Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Questions on getting professional fit and LBS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 03:55 PM
BillClinton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Looking to finally go ahead and get a fit done by the local shop, but wanted to know what I should be looking for and if there are any questions I should ask first. There are two pretty reputable shops in my area so I do have options. Is there anything specific or special I should be looking for from the shop when they do the fit? Any specific method or piece of technology that will make a big difference? Do shops typically let you come back after a few weeks if something feels uncomfortable and adjust it for you? Any feedback is appreciated; I just want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money. And I know there is a specific bike fit category but this is frequented much more.

Thanks

Edit--I just called around, there are 4 shops that are within driving distance. Prices are $40/flat, $60/flat, $50-$80 depending on extent, and $60/hour.

I ride a Trek and one of them is a certified Trek dealer, do you think that would be my best bet?

Last edited by BillClinton; 12-29-14 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 04:53 PM
Flatbroke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at a lbs and they charged 185 for the fit. I was told it takes about 3-4 hours to complete.
Old 12-29-14, 04:55 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are pretty standard rates for a basic fit. There are more extensive ones that cost about $250 to $400. Some people swear by them but I just can't justify forking that much over.
They should spend about an hour with you and ask you a bunch of questions. If you have any issues like pain in your elbows, hands, shoulders and etc. after riding tell them. Your input is needed to make your ride as comfortable as possible. I have had 3 and the only other expense was changing stem lengths on one. Even that was not an expense as they traded my old one for theirs.
I would go with the shop that you feel most comfortable with.
Old 12-29-14, 05:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My fit was 3-4 hours and $250. It included a Retul fit with video capture and a refit after 6 months.
Old 12-29-14, 05:07 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have any specific issues that you would like addressed?

How comfortable and confident are you with your current fit?

"Fit"s can range across a large spectrum, from simply adjusting saddle height and set back as well as stem length and angle, to more advanced addressing of foot/shoe/pedal interfaces, anchoring of pelvis, and tweaking upper body position to achieve specific aims.

I've been fit a number of times over the years. I've never made large adjustments as a consequence. But, numerous small tweaks to address specific issues from time to time. One of my most productive fittings was the most recent one, where we spent the majority of the time focused on my feet, insoles, shoe, cleat, pedal interfaces. Getting everything "just right" there definately made a difference in both my power production and comfort. Surprisingly, that was not the problem I had identified and wanted to work on. But, the fitters solution went a long way to achieving my goals and for the rest he suggested I do a better job of performing my prescribed core exercises:-)
Old 12-29-14, 05:38 PM
BillClinton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently quite comfortable w my fit. I occasionally have mild knee pain and also feel a tiny bit stretched on the hoods. I spent a lot of time doing my own fit but figure it will be worn it to have it tweaked. I also just got a new saddle so I thought this would be the time.
Old 12-29-14, 05:48 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sounds like you may be getting prices for a semi-pro fit.
Old 12-29-14, 05:52 PM
BillClinton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
sounds like you may be getting prices for a semi-pro fit.
Will that be sufficient though, like previously mentioned, just looking for some minor tweaking.
Old 12-29-14, 06:52 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Just post some side on pics to the 41. Its free and our collective wisdom is like a million times betterer than any shop.
Old 12-29-14, 07:24 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BillClinton

...I just called around, there are 4 shops that are within driving distance. Prices are $40/flat, $60/flat, $50-$80 depending on extent, and $60/hour. ...
i wouldnt' have it done at all, but if forced to, i'd go to the $60/hour guy, and ask for about 10 minutes worth.
Old 12-29-14, 07:46 PM
Roadbikedude

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix SL3, Specialized Tricross Comp, Specialized Expedition, Borus X7 Fat Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Specialized Body-fit takes 3-4 hours with a 1/2 hour followup 30 days later. Cost around $325 - I did one for my Roubaix because I wanted everything just right. During the fit, I found out one leg was shorter than the other. Along with a whole bunch of tweaking and a video of you pedaling your bike before and after you get a boatload of great info. BTW, I have no "fit" related issues with my bike - if you have the cash and you plan to cycle for a long time, it is worth it IMO.
Old 12-29-14, 08:09 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Problem is with "pro fitting" is that most "pro fitters" are college kids who were taught by the owner or a bike manufacture in 2 to 3 days how to fit a bike to a person, and for that the shop collects (around here) $150 PLUS any parts they recommend which means on the average you'll walk out $400 poorer. Than once you start riding with your new fit and gear to help you fit you find out you're still in pain so you go back and they do another fitting (this one is at least free) then claim you need another $300 in parts to make it work. From what I have found out from people I knew who got fittings about 75% came out worse than they did before they went in, not to mention poorer.

Talk to a cycling club and see who they recommend for a pro fit, they usually know.
Old 12-29-14, 08:39 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillClinton
I am currently quite comfortable w my fit. I occasionally have mild knee pain and also feel a tiny bit stretched on the hoods. I spent a lot of time doing my own fit but figure it will be worn it to have it tweaked. I also just got a new saddle so I thought this would be the time.
Although you say your comfortable, it sounds like you need some minor tweeking to address the issues you mention. A good fitter should be able to get you positioned properly to hopefully address these problems. Ideally, the best way to find a good fitter is word of mouth. Ask around with some of your cycling buds to see who they recommend if possible. Take your time to find a good fitter, since you want to get it right the first time. Btw, I'm considering having another fit since my fitness and level of riding has changed considerably since the last Retul fit several years ago.
Old 12-29-14, 10:17 PM
BillClinton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
Although you say your comfortable, it sounds like you need some minor tweeking to address the issues you mention. A good fitter should be able to get you positioned properly to hopefully address these problems. Ideally, the best way to find a good fitter is word of mouth. Ask around with some of your cycling buds to see who they recommend if possible. Take your time to find a good fitter, since you want to get it right the first time. Btw, I'm considering having another fit since my fitness and level of riding has changed considerably since the last Retul fit several years ago.
That's exactly it, I want to get it right the first time. I don't have many buddies around here who know better but I did message a pretty experienced and knowledgeable rider so hopefully he can help.
Old 12-29-14, 10:44 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're gonna spend over $200 then don't bother with anything besides a Retul fit...that's my 100% free advice. Most likely will result in more than minor tweaks. At least mine did. They actually measure and try to optimize power output within certain "standard" parameters for several key measurement.
Old 12-29-14, 10:58 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
The great thing about cycling is its a constant evolution. My bike fit changes as I become more fit. In the winter months I raise the bars and shorten my stem. In summer I am more fit, more flexible and I use a longer stem. My seat height goes up too. I would think after a few hundred miles in the saddle you begin to dial in your fit. Just the fact that you are working certain sets of muscles and acquiring fitness as you ride seems to justify a constantly changing bike fit. When you peak at a certain level and maintain that fitness then you can look at the bike as fitting well and have a base to adjust with. But anyone starting out on a new bike, I cant imagine not adjusting it before every ride until.it feels good. And then adjusting it frequently as your body changes and your fitness improves.
Old 12-30-14, 07:52 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
The great thing about cycling is its a constant evolution. My bike fit changes as I become more fit. In the winter months I raise the bars and shorten my stem. In summer I am more fit, more flexible and I use a longer stem. My seat height goes up too. I would think after a few hundred miles in the saddle you begin to dial in your fit. Just the fact that you are working certain sets of muscles and acquiring fitness as you ride seems to justify a constantly changing bike fit. When you peak at a certain level and maintain that fitness then you can look at the bike as fitting well and have a base to adjust with. But anyone starting out on a new bike, I cant imagine not adjusting it before every ride until.it feels good. And then adjusting it frequently as your body changes and your fitness improves.
That sounds fine if you own a bike shop crammed with assorted frames and forks a box full of stems of different angles and extensions. But the average Joe can only raise and lower their seat and move it back and forth. And that should only be done in response to issues with pedaling, not in order to affect reach and drop which must be managed by top tube, head tube, and stem choices. While your notion of ever-changing fit in response to an ever-changing body makes some sense, it is totally impractical as a daily pre-ride regimen. Someone who needs professional fitting advice had best get it prior to the purchase of the bike, then fine tune it immediately upon receipt of the bike. Further tuning can be done on a periodic basis, say after 6 months or so in case the saddle needs to be moved, the stem needs to be changed out, and/or spacers removed. But the idea of a frequent adjustment just doesn't make much sense for the normal rider. I have been riding the same effective bike geometry (not just frame geometry, but complete bike geometry) for decades despite aging into my 60's. Aging and the maladies it brings can require us to modify our bike fit some, but once we are fit, experienced riders, these changes should be infrequent and small. In the occasional case of a debilitating condition like the need for a spinal fusion of the neck vertebrae, some drastic change in riding style could be necessary, but still that would be a one-off modification.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 12-30-14 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-30-14, 11:11 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I guess everyone is different. For me its shorter stem and lower saddle in the winter. I gradually adjust my bike as the weather warms. By mid summer I usually leave everything set. But even then I tilt the saddle, tilt the bars, raise or lower the saddle, cleat adjustments. Just what I have always done. Thats why I mention that its a constantly evolving thing. My fitness varies tremendously from mid winter to mid summer and everywhere in between.
Old 12-30-14, 12:13 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just had a fit done a few weeks ago and was happy with the results. Similar to your circumstances I was comfortable that my current fit was already in the ballpark and was really looking for some tweaks and confirmation that my fit was close to optimal. The cost of the fit was $75 and it took about an hour. It included the use of power meter and video data and started with a 5 minute warm up followed by some moderate intervals. At that point I got off the bike and reviewed the video data with the fitter and whatever software they were using was able to super impose my leg angle and I was able to look at my head, neck, upper body and pelvic position. Some minor tweaks were made followed by another set of moderate intervals and review of the video data. Final adjustments were made and that was it ... sweet, simple and to the point, The fitter was experienced, knowledgeable and at the end of the fit gave me some tips on how best to transfer the fit measurements he had just taken to my other bikes.

I read an article by Selene Yeager not too long ago where she mentioned the need to review your fit at least annually given likely changes in your degree of flexibility, fitness level, cycling goals etc. IMO this is good advice and provides a very high ROI given a cost of less than $100 vs. all the other cycling crap I spend my money on.
Old 12-30-14, 03:11 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have always been the guy who says, "I can set up my own bike thank you." But, a recent experience with someone who actually has been trained and has the proper equipment has turned me around. Do your research about the system and the person who is doing the fitting. If you find the right combination you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-30-14, 05:10 PM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I paid $200 each for my fittings. It took around 2.5 hrs the first time and around 2 hrs second bike. It's time consuming and some of the best money spent by me for cycling. NO issues with comfort after the fits.
Old 12-31-14, 12:01 PM
MDfive21

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wouldn't go to a shop for a fitting. you might get the guy who knows what he's doing, but you might also get some guy with a rudimentary idea of fit.

seek out the guy who owns his own non-affiliated studio and go him. there's one or two in every large market. it will cost 200-300 but i'd say it's worth it. i learned a lot about body mechanics when i had a fit done recently. worth the cash imo.

also, if you are recovering from injury and biking is part of your rehab, it's possible to have the fit reimbursed by a flex spending account. all you need is a letter of medical necessity from your doctor.
Old 12-31-14, 02:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by MDfive21
i wouldn't go to a shop for a fitting. you might get the guy who knows what he's doing, but you might also get some guy with a rudimentary idea of fit.

seek out the guy who owns his own non-affiliated studio and go him. there's one or two in every large market. it will cost 200-300 but i'd say it's worth it. i learned a lot about body mechanics when i had a fit done recently. worth the cash imo.

also, if you are recovering from injury and biking is part of your rehab, it's possible to have the fit reimbursed by a flex spending account. all you need is a letter of medical necessity from your doctor.
Some of this is what I said earlier. The thing that a lot of us don't understand is that the 2 or 3 days of training a college student gets to become a "professional" fitter, and the devices sold to LBS's to do fittings are trained and sold devices so that the LBS can sell products to you and increase their profitability. This is why is important that you find a cycling club and ask them who they use. These so called "professional" fitters get paid minimum wage and as a incentive they get a commission on the as many products they can push on you.

A non-affiliated studio is great except only the largest of cities have those and they're a lot more expensive.

There is enough stuff on the internet you can dial in your own bike 99% of the time. If your racing then the club you belong to will help you with finding a fitter for max performance, but for the hobbyist if we can get 99% of the performance we're doing great and the other 1% we'll never notice nor need.

How To Fit Your Bicycle - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!
BikeFit - Road Bikes
How to Fit a Bicycle
The Science of Bike Fitting | CyclingTips

Goes without saying that if you're new to the sport and haven't done much in the way of physical activity you should see a doctor and tell him what you want to start doing and have them give you a complete workup including stress test to make sure you're physically fit for this sort activity.
Old 12-31-14, 03:36 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got fitted by a local fitter and for me its 100% worth it. My saddle was raised moved forward and my cleats were shimmed. My stem was switched to a longer one. My lower back pain was gone.

If you're not sure about who to use locally...try and see if you can find a local club and see who they recommend...or an online message board in your area. Talk to the fitter...ask a few questions before you set the appointment.

The benefit of using a good fitter is that you won't need to read endless web posts and spend days or weeks trying to figure out how to setup your bike. It can also help prevent a bunch of bad habits that you'll have to unlearn after years on the bike.