Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New steel frame. Small dings and defect

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-11-19, 04:47 PM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Just received a new frame. Found a few little dings on inspection. Should I be concerned? Any safety concerns?

The first 2 pics are on the seat tube. 2 very small dings or dents. Don't know if you would call them dents.

The 3 pic is of the seatstays. It's not a dent but it's a little round bubble. If you run your finger along it it comes up a bit at the spot.

A little disappointed as it's a new frame. I did get a deal on it. Is this expected with the cheaper steel frames?

Last edited by Slowridr; 12-11-19 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-11-19, 05:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I wouldnt be concerned about safety.
I would be concerned that I was given a frame that isnt up to my expected standards.

I would ask for a refund and for them to cover the cost of shipping.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-11-19, 05:07 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
Just received a new frame. Found a few little dings on inspection. Should I be concerned?

The first 2 pics are on the seat tube. 2 very small dings or dents. Don't know if you would call them dents.

The 3 pic is of the seatstays. It's not a dent but it's a little round bubble. If you run your finger along it it comes up a bit at the spot.

A little disappointed as it's a new frame. I did get a deal on it. Is this expected with the cheaper steel frames?

Soma Smoothie? What kind of deal? Was it a "blem" sale?

Even if it wasn't, I'd build the bike and ride it. More dings and scratches will be coming that will make you forget about those little blems.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 12-11-19, 05:36 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
What is the frame (mfg/model), and from whom did you purchase it, and how was it 'advertised'?

All of these things matter. You (op) mention that you did 'get a deal'. Well, a 'deal' can be conditioned by many qualifications: as is; mfg's 'seconds'; and so on.

Without context, it's genuinely difficult for anyone on here to comment meaningfully in response to your questions.
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-11-19, 05:51 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Unless it's from something like Bike Island, where you know it has "stated" issues, I'd expect a new unblemished frame, and it would go back.

As far as your "deal" goes, I don't buy bikes unless they're a very good deal, and I expect a new unblemished product.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 12-11-19, 06:40 PM
Slowridr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Soma Smoothie? What kind of deal? Was it a "blem" sale?

Even if it wasn't, I'd build the bike and ride it. More dings and scratches will be coming that will make you forget about those little blems.
Originally Posted by badger1
What is the frame (mfg/model), and from whom did you purchase it, and how was it 'advertised'?

All of these things matter. You (op) mention that you did 'get a deal'. Well, a 'deal' can be conditioned by many qualifications: as is; mfg's 'seconds'; and so on.

Without context, it's genuinely difficult for anyone on here to comment meaningfully in response to your questions.
Yes it's a soma smoothie.

Purchased brand new from the manufacturer. I got a deal because I think it was one of the last ones in black (maybe 2017 or 2018 model). It was almost half price but indicated brand new. Nothing stated about damaged

Might be a pain to return as I'm in Canada but I'll do what I have to do.

Just wanted some opinions on what to do and if it's safe.

Thanks
Likes For Slowridr:
Old 12-11-19, 06:49 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
Yes it's a soma smoothie.

Purchased brand new from the manufacturer. I got a deal because I think it was one of the last ones in black (maybe 2017 or 2018 model). It was almost half price but indicated brand new. Nothing stated about damaged

Might be a pain to return as I'm in Canada but I'll do what I have to do.

Just wanted some opinions on what to do and if it's safe.

Thanks
Personally, those little blemishes would bother me the first day, or maybe up to the point the bike was assembled and I haven't ridden it yet. One paint marring slip of a tool during assembly would make me forget about those blemishes pretty quickly, that's for sure.

Also, knowing what little paint chips happen in actually riding a bike, I'd not worry about it once I started putting some wear on the tires. But that's just me.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 12-11-19, 07:10 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I don't know if I would have even seen those on initial inspection. For 1/2 price on that frame I would probably figure I would not do any better. However, my opinion really does not matter. It is your frame, money and time. Do what you think is best and live with your choice.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-11-19, 08:31 PM
Slowridr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm probably gonna regret this after but I've emailed them asking for a return. Shipping is gonna be expensive and I think I'm right that they should pay the shipping also.

Kinda a headache because now I'm also gonna have to try to get a refund on the taxes but the marks are bothering me
Old 12-11-19, 09:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
So you are returning a half-price frame for the ability to purchase a full-price frame?

I certainly would be frustrated by those marks, at least the first one that seems visible. The other two appear to be mighty small.

Nonetheless, I'd be building the bike to ride, use, lock up, and perhaps occasionally drop. I know, I'm hard on the bikes, but that is part of life.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 12-11-19, 09:18 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Return maybe, but if they offer a reasonable kick back that wouldn't be unreasonable.
Old 12-11-19, 11:10 PM
Slowridr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I certainly would be frustrated by those marks, at least the first one that seems visible. The other two appear to be mighty small.
Yeah the first and third one bother me. The third one can't see very well but it's a small bulge. Don't know if it's from manufacturing.

Steel doesn't usually catastrophicly fail I hear. I don't have much experience with steel. Wanted to try our a road frame. Not a good start lol
Old 12-12-19, 05:24 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
So you are returning a half-price frame for the ability to purchase a full-price frame?

Nonetheless, I'd be building the bike to ride, use, lock up, and perhaps occasionally drop. I know, I'm hard on the bikes, but that is part of life.
PLUS ONE
Half price, I also would keep the frame and build it. I’d put some reflective tape over the blemishes and on the opposite side for geometry for it to match, so you don’t have to be reminded every time you ride it about the toads that didn’t tell you about them before you bought the frame. Then no worries, ride it and enjoy your new bike.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 12-12-19, 06:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I'd think about what else I could get for that price before I sent it back. Might save yourself some aggravation.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-12-19, 06:42 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
?? Those photo's are magnified close-up's, and it's a hand-built steel frame. Your're going to get dings and paint chips bigger than that the first week you ride it. These three blemishes are insignificant and the likelihood of them impacting the integrity of the frame are near zero. I expect good quality welds, nice finish, and a great road feel from steel bikes. Asking for total perfection at half price? Not the best strategy - my feelings only.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 12-12-19, 07:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
I would probably ask Soma for a partial refund, perhaps in the form of store credit (which reduces the cost for them), assuming that you are interested in buying any parts from them.

FWIW, I got a new custom bike this year, and when the frame arrived at my dealer, it had a paint flaw like the one in your second pic (very small, in other words - a bit larger than a pinhead). Since the bike was already behind schedule and it was riding season, the shop built it up and offered to pay for a complete frame repaint in the winter; the frame is currently on its way back to the builder.
Old 12-12-19, 07:15 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
have not read responses

would not worry about it, and would ride the bike

you could send the pics in to Soma or the dealer just as an fyi but don't expect any action. Then if you get anything it's a bonus. I doubt I would look over the frame as closely as you have but that's me, others will
Old 12-12-19, 08:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
so you don’t have to be reminded every time you ride it about the toads that didn’t tell you about them before you bought the frame
Or leave as-is, to remind yourself that you're riding a bike that looks like a thousand bucks... but wasn't.
Old 12-12-19, 08:38 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
To avoid the costs of shipping the frame back (if it comes to that), you can drop it off at your dealer for the Soma sales rep to collect.
Old 12-12-19, 08:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Keep the frame...

...and build up the bike. Those blemishes are insignificant. Really.

Why put everyone involved through the pain of refunding, shipping, restocking, waiting, paying more for the next frame...and for what?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 12-12-19, 08:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I would probably ask Soma for a partial refund, perhaps in the form of store credit (which reduces the cost for them), assuming that you are interested in buying any parts from them.
This ^^^

It's a half price frame, the last one in the color you want. I would just build it up because it's going to cost you more to purchase a full priced frame and it's not the one you originally wanted to begin with. The best COA if it bothers you is to ask for a credit.
Old 12-12-19, 12:30 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Please, please tell me you are OCD and compulsive to help me understand the problem. The frame is half price. Expecting perfection at half the cost?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-12-19, 01:22 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
For what it's worth, black paint is real easy to touchup. You won't even notice . Enjoy KB.
Likes For kcblair:
Old 12-12-19, 02:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
PLUS ONE
Half price, I also would keep the frame and build it.
The half price isnt because its a cast-off frame, its because its last year's frame. There absolutely should be an expectation that the frame is equal to every frame that was sold at full price. Just because its now half the cost doesnt mean standards should suddenly be lowered.

Originally Posted by tgenec86
?? Those photo's are magnified close-up's, and it's a hand-built steel frame. Your're going to get dings and paint chips bigger than that the first week you ride it. These three blemishes are insignificant and the likelihood of them impacting the integrity of the frame are near zero. I expect good quality welds, nice finish, and a great road feel from steel bikes. Asking for total perfection at half price? Not the best strategy - my feelings only.
Its half the price only because the company decided to discount the frame to push out inventory. This exact frame was full priced at one time. Its not like quality should be worse now that the frame is priced to move. It sat on the shelf as a full priced frame and sat there as a half priced frame. The quality standards shouldnt be different. As for it being a handbuilt steel frame- that doesnt excuse the dent and bulge. That stuff is avoidable in ALL types of frame- steel, aluminum, titatnium, and carbon.

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Please, please tell me you are OCD and compulsive to help me understand the problem. The frame is half price. Expecting perfection at half the cost?
That last question of yours is absurd. Products that are discounted to move inventory should still be of the same quality as when that exact product was full priced. If the frame is sold at a discount due to blemishes or chips, then sure the quality is less because that is the reason for it being discounted. If I buy a car at the end of the season for a discount when new models are hitting the lot, I expect the car to operate just as well as if I had bought it 2 months prior before the upcoming year's models arrived. Same goes for anything else- golf clubs, clothes, bikes, cell phones, etc etc.
Ripple in the frame and a dent just isnt OK if it isnt disclosed ahead of time.
Had the OP purchased the frame at full price the day before it went on sale, you really would take issue with the ripple and dent, but if they purchased it the day it went on sale, you would then say 'what do you expect for half price- perfection'? That seems to be your position and if it is, it makes no sense.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-12-19, 02:49 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 371 Posts
It they have other frames that a half-price but in better condition, I'd try to get one. But if they don't have any more half-off frames, I'd consider keeping it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.