle thread, regardless of their intended use(road/MTB). The smaller 1/2 thread pedals are usually only found on exercise bikes and cheap department store bikes
Old 12-19-19, 06:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
If you go to a bike shop with the old pedals they can match up the new pedals WRT the thread size. As others have said I suspect you looked at BMX pedals which default to 1/2" thread often, even though many of the BMX pedals are also made in the 9/16 size too. Andy
Old 12-19-19, 07:14 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I use toe clip / cages to keep my shoes from slipping off the pedals. I've used both the MKS "toe clip" (sheet metal) and "cage clip" (bent wire), and plastic Zefals.

I recommend the full size MKS "cage clip" (wire) because you can bend it by hand to fit your shoes, and it is stiff enough that it does not really require a belt. I don't use the belt because it gets caught on my shoes and prevents me from quickly slipping out my feet in sudden stops.

I prefer the "cage clip half" which is shorter on top than the full size "cage clip" because the extra length is not necessary, but even though the size table says the Large size of the full and half are the same 65mm toe offset, the half is actually 5mm shorter. So i stick to the full clip. It's actually a few millimeters too short for my boots, so I add a few washers under the bolt head to offset the toes a little farther forward.

The "toe clip" (sheet metal) can't be bent by hand and fits thin shoes, doesn't work for boots except for the "deep half/quarter clip". The "cage clip" (bent wire) is better because you can bend it to fit boots for winter, and then bend it again in the summer for thin shoes.

The Plastic Zefals was ok for boots, but sometimes depending on your shoe thickness, the plastic Zefals could be either to narrow or too deep.

https://www.mkspedal.com/sites/defaul...%20ToeClip.pdf

You also should not ride with the toe clips upsidedown because it could get caught on road debris.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 12-19-19 at 07:20 PM.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 12-19-19, 08:27 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As others have said I suspect you looked at BMX pedals which default to 1/2" thread often, even though many of the BMX pedals are also made in the 9/16 size too. Andy
Andy,

Yes, that's what I want for her, BMX pedals. Something similar to these...

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...E6c3RhbXAgMg==

Gary
Old 12-19-19, 09:58 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Power Grips Power Grips are another alternative, which may avoid you wife feeling trapped in her pedals. They are simple and intuitive to twist out of.
Old 12-20-19, 10:08 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
There is also this option...
You didn't mention what brand of clip-ons are currently on the bike, but these things clip onto a clipless SPD to create a flat/platform pedal. If it isn't SPD, there's probably one available in the formate you need. AND, in the event she wants to go back to clipless...the pedal is already on the bike.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...RoCsc4QAvD_BwE

Dan
Old 12-20-19, 12:27 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
My wife is scared of the clip-in pedals after a fall that messed up her shoulder. So I'm gonna get some mountain bike pedals for her road bike, metal with the little studs that will keep her feet from slipping while pedaling.

Seems that most of them have a smaller circumference threaded part that won't fit into the standard crankset on her Trek road bike.

What is the answer? An adapter? Are there pedals that have the right part (I feel stupid - don't know the name of it)?

Thanks in advance,

Gary
I run the DMR v12 pedals. I get very good grip from them. https://www.amazon.com/DMR-Pedals-Ma...6866178&sr=8-6

Wellgo makes some great options as well. I have a pair from them too, they look basically the same.
Old 12-20-19, 05:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I like my DMR V12s, too, which I went to because I kept getting locked into SPDs. I've learned some new things in my dotage, but obviously SPDs were beyond me.

One potential issue for your wife: every so often, I back a leg into the pins of one of the pedals. That's caused some pain and left some scars.

BTW, I like the DMRs far better than toe clips and straps.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 12-20-19, 07:07 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
PS: If you are going to replace them yourself, be aware that there is a LEFT pedal and a RIGHT pedal and that they both tighten toward the FRONT of the bike! "Fasten toward the front, Remove toward the rear." Otherwise, you are going to strip one of them, most likely the left pedal.
Old 12-20-19, 09:05 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...look here and pick something that says it has a 9/16" axle. You should be able to get something adequate for $20-30.
Old 12-21-19, 10:47 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Toe clips

I use toe clips on all my bikes, with MTB shoes without cleats. First time I rode clipless was a loaner bike and shoes. I didn't fall, but it was so hard to twist out of them I strained my knee. I think the guy who loaned me the bike and shoes was screwing with me...he must have had them adjusted to max release force.

I never tighten the straps, so I can pull my foot out quickly and easily, yet I feel secure and my feet can't slip off pedals. I don't care about speed, or I might buy the three sets of pedals and two pairs of shoes I'd need to transition to clipless.

On a humorous note, the first time I rode my first decent bike, a new Raleigh 6 x 2 speed back in 1981, i pulled up to a stop sign in Yuma, AZ. I had the straps tightened and forgot to reach down and release them, so when I tried to put my foot down, instead I fell over sideways onto my shoulder. Just as I'm falling, a carfull of teenagers pulled up beside me, all laughing their heads off, and one of them says in a funny, non- threatening voice, "@sshole." I had to laugh too.