Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 03-04-20, 05:15 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
And speaking of odd, now is as good a time as any to finally post this strange concoction. One second I really like it and the next I do not. This is one of those rare cases. I think it is cool they used the rear disc wheel for art though. The saddle and the colors on the frame are nice. The matching helmet is a strange touch. Not a fan of the stem and handlebars. I would be curious to hear how you guys like it....does it get a thumbs up or down?

It's definitely afflicted with the Miami Vice influence that was popular, especially among triathletes, in the late 1980s. The bars are Profile Aero I, which were an early UCI legal aero bar. The stem is necessary to get the bars up to proper elbow height on a low-pro style frame.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-04-20, 05:24 PM
T-Mar

It took me a while to find an example but here's a 1895 advertisement showing that that those whale-tail saddles were nothing new.

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-05-20, 09:37 AM
T-Mar

Wow........if I could give this post three thumbs up I would. This thing is something extraordinary.....it has that aura of something magical from the past. The elaborate metal work is simply spectacular. I feel like this came out of that show Wild Wild West....is it real? Apparently it is. Imagine how much this cost back at the time. Look at the crank wheel. Is this thing a time machine? What a beautiful unique creation. Do you have more info on this bike or a link you could give us? Thanks for sharing this! And thanks for the historical info...so nice to meet someone informed. All Best.....
The bicycle is an 1896 Columbia roadster, enhanced by Tiffany for for a 1895 Christmas promotion announcing their entry into the bicycle market. The original price in 1896 was reportedly $3,350. Other Tiffany models started at as low as $500. At the time, the standard, unadorned Columbia model which was the basis for this bicycle, sold for $100. The subject bicycle currently resides at the Smithsonian. Google Tiffany bicycle and you'll find more pictures and information.

Cycling was hugely popular in the mid to late 1890s, courtesy of the recent innovations of the low saddled, chain driven, safety frame and pneumatic tyres. It was one of the few booming industries in what was an economic recession. It gave people, especially females, freedom to get out of the city and was practiced by people of every level of society, including kings, queens and presidents. Think of bicycles as the 1890s version of the smart phone. It was not unusual for celebrities of the era to have highly customized, extravagant bicycles. One of the top stage actresses of the era (I think it was Duse or Bernhardt) had a bicycle encrusted with her collection of rare jewels.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-05-20, 04:30 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
A couple more photos of another Romani (I just posted another one).....but I still know nothing of the make so if anyone does........please let us know.
I remember reading about them on various forums. The company was founded by Gaetano Romani in 1924. They mainly produced framesets but only few full bikes, and most of their production was contract manufacturing for all the shops around the Parma area where they resided, but they also did export as well, so compare to how rare the Romani bikes are, the actual company was big. Some sources even mentioned that they helped Ernesto Colnago to roll out the Colner brand, but it might be true might be a legend. The frames were said to be good quality for the money The biz went through 3 generations until 91 when they ceased production. The "third" Romani who last ran the business (Also Gaetano) is actually a really cool person. He is happy to read about the interest of his heritage on forums and comments in them send pictures and offer help with IDing frames, etc.... a really nice man i said. Dont know if he is still living but would not be surprised if he would say hello here as well if yes.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-05-20 at 04:45 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-06-20, 04:42 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
Do you happen to know the name of the saddle?
They say its a Gipiemme, that's all i know about.. dont think i've even seeen one or who made them (Iscaselle maybe?)
Likes For martl:
Old 03-06-20, 04:43 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Coolness.....kudos on finding another vintage Peugeot TT bike....I thought we had found them all and posted em here already.....I should have known better. They are hard to find though. This is a nice bike and someone should grab it up quick. Nice saddle, bullhorns, paint job, Not in love with these mag wheels in particular but that is just a sniggle on my part. Interesting bike...and thanks for posting this. If you find any other vintage TT Peugeots that we have not posted yet please show them here. Thanks.

P.S. What size is it and how much does he or she want for it?
59cm and no asking price

https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/1755989425.htm/
Likes For martl:
Old 03-06-20, 06:39 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

So if you want to point out these posts to him and he is willing to comment here on his experiences or the making of time trial lo pros then that would be awesome if he would honor us so.....if he has the time and inclination. If you have his contact information please let him know. And if he wants to post any pictures here that would be awesome if it is not too much trouble. All Best......
Unfortunately I don't have, its just somehow I attract "oddball" bikes, and a while ago decided to research on Italian cycling (big thanks Google Translator) forums as "closer to the campfire" I hoped to find more info, this is how I read about them as well (besides many of the countless Italian mini-brands/shops), and saw that Mr. Romani personally jumped into forum conversations with ppl. And then its an endless chain for everything I find interesting, as if I see something interesting, I go on and Google for more info as besides the my endless respect toward the "big names" in Italian cycling history I find these mini brands also (sometimes even more) interesting.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-06-20 at 06:45 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-06-20, 06:42 AM
Lattz

...P.S. If you have any pictures you know of of vintage time trial lo pros or pista bicycles that you really like then please post em here.
Thanks, I'll definitely post here as this exact post finally mark my 10th so I'll be able to post pics, and already have a few bikes in my mind which would fit here, but I'll start with my "oddball" triathlon Rossin just as an exception to the rule (not lo-pro), but to make it up for it, I'll post its lo-pro sibling as well.
That red-yellow Romani is beautiful btw, its funny that I just got my red-yellow Somec yesterday per post, they look like siblings with the 600ex and yellow extras, besides mine is in a bad shape.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-06-20 at 06:51 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-06-20, 09:03 AM
Lattz

"...I have been looking for all white tubulars of quality for one of my lo pros. .."
You can check out Challenge Criterium as far as I remember there was an all white and a white w. black wall version, but I might be wrong....however they cost a liver/kidney (at least according to my budget plans).

EDIT: Vittoria Strada was also made in all white.... https://www.tracksupermarket.com/vit...bike-tire.html

Last edited by Lattz; 03-06-20 at 09:08 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-06-20, 09:18 AM
Lattz

Hookay, as I said earlier, I contribute to the lot with my very own Rossin(?) tria bike. I always loved the looks of the track and especially the lo-pro bikes, but for commuting its hard to justify them. This is the bike which turned my attention on them again, and upon trying to research what "problem" I bought myself again I've found plenty of nice bikes on the journey I'll post later. Actually, this bike made me fall in love with the rather uncommon Columbus Ego tubing. Every time I look at it, I wonder "...if it's really a Rossin, screw them, they pantoed everything besides this one, if it's not a Rossin, based on the Ego tubes, its still must be something good and rare thing. And anyway its beautiful even when it shows 20+ years of really active usage and definitely a few years of "no one gives a thing about this". It's a mess atm, first pics - as it came, last one is somewhat cleaned and changed the Syntace handlebar to a Moscow... unfortunately my big fav. Mutant stem is way too long for this, so that has to go. I'm considering to chase Ironman people here in the forum (according to the sticker it participated in a Utah IM) and Italians for info, as it is really a pain that I don't know what is it. I always find close matches, but never an exact match. But as Rossin was also making tailor made ones, this can be one of them, or this can be anything else. A Chorus groupset is on the way from Belgium as first major update to ditch the mixed Shimano parts.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-06-20 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-06-20, 05:50 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by markwesti
Originally Posted by markwesti
Well looks to be something European , I got it off Pinterest . I would like to try to get a poster made from it .
That is an actul cover of an Italian Mickey Mouse comic (topolino stands for little mouse hence for the name of the early Fiat 500 cars as well).
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-07-20, 01:38 AM
Lattz

Yeah its a cool picture and would make a cool t-shirt me thinks.
It looks like most of us thinks like that I bumped into it on the Milano Fixed gear forum and it took me and my buddy immediately.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-07-20, 03:36 AM
Lattz

Two really similar but not identical ones. The first is my beloved Ego tubing with the wedge shaped head tube the second is Columbus Genius. The plain rosso corsa painting is unusual from Rossin but hey, they are italians... rosso corsa is a must (every now and then).. I guess VintageTTfan you know wheres the second is coming from

Last edited by Lattz; 03-07-20 at 06:39 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-07-20, 09:20 AM
T-Mar

I've been looking for this for awhile. It's a Disc Wheel advertisement from 1891, predating Moser's use by 93 years! Now all I have to do is find the road test. It mentioned having a version with 4 holes in it to mitigate the effect the side winds, though curiously it mentioned using it on the rear, as opposed to the front wheel.​​​​​​​
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-07-20, 04:26 PM
Lattz

T-mar this ad is awesome thanks for it! Its interesting how many times in the evolution of wheel it changed between being a flat "solid" body or a spoked thing. When one version gets good enough the predecessor comes up with an updated version. My curiosity blew up by this ad. Wondering if the pictured bike counts as lo-pro.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-07-20 at 04:56 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-07-20, 06:22 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
T-mar this ad is awesome thanks for it! Its interesting how many times in the evolution of wheel it changed between being a flat "solid" body or a spoked thing. When one version gets good enough the predecessor comes up with an updated version. My curiosity blew up by this ad. Wondering if the pictured bike counts as lo-pro.
Very cool. What is the title of that book?
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 03-08-20, 12:56 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrevvy
Very cool. What is the title of that book?
"Bicycles and Tricycles", Archibald Sharp, 1896
I was about to post that page from Sharp about disc wheels but Lattz beat me to it. It's my favorite example of "there's nothing new under the sun".

Sharp's book is so amazing. The first third of the book is an introduction to engineering, starting with a definition of space, time, and matter. Talk about thorough! I read it when I was in engineering school 40+ years ago, and I never found anything wrong in it, that I can recall. It's still pretty much right-on.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-08-20, 07:51 AM
T-Mar

I've never found any photos of the 1890s' disc wheels, only illustrations, such as that provided by Lattz. Actual photos in 1890s periodicals were quite rare. They were mainly illustrations based on my research. However, it's nice to see that they shortly came around to using the vented wheel on the front. Maybe I'm recalling it incorrectly, but I thought they originally recommended it for the rear.

Another related specific that I recall was that a rider of lesser calibre had used one to beat Augustus Zimmermann, who at the time was considered the world's best cyclist. Unfortunately, it didn't receive much publicity as the rider was disqualified over what I recall was an infraction by his "holder".
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-09-20, 09:44 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by bulgie

Isn't that just a fairly normal (if somewhat ugly) saddle sitting on a mirror?
Originally Posted by martl
They say its a Gipiemme, that's all i know about.. dont think i've even seeen one or who made them (Iscaselle maybe?)
If I'm not mistaken, this is a Gipiemme Sintra (wedge-shaped back and bottom part the rails run into fan-shaped? sections I guess those must be the marketing weapons). Based on my google search to confirm my thought it came in many eye popping colors (I know, ones poison is the food for others) and logo embroidery, finding a simple black is rather "rare" (maybe reupholstered?) EDIT: the original dotted pattern is visible on the underside and slightly on top as well, so its just "used". They go between USD20-100 these days.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-09-20 at 09:48 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-09-20, 10:30 AM
FlemmingM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Gazelle day! Great :-) I would love to post pictures of my Gazelle TT, but I'm 9 posts short of posting pictures...
As for the brand, Royal Dutch Gazelle, it started in 1892 selling imported English bikes. Then in 1902 they started making their own frames, but it gets more interesting in 1965 when they created the racing department. They do not make race bikes anymore and is owned by same company as Cervélo and Santa Cruz.

The first of your posts is same frame as mine; Gazelle Champion Mondial Tijdrit. Tijdrit is apparently Time Trial in Dutch. The frame is made in Reynolds 531 tubing and has some nice details; the seat tube has an indentation to make room for the rear wheel with a frame as compact as possible and the seat stays end in bottleneck style to be more aerodynamic.
Likes For FlemmingM:
Old 03-09-20, 11:05 AM
FlemmingM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
First let me say "Welcome to TT Land." Just gave you your first "like" so you are off to a good start. Thanks for the compliment....they are always appreciated here. When you are able to post your Gazelle TT then do it here for sure.

Second, thanks for the info on the Royal Dutch Gazelle company.....very interesting. Wow...they go way back. The company has been around long enough to see some serious bicycle history. All Best and hope to see you as a regular here.
Gazelle also sponsored several teams, incl. the TVM team which did very well in the Grand Tours from the late 1980’s until the EPO scandals in the late 1990’s.

Also I would like to say thank you for this thread. I love ‘TT land’; I've been through all 855 posts, so I consider myself a 'silent regular'.
I think the old low pros are far more interesting than my modern carbon rocket ships. But as I like to ride bikes, not just have them as art works, I’ve never been able to justify buying one. Well until this autumn where I discovered time trial races for classic bikes. Fortunately, I have a fantastic wife, so she said, ‘well now you have a purpose for the bike, so just buy one’, and this being in the middle of us buying and moving into a house! So, I found the Gazelle, which I’m now preparing for my first race in May!
Likes For FlemmingM:
Old 03-09-20, 02:19 PM
Lattz

Maybe I missed it between the many posts but I was thinking "the number of Takhions ( and other Eastern block stuff) is damn too low for such a thread but it will soon change" well didnt mean this was but it has changed! I'll join the Gazelle hype today but tomorrow its (hopefully) Takhion day..
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-09-20, 04:59 PM
Lattz

Last minute Gazelles for the day...

I like monocoque bikes like this because they are so out of this world (at least they were those days)

This has a really nice color although not a radical TT bike besides the extra long seatpost and the seattube crease to shorten the wheelbase, but I find it cool even if non Italian bike brands are usually located farther from my heart.

This one bought me with many things: first and foremost the "Mondrian-ish" colors of these TVM bikes, second the really dramatic slope of tje top tube but above all the cable going through the seattube - I fell for such tiny details like this, even if it came with sacrifices as seen below:

Last edited by Lattz; 03-09-20 at 05:11 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-09-20, 05:46 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Some of the winners of this year's "concoursvelo.ch" in Basel/Bale, a Rossin, a Bianchi/C4 and an Antonov

​​​​​​
Likes For martl:
Old 03-10-20, 03:38 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Originally Posted by Lattz
If I'm not mistaken, this is a Gipiemme Sintra (wedge-shaped back and bottom part the rails run into fan-shaped?.
Yep, looks legit - pics i found on an italian board

That Iscaselle i think is the one dubbed "Vultures beak". It is nice if it fits your contact spot but it isn't fpr everyone
Likes For martl:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.