Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Typical stiffness discrepancy between crank arms.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Typical stiffness discrepancy between crank arms.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 10:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Usain Bolt has an asymmetric stride.

-mr. bill
And so does the OP, if we take them to the kinesiology lab and put IREDs on them.
Old 11-01-19, 11:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
A Formula 1 car avoids this design flaw, I suggest you upgrade!

To the OP... Yes, as an engineer, I am sure that I could calculate slightly more flex on the left side crank arm due to having to transmit torque through the crank axle to the drive side. However, that difference in flex is going to be minuscule, something best measured with tools a machinist would use. If you are riding in regular street shoes, I would expect the flex in the sole of your shoe to be larger than in the crank. I would agree with those above that this is a setup or bike fit issue. Our bodies are often fairly asymmetrical whether it is noticed or not.
Looking back at the OP, it looks like he's basing this on how he felt after one long ride. We can really have no idea if his sense of imbalance of use is going to repeat or not. It could just be a one-off event, maybe he slept on the one leg funny.

I thought about this and realized there's all sorts of reasons we don't use our legs symmetrically on long rides that have nothing to do with routine pedalling motion. For example, I just noticed that I always go through the same routine when I start up when the light turns green--my right foot starts on the ground, and my left foot is on the pedal at the highest position. I do two little pushes with my right foot then put it on the pedal while my left foot exerts a big push down on the pedal, then I start spinning to accelerate. No question in my mind that my left leg puts out just a little bit more torque at every stop than the right one. On a very long ride, I might repeat that sequence several dozen times. I haven't noticed any difference in fatigue between the two legs, but it makes me think there are lots of actions we take without thinking that might favor one leg systematically over another.
Old 11-01-19, 11:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
About a year ago first time putting any weight on my leg:

Anyhow, most people are not that extreme obviously. Just keep riding is usually all that needs to be done.

But yes, in some cases you adapt the bike. See adaptive cycling forum here.

But in atrophy cases like mine, pros help. I miss my physical therapist honestly. I had to mindfully make sure that I wasn't cheating with my right leg.

Many crank power meters assume rider symmetry. We aren't. But you don't need a power meter.

The easiest real world way to find out is to ride on a quiet bike path or quiet road. Slight uphill useful, and nobbies help but road tires work too.

WAAAaaahWAAAaaahWAAAaaahWAAAaaah. (Symmetric power application.)
WAAAaaahWAAAaaahWAAAaaahWAAAaaah. (Asymmetric power application.)
WAAAaaahwaaaaaahWAAAaaahwaaaaaah. (Physical therapy to work that left leg.)
WAAAaaaaaaaaaaaahWAAAaaaaaaaaaaaah. (Single-leg training.)

And of course:

WAAAWAAAWAAAWAAAWAAAWAAAWAAAWAAA. (Spin class.)
BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM. (Spin class bass line.)
KEEP IT QUICK COME ON. STARTING TO BURN A LITTLE? (Spin class instructor.)

Finally, some asymmetry is perfectly normal. Effects runners too. Before you think symmetric is obvioulsy better, Usain Bolt has an asymmetric stride.

-mr. bill
I think I'll continue to not know if I have an asymmetric power application. Whatever I'm doing seems to work and isn't causing any problems, so why rock the boat or stop it from rocking or whatever.

Just for fun, I will occasionally make my hand positions asymmetric by putting one on the hood and one on the drop then standing on the pedals. I can accelerate like crazy doing that because the rocking of the bike gives a little leverage boost. Probably do more of it if it wasn't quite so stupid-looking.
Old 11-01-19, 11:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
No, for both questions. I have a regular running/walking gait.
I would have said the same thing my first 60 years. Went to a PT for an unrelated issue. She had me walk away from her the length of the room and back and immediately told my right leg was shorter than the left. Sent my home with 1/2" lifts for all my right shoes. I modified (with her approval - she is an excellent and very strong rider) all my right cycling shoes with a 1/4" plate over the cleats. Life changing. Ride changing.

Ben
Old 11-01-19, 01:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
What are we looking at here? Does a cyclist want a higher number or lower number? What is the number exactly?
Old 11-01-19, 01:17 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What are we looking at here? Does a cyclist want a higher number or lower number? What is the number exactly?
Name of the chart implies that it's the product of the weight and stiffness, but I've never considered that metric when shopping for cranks. Maybe we're supposed to be so dazzled by the BIG RED BARS that we don't ask questions.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-01-19, 01:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Name of the chart implies that it's the product of the weight and stiffness, but I've never considered that metric when shopping for cranks. Maybe we're supposed to be so dazzled by the BIG RED BARS that we don't ask questions.
Might have been helpful if they actually labelled the units on the Y axis. As it is, I can't figure out if this is supposed to mean that higher values equal more flex per weight or more weight per flex.

Wrong kind of bar to be really distracting. Pie charts make me hungry.
Old 11-01-19, 01:52 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Might have been helpful if they actually labelled the units on the Y axis. As it is, I can't figure out if this is supposed to mean that higher values equal more flex per weight or more weight per flex.

Wrong kind of bar to be really distracting. Pie charts make me hungry.
Mmm, pie...

In all seriousness, I think the chart is supposed to be the stiffness to weight ratio (where a higher figure would be desirable), and it was just done by an idiot. Bugs me when people don't know how to use < or > either.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-01-19, 03:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Afterwards, I could feel that my right leg was considerably more fatigued than my left. I narrowed the cause of this discrepancy down to the fact that the crank arm of the right side of the bike has a bar (or pin) that drives the spider/chainring.
OK, clearly OP was incorrect in his theory but I'd still like to know how he came up with it. That he "narrowed it down" implies he put some thought into it.
Old 11-01-19, 05:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I don't know what caused your sore leg, but it sure as hell wasn't the crankset.
Old 11-01-19, 06:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
One thing can happen: Something else in your life might be asymmetrical, ranging from driving a car to how you sit at a computer. Then the strenuous exercise exacerbates the imbalance and you get pain on one side. I find that whenever I get a "crick" or pain from riding, it's always on one side, but the side is unpredictable. The exception is neck pain related to years of computer use.
Old 11-02-19, 01:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So unless op returns, this thread is officially absurd. I think we've narrowed the cause down to everything in the world that isn't the crank arms.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-02-19, 04:17 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I totally agree with this.

But just to be sure, look at the center of the flexier arm, and make sure there is a large-headed bolt inside the hole in the center. Give the bolt a wiggle and see if it seems tight. If so, good. If not, it needs to be tightened. If you've never done this take it to a bike shop and ask them to torque it correctly.

Also check the bolts that hold the rings onto the spider. There needs to be five for the middle ring and five in the inner ring, and they all need to be tight. Ask a shop to tighten them correctly, if there is any question.

They SHOULD not loosen, but it can happen if they have not been disturbed since leaving the factory.

On the muscular front, take some more frequent rides of 20 miles or so, then go back to your 53 mile route. The multiple shorter rides should be toning up your legs.
Old 11-02-19, 06:58 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
the left will always be a problem, because the right does all the work.