Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Converting a vintage road bike to a gravel bike.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Converting a vintage road bike to a gravel bike.

Old 06-07-22, 07:38 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
put a rack on it, keep as is, ride for shopping, going to library...
once you go into the conversion rabbit hole, it will no longer have the emergency exit... or even an obvious exit.
new wheels for 126 rear (could cold set the rear to 130..) new chainrings - too costly alone, better to get a whole new crankset, new freewheel (or cassette if you get newer wheel set)
new shifters for whatever drivetrain yu decide on, new derailleurs. did you check the headset condition?, tires, cables... housing... etc. brakes ? likely the widest 700c tires you'll be able to fit will be 32mm...
my wager? $500 is the ultimate minimum outcome, if you do all the work, and only rattle can the paint... and get some minimally used parts, double the number for 'new'...
and then you still have old gaspipe with newer stuff...
check out the Poseidon X for $750... a very nice bike at a very nice price - I have one and I don;t cotton to junk... if they have a size to fit... small seems to be sold out, but if a medium will fit - check the geo specs... it looks small, but is a hair tall... horizontal Toptube...
I don;t have any connection with the Co., but it's a great bike for the mostly road rider who might also want a sometimes gravel/everything bike. And is easily upgraded when the itch happens.
... really...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: Just read your comment... "That's pretty close to what I'm going to be doing. There's a 50 mile option instead of the 77 mile ride. The total gain for the 77mi at 9000'. Here's the map. The gain at mile 20-22 looks brutal."
The Fuji will absolutely be a trail of pain and tears for anything like the above...

Last edited by cyclezen; 06-07-22 at 07:49 PM.
Likes For cyclezen: