Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A road called Skyline

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A road called Skyline

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 01:23 PM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
I live very close to Skyline Dr Va / Blue Ridge parkway. Above Skyline /Blue Ridge parkway in this area are several gravel roads most don't know about. Lots of climbing. Beautiful roads. I'm hitting the Blue ridge parkway tonight! Here are some pics you won't see everyday- first is a back way to top of mtn on fireroad. It is hard to get a feel for how steep this is. To put it into perspective, the bike is pointing straight up. I am standing below the bike. If you miss one pedal stroke, you are toast. :

Several more fireroads above skyline. Up here, you look down to the parkway.

Finally, a pic from the south end of skyline, overlooking rockfish valley during a forest fire several years back. The smoke over the valley gives the sky a distinct look.

Last edited by dualresponse; 11-10-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 01:39 PM
dualresponse

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts

This got me looking through some old pics- so I'll post some more. They aren't doing any good sitting on a memory card! The first pic/ someone has written "Sweat Smells Good" :

Last edited by dualresponse; 11-10-19 at 01:52 PM.
Likes For dualresponse:
Old 11-10-19, 04:57 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
^ Making me homesick
Old 11-10-19, 09:50 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Skyline Drive, Laguna Beach, CA
Goes from basically sea level to about 700 ft elevation in under a mile.
Great view of the ocean and islands when descending.
Old 11-11-19, 08:36 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
When I first moved to the Bay Area in 1980 I lived in San Jose. My house in Albuquerque, NM where I spent the 70's was at 5,600'. It was nothing to ride up to Sandia Crest, altitude 10,600'.

I used to ride up to Skyline Drive from San Jose via Hwy 17 to Hwy 9 then down to Saratoga. The altitude of Skyline Dr. on the peninsula is about 2,000' feet. Back then, coming down to the thick air at sea level made climbing up to Skyline easy!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 11-11-19, 08:56 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
One of the coolest things about Hiway 35 / Skyline Blvd in the Bay Area is the place between Hiway 92 and Kings Mountain rd where you can see the bay on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other. BITD the Sequoia Century followed this route. Today it's dicey cycling as noted above, there's no shoulders and lots of traffic on weekends.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 11-11-19, 09:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
There is a Skyline Drive in Morristown, NJ. It's a big-ish hill with a couple of switchbacks and scenic views. I think I rode up it once when I lived in New Jersey. I just looked for images, and they are all from realtors.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-11-19, 09:51 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
There is a Skyline Dr in Utah too....but it is a 4x4 road.

Old 11-13-19, 03:17 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Skyline drive in Delaware Water Gap NRA off Old Mine Road in Sandyston, NJ. Good views to the East and dead ends at Crater Lake (great spot for a swim).
Old 11-13-19, 03:22 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
There is a Skyline Dr in Utah too....but it is a 4x4 road.
There's also a Skyline High School in Utah. My old alma mater.
Not exactly a drive tho'
Old 11-13-19, 05:58 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by 73StellaSX76
I rode a couple segments of the Peninsula 35/Skyline Rd today as part of a loop through Pescadero, albeit on a more modern bike. I PRd from KMR to 92 it was such a calm and beautiful day. Much of the road surface quality of this Skyline has suffered comparatively in the last 10-15 years due to the rough chipseal they’ve put down. Hwy 84 down into la Honda on the other hand is so smooth in comparison.
Chipseal that they put down on Hwy 35, in the mountains, every few years actually feel dangerous when you ride a motorcycle on it. I can actually feel my tires slip, quiet a bit, on most sharp turns with the new chipseal. Very disconcerting and frankly, butt clenching, when it happens. It eventually improves when the oil in the chipseal start to dry out on the surface, but that could take up to a year to happen...

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-13-19 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-15-19, 04:02 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
I have ridden the Portland one dozens of times and the SF peninsula one maybe a half dozen. Funny story, how I learned about motorcycle tribalism. 1977 or 78, I'm. riding up La Honda road from SF airport on my way back to LA. It's a Sunday morning. About halfway up I start getting passed by dozens and dozens of motorcycles. I get to the market/tavern kind of establishment at the top of the climb and the huge parking lot has the riders of different kinds of motorcycles congregating in different corners of the lot--hog riders one place, UK riders on their Triumphs and Nortons in another, Japanese and Italian bike riders in yet different locations. Funny, and more tribal than any group of bicyclists I've met before or since!
Old 11-16-19, 12:01 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
I have ridden the Portland one dozens of times and the SF peninsula one maybe a half dozen. Funny story, how I learned about motorcycle tribalism. 1977 or 78, I'm. riding up La Honda road from SF airport on my way back to LA. It's a Sunday morning. About halfway up I start getting passed by dozens and dozens of motorcycles. I get to the market/tavern kind of establishment at the top of the climb and the huge parking lot has the riders of different kinds of motorcycles congregating in different corners of the lot--hog riders one place, UK riders on their Triumphs and Nortons in another, Japanese and Italian bike riders in yet different locations. Funny, and more tribal than any group of bicyclists I've met before or since!
That would be Alice's restaurant.

Old 11-16-19, 01:38 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Just in the last decade, the number of motorcyclists going up to and hanging out at Alice's had shrunk down considerably. It seem like the millenials and younger generations are just not as interested in riding motorcycles as much as we were at their age.
Last few times I rode my motorcycle up to Alice's on a weekend, in the middle of the day, there was barely a dozen bikes up there, when back in the mid to late 90's, the parking lot will be full with groups of riders constantly coming in and out of the parking lot. And the CHP regularly circulating through the lot, waiting to pounce on any hooligans that dare to hoon on their bikes.
As for "tribalism" at Alice's, yes, the motorcyclists tended to park as a group amongst each other, based on what they ride, but as soon as they get off their bikes, most circulate all around the lot to admire all the differen types of motorcycles and talk to their owners about their bikes.
The only ones that are "hesitant" in mixing in with the crowd were the Harley riders. Not all, but a lot of them never seem to lose their negative attitudes against motorcycles that are not "Murrican".......
Old 11-16-19, 07:57 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
When I was stationed at NAS Alameda in the 80s, we would frequently ride on the East Bay Skyline. It is slightly downhill going north, so we would enter from the south. Our hard climb up the side was rewarded with a long winding decent back into Oakland.
Old 11-18-19, 09:42 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Just in the last decade, the number of motorcyclists going up to and hanging out at Alice's had shrunk down considerably. It seem like the millenials and younger generations are just not as interested in riding motorcycles as much as we were at their age.
Last few times I rode my motorcycle up to Alice's on a weekend, in the middle of the day, there was barely a dozen bikes up there, when back in the mid to late 90's, the parking lot will be full with groups of riders constantly coming in and out of the parking lot. And the CHP regularly circulating through the lot, waiting to pounce on any hooligans that dare to hoon on their bikes.
As for "tribalism" at Alice's, yes, the motorcyclists tended to park as a group amongst each other, based on what they ride, but as soon as they get off their bikes, most circulate all around the lot to admire all the differen types of motorcycles and talk to their owners about their bikes.
The only ones that are "hesitant" in mixing in with the crowd were the Harley riders. Not all, but a lot of them never seem to lose their negative attitudes against motorcycles that are not "Murrican".......
Yeah, I find the Harley people and their sense of separateness from other bikers hilarious and I don't even ride a motorcycle. But maybe the Honda and Ducati riders make fun of them for all those HD dog collars, etc.
Old 11-18-19, 04:07 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Hunh. There's a Skyline Dr. in Eureka, Ca. I did not know that. It's just a little loop off of Humboldt Hill Rd. and nothing spectacular. Now Fickle Hill Rd., that's the kind of road you guys are talking about.
Old 11-18-19, 10:15 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
Yeah, I find the Harley people and their sense of separateness from other bikers hilarious and I don't even ride a motorcycle. But maybe the Honda and Ducati riders make fun of them for all those HD dog collars, etc.
First: Yeah Oakland Skyline! #1 ! it is beautiful up there, especially recently if you catch the fog and the sunset just right.

second: No one makes fun of the Harley riders (to their face) unless you want your *&^* messed up.