Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1949 Raleigh Popular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1949 Raleigh Popular

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 10:50 PM
brianhamp

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 81 Posts
1949 Raleigh Popular

Here are some pictures of the progress so far on my 1949 Raleigh Popular.
I didn't install the new tires and tubes because the others are holding air and I won't be riding it till spring of next year. Will install them then.
Needs rear brake pads as the ones I ordered are the wrong size.
Dyno is working however the lights do not work. Front light is missing a bulb and the rear one is just not working.
Rear Sturmey Archer AW is serviced and shifting very smooth. When I opened it it was very clean for its age.
Dyno is cleaned up and serviced and working great.
New Brooks seat I had laying around because I really dont like it. Will be installing a B17 soon.
There seems to be bolt holes on the frame for a full chain case so I will order one and see how it goes.
Removed the silver paint someone had painted it prior to me owning it. That is why there are no decals as they didn't handle all the rubbing to remove old silver paint.
28 x 1 1/2 Dunlop wheels. Made in England. Some rust spots I can't seen to removed. 32 spoke front and 40 spoke rear wheels.

Before picture

Likes For brianhamp:
Old 11-04-19, 06:01 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Just fantastic.

That B.66 (?) doesn't look bad at all though; certainly more suiting to the bike than a B.17. Try tilting the nose up until the rear of the saddle is level with the top tube, like the original saddle (speaking of which, if it isn't torn, keep it). That should solve the initial comfort issue.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-04-19, 06:28 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
You're doing a great job on this. Wonderful that you could restore the original finish as well as you did. Looks very good. All these bikes came with a lug on the chain stay for an enclosed chain case, but there's no doubt the hockey stick version here is original. They called it "attractive" in the catalogs. The stainless spokes, trigger shifter and cable is original too. Nice. Raleigh did offer this 22 inch frame version in the US in the late 70s, but it's rare in older bikes. Here in the US anyway. As you can see in the catalog photos this bike originally had short (about 3 1/2" long) grips. They were either natural rubber or celluloid and very few survive today. Grips are always a problem on these early bikes, but the (R) grips sold on eBay are a very good reproduction of Raleigh grips from the late 50s and are the best new option I know of. Your bike would originally had dual quill rubber block pedals. Hard to find, but occasionally show up on eBay. I'll find a picture for you. These are from my 51 Rudge. Yours would have been the same except the blocks would have had the Raleigh logo.

Old 11-04-19, 07:26 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Wow. That's come along very nicely. Can you post a picture of one of the correct brake pads? I have a set of 4 NOS ones that I got about 10 years back for a rod brake project that I never got to, and which I no longer have. If I have proper ones, they're yours for the price of your address.
Old 11-04-19, 07:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is a fantastic job.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 11-04-19, 09:39 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Thank you. It was alot of work removing the silver paint. I dont think I have any finger prints left, wore them off rubbing the silver paint off.. I am just trying to keep it "Real". I dont want to change too much!! I have accepted it wont look brand new again.
Do you refub bikes at all? If you do it would be nice to see some pictures if you dont mind sharing them....Maybe I can pick up some more ideas of my next project.
Thanks Brian
I think a lot of us refurbish bikes but you took on a big job here and did a great job. My last 2 refurb jobs were an early 70s Motobecane Grand Record and an early 70s Fuji Finest:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ld-thread.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ld-thread.html

I really like 70s era racing bikes because they typically have generous room for 32c tires (the Moto is especially generous since it has 27 x 1 and 1/4 tires). I have two in the build queue for next spring: a reynolds 531 Libertas and a Mercier 300.

I am also a fan of vintage mountain bikes. They're comfy to ride just like that Raleigh you refurbished only with more gears and fatter tires.
Old 11-04-19, 10:13 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Thank you. It has been alot of work.. I will tinker with it through out the winter. It is getting cold here so I wanted to at least get the parts back together so they don't get lost..

Here are a couple of brake pads pictures for the 1949 Raleigh. If you require better photos I will try to get more. Thank you
Brian
If these look like they'll work, pm me your address.

Old 11-04-19, 10:13 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Absolutely beautiful. Nice work.

And thanks for the kick in the butt reminding me that I need to get back on the 1935-ish Armstrong ladies frame real soon now. Military Thru the Ages is only five months away.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 11-04-19, 10:16 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...if you look arouind online, you can probably find some appropriate transfers for that bicycle. Here's the H Lloyd site, where they have some 40's Raleigh transfers for restoration. Here are some photos of a 1949 Tourist model, to give you some idea of the lettering style on the down tube and chain guard lettering. There are also other places that sell reproduction bicycle decals, and the Popular appears to have sported only a few of them. There's also an online version of the 1948 Raleigh Catalog, which is handy. One of the members here keeps it up and running.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-04-19, 10:17 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Good morning. I am glad you like my Work in Progress!! You always have such great info on these old bikes... I really like reading your posts.
This is a 22 inch frame. I just measured, pics below in case I measured wrong.
I was looking at pedals online and found some however very pricey..Shipping to Canada is expensive. I have some others, they might be a better choice for this bike,Please let me know what you think. Pics below...
The grips pictured were on the bike so I left them on, Should I look for the "R" ones for this bike?
Thanks again for all your help to you and everyone on this forum....

PS... I am noticing the bike is Black in some places... Did I remove the dark green in spots?Black primer

I cant get back up!!
I envy you that you found a model in a 22" frame. My '72 Tourist (which has turned into my daily ride, leaving all those fancy road bikes in the barn ignored) is the usual 24" which works - barely - but always has me apprehensive when it comes to fast panic stops.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-04-19, 11:00 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
I know its old however it gives me something to do...
...everyone needs something to do.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-04-19, 11:41 AM
sykerocker 

I am envious every time I look at bikes on this forum. I hope you find your 22 inch Raleigh... This bike rides and functions way better than my 1974 Raleigh Superbe. "Like Butter"... I could very easily make this my daily rider....
Thanks Brian
I've got the same situation. My other daily commuter is a 69 Sprite (S5 hub), 23-1/2" frame (my proper size). I try to split the riding equally between them, but find that the Tourist gets picked way more often.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 11-04-19, 06:11 PM
BigChief 

I even noticed the rear hub seems more robust.. Shifts so smooth...The hub is dated 1949 and when I opened it for servicing it was clean, Dry but clean... I have opened hubs from the 70's that were in rough condition..
Once it warms up here and I get the finishing touches done I will ride it more...
Thanks Brian
Yes, those early post war AW hubs are the best quality. Should you want to change the overall gearing you could either use a threaded cog and set the chain line with shims or replace the driver with a more modern splined type so you could use the variety of choices you have with dished spline cogs. I have a 22 tooth cog on my 1970 DL-1. I replaced the threaded driver on my 51 Rudge with a splined type for that reason. The best new rubber block I know of are the MKS 3000. Those are hard to find, but the 3000R with reflectors are all easily available. They at least have the diamond shaped end plates. Personally, I never liked the blocky rectangular end plates on the 70s Raleigh reflector pedals.
Here's an eBay ad for early dual quill Raleigh pedals. 60 bucks...yikes, but I figured you would like to see what the originals looked like.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RAL...cAAOSwkjJcPKOP
Old 11-04-19, 06:49 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Thanks Kurt. So do you think I should leave the B66 on there? At first I really didn't like it. I bought it for another bike I have and didn't like it on that one either. It is starting to look better each time I look at it on this one. I will adjust it like you said and maybe over the winter I will like it more!!
Thanks again for all your info...
Definitely leave the B66 there. I'd even put the original back if it's not torn; it might clean up rather nice with a light coat of saddle soap.

I can't imagine tolerating a B66 tilted down that much. Here's how mine sits on my '51 Sports.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-04-19, 08:58 PM
BigChief 

Notice Kurt is using MKS touring pedals on his vintage Sports. I also use these on any bike I put serious mileage on. Maybe not period correct, but they work great and look fine in my opinion. Here they are on my DL-1 daily rider.

Old 11-05-19, 05:52 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Kurt I will tilt it like yours. I actually took it for a ride today with only front brakes so not too far and the seat didn't feel right.Your bike makes mine look like a Rat Rod bike... I wish I could have saved my paint finish better. The paint is the only thing that bothers me about this bike. It rides and functions very well but it doesn't have the curb appeal.Maybe I will get used to it over the winter...
You haven't seen mine up close. Enjoy the harlequin effect of the black enamel mixed with the original green - makes it interesting.

Originally Posted by BigChief
Notice Kurt is using MKS touring pedals on his vintage Sports. I also use these on any bike I put serious mileage on. Maybe not period correct, but they work great and look fine in my opinion. Here they are on my DL-1 daily rider.
Agreed, but just be careful if you like to pedal through tight turns and have a low bottom bracket. They're wide and can scrape.

-Kurt