Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Salsa Marrakesh or Surly LHT?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Salsa Marrakesh or Surly LHT?

Old 12-21-18, 12:28 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you like the LHT

But I think the LHT is just overkill. Not just the ones you mentioned: the down shifters, pump peg etc, but the ENTIRE bike is overkill. Its designed like a tank and most days how often do we actually need to haul 40 pounds?

Give me my 25 pound Fuji touring anyway day of the week!
Old 12-21-18, 05:21 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
And the most obtrusive is the dropouts. The tubes (fork and rear) leading to the dropouts do not taper at all, instead they cut out the tube and place a reinforcement at the end of the tube .
With racks and fenders, the quick release lever on the wheel has practically no space. I have found 1 position , but even that one is not perfect.
Anyone have a solution for this?
Here you go, Marcus.

https://halo-usa.com/products/hl9015...xoCK_EQAvD_BwE
Old 12-21-18, 05:55 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
But I think the LHT is just overkill. Not just the ones you mentioned: the down shifters, pump peg etc, but the ENTIRE bike is overkill. Its designed like a tank and most days how often do we actually need to haul 40 pounds?

Give me my 25 pound Fuji touring anyway day of the week!
I guess that is why Surly have bikes like the Straggler/Cross Check.
Old 12-21-18, 09:33 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Thanks. Looks like a viable solution, but still, didn't think I would need one
Old 12-21-18, 02:18 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Thanks. Looks like a viable solution, but still, didn't think I would need one
I've used these "slow release" skewers for more than a decade with all my bikes, and as you have learned they are particularly well suited for bikes with mounted racks. Most slow release skewers use a 5mm hex wrench, but there are some security versions which require a unique fitting or tool to remove, to discourage wheel (and saddle+seatpost) theft. Examples which I believe are sold in UK shops:

https://deltacycle.com/Wheel-Security

https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/wh...l#/spare_key-_

WRT LHT's pump peg, you can still buy frame pumps, Zefal HPX and Silca for example. I have a 28-year-old Zefal pump in good condition which fits my Disk Trucker frame, but I no longer use it. Frame pumps have fallen in popularity even in the touring bike niche in favor of smaller, lighter pumps, some of which can be foot-anchored to the ground for better stability and less likelihood of tube stem damage. Here is an excellent review of the two most commonly used and recommended pumps on this subforum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...html?styleid=8

Last edited by seeker333; 12-21-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 04:41 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I have a current model Topeak frame pump and love it. I’ve had it for probably five years now with zero issues and have used it quite a bit. I believe I did unscrew the end and apply some grease to the o-ring once, taking all of one minute worth of work. I think it’s nicer to air up a tire with than one of the really small pumps.
Old 12-22-18, 10:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts

Any suggestions?
Finished assembly, I like a lot of things about the LHT frame, but a couple of things that I do not like.
First is the down tube lever mounts. Considering that 10% of riders might still use these shift levers, 90% do not. If Surly does not want to change the design, at least include some cable stoppers with the frame.
The often mentioned air pump nipple that could hold one if, you happen to have a pump from the 70s
And the most obtrusive is the dropouts. The tubes (fork and rear) leading to the dropouts do not taper at all, instead they cut out the tube and place a reinforcement at the end of the tube .
With racks and fenders, the quick release lever on the wheel has practically no space. I have found 1 position , but even that one is not perfect.
Oh, and one more thing: The foam wrapping they use to package the individual tubing actually scratches the surface of the finish

Cheers
Turn your quick release 180°. The flat part of the skewer will nestle in with the bolt on the fender. As an added bonus, you’ll find that the skewer is easier to open.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-22-18, 11:24 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts

Any suggestions?
Finished assembly, I like a lot of things about the LHT frame, but a couple of things that I do not like.
First is the down tube lever mounts. Considering that 10% of riders might still use these shift levers, 90% do not. If Surly does not want to change the design, at least include some cable stoppers with the frame.
The often mentioned air pump nipple that could hold one if, you happen to have a pump from the 70s
Oh, and one more thing: The foam wrapping they use to package the individual tubing actually scratches the surface of the finish

Cheers
Why are you positioning the lever so it is pointing down? Turn it so it is pointing up. It is less likely to be hit by something and accidentally open. Many of us like the downtube mounts, if only for use if they have one of the regular shifters fail on tour. As for the pump peg, how is it an issue? If you don't want to use it, it is hardly in the way of anything. Enjoy your bike.
Old 12-22-18, 11:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Re install rack ... 2 tabs on rack , front tab to rear fork tip eyelet , mudguards mount on rack rear tab ..

front of fork tip eyelet not used ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-22-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-22-18, 12:23 PM
seeker333
-

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Re install rack ...
Good eye. From https://ortliebusa.com/product/tara-lowrider/ :

Likes For seeker333:
Old 12-22-18, 01:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I am a summer Shop mechanic, at the western end of a lot of bike tours and see many people's winging the rack installations..

& Many bikes don't have double eyelet fork dropouts,, so rather logical to not design a product for too small a market segment ...

Old 12-22-18, 11:35 PM
MarcusT

Re install rack ... 2 tabs on rack , front tab to rear fork tip eyelet , mudguards mount on rack rear tab ..

front of fork tip eyelet not used ..

Give it a try. Thanks!
Old 12-23-18, 11:08 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
Just want to second the hex skewers. They weigh less and slow down a thief for a couple of seconds. Plus i love pump pegs. A full size zefal frame pump makes me happy. I also dig barcons so the shifter mounts on the downtube make sense to me.

Having said all that, i ride a bob jackson world tourist, but i think the lht is a hell of a frameset.
Old 12-24-18, 12:08 AM
MarcusT

I am a summer Shop mechanic, at the western end of a lot of bike tours and see many people's winging the rack installations..

& Many bikes don't have double eyelet fork dropouts,, so rather logical to not design a product for too small a market segment ...

Great! It solved the lever problem, but created another lesser problem. Moving the rack to the rear bolt, the front support that joins the 2 sides now how has about 1cm (1/2") clearance from the tire. Which is fine for a 38c tire, but worrying if I go up in size.
I may have to find another solution.
Thinking about attaching the fender supports to the inside of the dropouts. Will need to find a flat head screw for that. Or just change fenders to the light weight style that only uses the upper bolt for installation (quick install).
Good thing it is winter and have time to work this out.
Old 12-24-18, 01:17 PM
seeker333
-

Great! It solved the lever problem, but created another lesser problem. Moving the rack to the rear bolt, the front support that joins the 2 sides now how has about 1cm (1/2") clearance from the tire. Which is fine for a 38c tire, but worrying if I go up in size. I may have to find another solution. Thinking about attaching the fender supports to the inside of the dropouts. Will need to find a flat head screw for that. Or just change fenders to the light weight style that only uses the upper bolt for installation (quick install). Good thing it is winter and have time to work this out.
LHT is rated for 42mm tires with fenders (45mm without), so don't worry about the 10mm gap at rack hoop, since you should have a similar limiting gap at fork crown and chainstays.

Nearly every fender (and rack) installation is a "custom" job requiring trial and error fitting, some bending, an assortment of unusual fasteners and spacers and resourcefulness on the part of the installer. In other words, it's almost always a surprising PITA to do, so take your time and get it right. Use blue Loctite or similar threadlocker to keep fasteners from loosening and falling out down the road - and carry spare fender & rack fasteners just in case the Loctite fails.
Old 11-05-19, 09:26 PM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please elaborate: Euro bike

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Neither.
Find a euro bike.
Please elaborate: Euro bike. Why and what brand and model? Thanks in advance
Old 11-05-19, 11:53 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by meyers66
Please elaborate: Euro bike. Why and what brand and model? Thanks in advance
I did a fair bit of research into European brands and There are several, but few are dedicated full time tourers.
Cube, Diamont and Radon make numerous models, but I would not consider them "full tourers"
Fahrradmanufaktur
Cinelli has the Hobootleg
Bombtrack
Koga
I considered them all, but I guess I wanted to build a bike from the frame and the LHT was always the bike that said "Tour the world"
Old 11-06-19, 02:48 AM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'd never heard of Fahrradmanufaktur. I kind of want one of these just so I can have Fahrradmanufaktur painted on the downtube. What a name...
Likes For 3speed:
Old 11-06-19, 06:11 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I did a fair bit of research into European brands and There are several, but few are dedicated full time tourers.
Cube, Diamont and Radon make numerous models, but I would not consider them "full tourers"
Fahrradmanufaktur
Cinelli has the Hobootleg
Bombtrack
Koga
I considered them all, but I guess I wanted to build a bike from the frame and the LHT was always the bike that said "Tour the world"
A high-quality build on a Disc Trucker frameset would rival a Koga for half the price. I'd love to have a Koga, but danged expensive they are! If I got into world touring, I'd have to have one like Alee Denham's.
Old 11-06-19, 06:23 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
If we are going to throw euro tourers around then ... Santos :-)
Old 11-06-19, 11:27 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
If we are going to throw euro tourers around then ... Santos :-)
Nice bikes, but that price: Ouch!
Old 11-06-19, 11:29 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by 3speed
I'd never heard of Fahrradmanufaktur. I kind of want one of these just so I can have Fahrradmanufaktur painted on the downtube. What a name...
It literally translates to "Bike Manufacturer"
Old 11-08-19, 06:00 PM
ppoollppoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Surly's IMO are incredibly overpriced for what they offer, rarely coming stock with racks or fenders.
Likes For ppoollppoo:
Old 11-08-19, 09:13 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
We sell both in our shop and in almost every case of selling one against the other we erecommend the Marakesh as it is a bit livelier and more fun to ride when you are not touring. The LHT has a reputation as bombproof, but really so is the Marakesh and it is a bit more modern and more fun to ride. Both can be taken around the world multiple times without problems (not just the LHT as everyone thinks!)