Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon Seatpost Clamp Bulge?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 03:23 AM
Decadence

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hi, I just made an impulse gumtree purchase of a full-carbon bike (I've never owned a carbon bike before), and just noticed a bit of a bulge where the seatpost clamp goes over the seat tube.

It's sorta hard to see, but it appears the seatpost clamp was overtightened a bit, causing what at first I thought was a crack under the paint. I've been trying to eyeball it to see if there is any visible cracking in the fibres, and it doesn't appear to be cracked.

Is this anything I should be worried about?
Old 10-31-19, 04:27 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I'm no engineer but that doesn't look good
Old 10-31-19, 04:49 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Hard to tell from the angle of your photo, but it looks like the slot in the seat tube tapers in toward the top, which could indicate an undersized seat post. While it doesn't look great, I don't think that a failure at that point will be hazardous. I'd ride it and monitor it for crack progression.
Old 10-31-19, 05:28 AM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
i agree someone used a to narrow seat tube or over tightened it.
if you look closely you can see a horizontal crack below the black and to the left of the cutout. i would worry about that.
Old 10-31-19, 05:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Check that the current seatpost is the correct size.
Old 10-31-19, 09:26 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
To my eyes it's impossible to say for sure with that photo. Could be a crack or just sloppy CF construction. I say take it to a shop where they can give it a good look in the flesh.
Old 10-31-19, 09:41 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Is the separate clamp fully seated, looks like it has drifted up and off the ST a tad. Or maybe the frame was designed for a clamp with a longer skirt. Was the frame purchased through a seller that you can stand across a counter and show the possible problem to? Did the purchase have a return policy?

Unlike metals carbon structures don't typically (ever IME) have a stretch or malleability after the resin has set up. So removing the post should let the ID return to the factory created one (whatever that is). Far easier to judge the post's fit being the intended one compared to a metal frame where the ST binder area could stay reduced in if a smaller then intended post was fitted and tightened. Andy (who will not yet stand up on the soapbox looming on the horizon)
Old 10-31-19, 10:24 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Decadence
Hi, I just made an impulse gumtree purchase of a full-carbon bike (I've never owned a carbon bike before), and just noticed a bit of a bulge where the seatpost clamp goes over the seat tube.

It's sorta hard to see, but it appears the seatpost clamp was overtightened a bit, causing what at first I thought was a crack under the paint. I've been trying to eyeball it to see if there is any visible cracking in the fibres, and it doesn't appear to be cracked.

Is this anything I should be worried about?
Worried enough to chat about it, but not worried enough to disassemble it and look closely.
Old 10-31-19, 05:35 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I wonder if it also has something to do with the seatpost clamp/collar in the wrong orientation? As far as I know the slits are not suppose to be aligned.
Old 10-31-19, 09:51 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
2Cam brings up something important - the clamp slots can pinch.

the clamp you show is too far up on the seat boss. Ideally you'd put the clamp bolt in front so the clamping pressure is evenly distributed.

seat post diameter might be off as well, suggest a measurement.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 11-01-19, 02:46 AM
Decadence

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the replies everybody. I loosened the clamp and found that the seatpost has a small amount of play. It's probably only a millimetre or two but it is visible, and easy to feel when rocking the seatpost side to side.

Anyway, here are some more photos - a front-on shot of the clamp slot as well as the shape of the downtube (and seatpost by extension):

I'm guessing that seatposts on carbon bikes, like those on alu or steel bikes aren't supposed to have even a millimetre of play... does anyone know what type of seatpost I should search for if I want to find one that is the correct size?

Cheers
Old 11-01-19, 03:29 AM
Decadence

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
After some searching, it seems that the bike comes with a proprietary seatpost

Which begs the question - if the seatpost that came stock with the bike isn't the right fit, how might this have come to be?

edit: more pertinently - since it would take considerable time (possibly for naught) waiting to find that specific part to appear for sale, and potentially not even solving the issue (since the seat-tube could be incorrectly sized) are there options for creating a shim?

Last edited by Decadence; 11-01-19 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 06:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Aero shaped post... have fun! That there's a mm or tow of slop isn't a good sign. I take it that the frame was offered without it's specific post? Did the offering list a post or mention this aspect? It is easy to claim the frame/post are not well matched. If the post is the "proper" one then it's a sign of poor design and/or manufacturing, not typical of better brands these days. I'll take the lack of answering my questions about sourcing and such means that this frame wasn't bought from a shop with people that you can go back to.

Shim- Sure but not the best solution, though perhaps the only viable one if the post is the "intended" one. Shim stock is quite available through various industrial suppliers like https://www.mcmaster.com/# There's the time old method of trying soda pop can material but the Al these are made from do tend to tear and not hold up as well as brass or steel.

Good luck. Andy (who's off to the Philly show to see nice bikes and meet friends)
Old 11-01-19, 06:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Providing basic info will save time for you and those hoping to provide you assistance. What is the bike? What seatpost was in the bike when you bought it- brand and size. What seatpost do you think should have come with the bike when new? Otherwise you'll just get 10 more replies of "maybe" this or that.
Old 11-01-19, 06:34 AM
Decadence

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Aero shaped post... have fun! That there's a mm or tow of slop isn't a good sign. I take it that the frame was offered without it's specific post? Did the offering list a post or mention this aspect? It is easy to claim the frame/post are not well matched. If the post is the "proper" one then it's a sign of poor design and/or manufacturing, not typical of better brands these days. I'll take the lack of answering my questions about sourcing and such means that this frame wasn't bought from a shop with people that you can go back to.

Shim- Sure but not the best solution, though perhaps the only viable one if the post is the "intended" one. Shim stock is quite available through various industrial suppliers like https://www.mcmaster.com/# There's the time old method of trying soda pop can material but the Al these are made from do tend to tear and not hold up as well as brass or steel.

Good luck. Andy (who's off to the Philly show to see nice bikes and meet friends)
It was a full bike purchase, not just the frame. The seatpost/seat tube is proprietary (ie. no other seatposts fit besides stock/official ones) so it seems to indicate bad design/manufacturing as you pointed out. It is a GT Expert with upgraded groupset + wheelset, and as mentioned in my original post was purchased through gumtree, so no refunds or returns.

I think I'll junk the frame, sell the forks, groupset and wheels

Last edited by Decadence; 11-01-19 at 06:54 AM.
Likes For Decadence:
Old 11-01-19, 04:00 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
"I think I'll junk the frame, sell the forks, groupset and wheels"

Wise, very wise decision.
Old 11-01-19, 04:20 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Decadence
It was a full bike purchase, not just the frame. The seatpost/seat tube is proprietary (ie. no other seatposts fit besides stock/official ones) so it seems to indicate bad design/manufacturing as you pointed out. It is a GT Expert with upgraded groupset + wheelset, and as mentioned in my original post was purchased through gumtree, so no refunds or returns.

I think I'll junk the frame, sell the forks, groupset and wheels
That's rather drastic and wasteful considering you don't really know whether or not there is an actual problem. If it was made that way, why not just ride it and monitor for problems? [rhetorical question]
Old 11-01-19, 09:14 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Why not try to put a clear epoxy coating (or 2+ coatings) on the seatpost and build up the thickness until there is a snug fit in the seat tube?
Old 11-01-19, 09:35 PM
Decadence

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
That's rather drastic and wasteful considering you don't really know whether or not there is an actual problem. If it was made that way, why not just ride it and monitor for problems? [rhetorical question]
Looking inside the seat tube, it does appear that there is a small crack (about 7mm). I tried securing the seat clamp to the point where the seat post won't move up and down, then tried moving the post side-to-side and I can feel the base of the post hitting the inside of the seat tube...

Maybe I'm worrying about it too much but tbh it feels like a time bomb waiting to go off
Likes For Decadence:
Old 11-01-19, 09:48 PM
Decadence

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Why not try to put a clear epoxy coating (or 2+ coatings) on the seatpost and build up the thickness until there is a snug fit in the seat tube?
I'll try this. Should be better than a shim since it will go the entire length of the seat post instead of just a section of it.