Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best lock for my kid borrowing my Bianchi at college?:cry:

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best lock for my kid borrowing my Bianchi at college?:cry:

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 10:38 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Thanks for all the advice. Believe it or not, this Bianchi was $100 because it was on CL in the sticks. But of course I love it.
My diabolical plan, is to let him ride it for a little bit, whet the appetite so to speak, and then let him PICK OUT HIS OWN BIKE <<<< genius move.

as long it doesn't get stolen.

It is kept inside a house to ride to campus for Formula SAE meetings mostly.
Oh man, he's an engineer. I'm so sorry. I'll pray for you.

signed,
An engineer
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 11-08-19, 10:46 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
As someone who had to try and take down an evolution that I broke a key in, believe me when I say there is no attack that is effective other than an angle grinder. No leverage attack works...the freezing approach doesn't work...it's two sided, like the NYr, so a hammer isn't doing it. The only way through it is an angle grinder...which means, functionally, it's the same as the NYr. If there is an angle grinder, there's nothing you can do.

I worked on one for several hours using a generator powered saw (cut through 5 blades), a sledge hammer, liquid nitrogen, a car jack... As I was working on it, a guy who ID'd himself as a former bike thief said forget it...nothing works. I eventually got through it with the power saw, but it took HOURS, and a lot of money in saw blades.

I don't know about other cities, but angle grinders are theoretical in my city...it doesn't happen, and thieves don't have them. The ones with an angle grinder would be targeting motorcycles. I've spoken to quite a few shop owners, and police, and none of them can name a specific angle grinder attack wave in Philly. The thefts that happen are thefts of opportunity...the majority hit cable locks, communal areas of apartments, patios, and garages. There isn't an organized team of crack bike thieves with expensive power tools.

In years of being in a FB stolen bike group, I only once saw someone who had his bike stolen locked with a ubolt...he'd parked it near a construction site, and a guy asked the construction people to cut the lock, claiming he'd lost the key. They did.

I've mentioned this before...my Motorola Merckx, with Campy Record/Delta brakes...was once locked outside on a campus for 3 months, with a lower level ubolt that's no where near as good as the Evolution...and it survived.
Old 11-08-19, 10:49 AM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl

4. Uglify and illuminate the bike with reflective stickers, reflective tape, stuff that will come off without harming the paint.

5. Helmet, lights and reflective. Getting hit by a car is way worse than losing a bike.
#4 is why I say add gears... youth deterrent. Maybe plastidip uglification if its a particularly theft prone area. And I 2nd the #5 too!
Old 11-08-19, 11:14 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

The bike I tend to use as a lock it up has Huffy decals...and looks plain jane grey. An experienced eye knows, but an experienced eye also doesn't put that much value on old titanium most of the time.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 11-08-19, 11:41 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
How expensive is this bike, really? $200 to $300?

If the kid is careful with it, then it should be fine. Always use a good lock, in house at night, etc, never left out just because, etc.
Old 11-08-19, 11:48 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You want the heaviest U-lock you can find, combined with a chain that captures both wheels. If you can make the system heavy enough, your kid won't want to ride the bike - problem solved.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 11-08-19, 11:56 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 103 Posts
I purchased a Rekord Bianchi in 1973. Frame details are similar to the one in the OP's pic.

It's Celeste, which is a magnet for thieves. Second, locks are only going to keep honest people away. Since you only have about $100 into it, I'd just opt for one of the Kryptonite plastic coated cable type locks.
Old 11-08-19, 12:03 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by satbuilder
I purchased a Rekord Bianchi in 1973. Frame details are similar to the one in the OP's pic.

It's Celeste, which is a magnet for thieves. Second, locks are only going to keep honest people away. Since you only have about $100 into it, I'd just opt for one of the Kryptonite plastic coated cable type locks.
Respectfully disagree...those can be cut with a large clippers, and you are making the bike the target. I think there's a magnitude of difference between even a medium U-lock and a cable. Cable bikes are the target.
Old 11-08-19, 12:30 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Oh man, he's an engineer. I'm so sorry. I'll pray for you.

signed,
An engineer
My oldest kid is a Sound Engineer / Musician. I am not sure there is enough prayer in this lifetime for that stressful worrying. (I worry, he doesn't, which make me worry)
Old 11-08-19, 12:54 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
My oldest kid is a Sound Engineer / Musician. I am not sure there is enough prayer in this lifetime for that stressful worrying. (I worry, he doesn't, which make me worry)
I love it, just wish I didn't, life would have been so much easier otherwise. I turned hubs and a-arms for formula SAE for 3 years in college in the machine shop, it can be fun but motorheads aren't always great to deal with.

Worst part, I'm raising 2 boys myself. They have "the knack".

Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 11-08-19, 01:20 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl

1. If he is in the dorm, there may be secure bike parking. U lock and chain, leave it on the bike rack. Better yet, figure out a way to bring it inside.

2. For around campus or town, U lock and cable.

3. Lesson in how to lock up a bike. U lock through seatstays and wheel, cable through front wheel and U lock. Make him show you. Make him text you photos of his lockup.

4. Uglify and illuminate the bike with reflective stickers, reflective tape, stuff that will come off without harming the paint.

5. Helmet, lights and reflective. Getting hit by a car is way worse than losing a bike.

6. Never leave bike locked up outside overnight. Doesn't matter how well it is locked up then.
All good advice. BITD I took my Masi to college, but I never locked it up, not once. A few years later I bought an old beat up PX10 for riding around town. It got uglified with stickers and cotton tape around the TT, etc. At the time no one could tell a PX10 from a then ubiquitous UO8. It was locked up during day time trips only, with a U lock, never overnight.

Honestly I think that bike is a bit too nice for the purpose, at least if it's going to live outside. It's just about right if it will come into the dorm room or apt at night. Otherwise, something more disposable is in order. Consider a lower middle end 80s road bike with flat bars and ugly stickers, an old MTB or hybrid, a 3 speed, or a cruiser.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 11-08-19, 02:25 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Respectfully disagree...those can be cut with a large clippers, and you are making the bike the target. I think there's a magnitude of difference between even a medium U-lock and a cable. Cable bikes are the target.
Well, you are probably correct. I haven't locked a bike up in years.

I had one of those U-locks once. is there a way they can lock frame and wheels now?
Old 11-08-19, 04:32 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
DON'T !! Buy a $75 hybrid off CraigsList.
Kid who quit riding bikes when he got his drivers license asks Dad for "a bike to use 'cause I have to walk so far at school"

Thrilled Dad cleans up the flipflop Bianchi, and presents to child.

Kid says " I want to buy my own lock".

Dad thinks to himself "Not my first rodeo", and logs onto BikeForums to ask what kind of lock to buy for Kid.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-11-19, 01:01 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Beater bike is a great idea

#1 reason for buying a beater bike instead is that it rains and snows in Reno. The fastest way to turn a nice looking bike into a piece of trash is to use it every day in all kinds of weather, especially when there is salt on the roads. When I lived in the Midwest and owned a nice Motobecane Le Champion I also had a very old Fiorelli 10 speed to ride to the U when the weather was bad. If it got stolen I would have been angry but not quite as angry at losing the Motobecane.

#2 reason is that bike theft on most campuses is way too common. Here's a story about bike theft at UW Madison from a few years ago: https://uwpd.wisc.edu/news/uwpd-seiz...likely-stolen/ I remember the summer student who came from Iowa to the UNLV campus a few years ago. He locked the bike outside and within 3 days it was gone.
Old 11-11-19, 01:06 PM
Captain Insano

Bikes: Alchemy Helios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Crime of Convenience

All three of my sons went to UCSB, which is the stolen bike capitol of the known universe. All three boys had bikes stolen, and in almost every case it was a crime of convenience - they were stolen from campus bike racks, backyards, front yards, pretty much anywhere they were outside and unattended. My middle son had the best solution - he found an old steel frame, and put together a Frankenstein bike using parts he found on Craigslist. The whole thing cost him maybe $40. It was not pretty, but it moved, and even the most prolific thrives weren’t tempted to steal it. My recommendation for your son is to get the ugliest (but functional) bike he can find, and leave the Bianchi at home.
Old 11-11-19, 01:07 PM
Chainsnapper.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell him to buy his own bike. He is an adult, afterall. No reason to ride a bike worth more than $50. Spray painting it multiple colors with a blind fold on is a good idea too.
Old 11-11-19, 01:31 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by satbuilder
Well, you are probably correct. I haven't locked a bike up in years.

I had one of those U-locks once. is there a way they can lock frame and wheels now?
Depending on the bike, and what you're locking to, the long shackle Evolution can usually get both wheels.
Old 11-11-19, 02:12 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Chainsnapper.
Tell him to buy his own bike. He is an adult, afterall. No reason to ride a bike worth more than $50. Spray painting it multiple colors with a blind fold on is a good idea too.
He is.

I'm just giving him free drugs until he gets hooked.
Old 11-11-19, 02:16 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

He is.

I'm just giving him free drugs until he gets hooked.
It’s apparently worked for pharma.
Old 11-11-19, 02:33 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
My diabolical plan, is to let him ride it for a little bit, whet the appetite so to speak, and then let him PICK OUT HIS OWN BIKE <<<< genius move.

https://www.citygrounds.com/products...SABEgL5MPD_BwE

Screenshot...

Old 11-12-19, 05:35 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Worse than a bike stolen....... Stolen brake pads.

My daughter was in her last year of college (I got her the bike when she started) and one day she unlocked the 2 locks on her bike (secured in a locked bicycle parking bay) zoomed down the first hill, pulled the brake levers and nothing happened. Went straight thru a peak hour city intersection and crashed into some pedestrians who actually helped her avoid serious injury when they heard her screaming I'VE NO BRAKES!!!!!.
Some jerk had stolen her brake pads.
God, who ever checks your brakes before setting off..... I sure do now.
Old 11-12-19, 08:09 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

That sounds like a more targeted attack than theft.
Old 11-12-19, 08:21 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
I used to keep my bike in my shared dorm room. It pissed my roommate off to no end. I was in Minneapolis and a buddy of mine had 3 bikes stolen in a year. There was no way I was leaving it anywhere besides my room. So I lofted the bed, stuck my bike and my car snow tires under there, and told her to quit complaining because she wasn't exactly the best roommate, either. 20 years later, we're now good friends after not talking to each other for 15 years.
Old 11-12-19, 08:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
I do an ABC Quick Check every time I mount a bike. I made it an engrained habit.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-19, 09:41 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
My was in her last year of college (I got her the bike when she started) and one daWent straight thru a peak hour city intersection and crashed into some pedestrians who actually helped her avoid serious injury when they heard her screaming I'VE NO BRAKES!!!!!.
Some jerk had stolen her brake pads.
Seriously scary.
Glad she's ok.

Originally Posted by Johno59
God, who ever checks your brakes before setting off..... I sure do now.
Me. Every ride.
Especially the front brake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.