Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Soap your Schwalbe tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 11:09 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Soap your Schwalbe tires

I have installed 6 new Schwalbe tires in the past couple of weeks and noticed this with every single one of them. The bead on them is so stiff that most of the time they will not seat 100% right and have a tire wobble after installing. It was driving me nuts because I kept thinking that I had bent wheels. So before you install just get a soapy sponge and lather the crap out of them before you install. Haven't had to do that with Maxxis or WTB but Schwalbe loves the soap I guess.
Old 10-04-19, 10:45 PM
bgdoyle

Bikes: '18 Giant Defy,'18 Trek FX3, Early '90s Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Made a difference seating the G-Ones today. Pretty snug on the rims and needs a bit of help to seat properly.
Old 10-05-19, 12:51 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I found extra air pressure did the job. Release some air once they’re seated.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 10-05-19, 02:19 AM
rec

Bikes: allez, p21, raleigh sscx, rockhopper, sycip, centurion

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Odd, I've had especially good experience with many dozens of Schwalbe tires over the past 14 years mounting true on mostly Velocity rims without any special treatment. Panaracers on the other hand... The easiest fix for a wobbly tire for me has been to slightly over inflate and letting the tire sit for a day or so.

Also, some rim makers and some tire manufacturers play better together than others.
Old 10-05-19, 07:56 AM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by rec
Odd, I've had especially good experience with many dozens of Schwalbe tires over the past 14 years mounting true on mostly Velocity rims without any special treatment. Panaracers on the other hand... The easiest fix for a wobbly tire for me has been to slightly over inflate and letting the tire sit for a day or so.

Also, some rim makers and some tire manufacturers play better together than others.
Agreed. When I mounted the G-ones on Stan’s Grail rims for my Niner, they went on so smoothly. I hit them with the compressor and they seated perfectly and held air with no sealant. So much easier than the struggle I had with Bontrager TLR tires/rims on my other bike.
Old 10-05-19, 08:23 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I have schwalbe pro ones on a set of Roval CL50 wheels and they went on and aired up the first try, same with my G-ones on my C38 wheels. But when I replaced one of my pro ones recently it was a pain to get them seated. But that same tire when pulled off and patched went on like the others, very easy.

Maybe they changed their spec for bead size recently? The relationship between the tire rubber compound, bead size, and the wheels they are going on can create problems for sure.

As for wobbly tires my trick is to take a quick easy ride with low air pressure, and then air them up to normal riding pressure. That will usually get the bead to seat evenly for me.
Old 10-05-19, 09:39 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Usually if the bead doesnt seat correctly in one spot you can carefully pull on the tire sidewall in the opposite direction and it will slip into place. But yea I usually air up to 60psi and most tires seat completely on my stans and dtswiss rims
Old 10-05-19, 05:01 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
All of them were on the new addix compound.
Old 10-07-19, 10:38 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Soap on the tires is good for anything tubless with a tight fit. Figured that one out about 15 years ago mountain biking. Certainly, the Germans have a super, super tight fit - Conti is even tighter than Schwalbe for higher pressure tires.
Old 10-31-19, 07:53 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Schwalbe actually recommends using their mounting fluid (AKA "soap') for mounting their tires for good reaason. It makes that satisfying tubeless 'pop' happen at much lower pressures and helps assure a good even seat.
Old 02-07-20, 06:04 PM
DOS

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I have schwalbe pro ones on a set of Roval CL50 wheels and they went on and aired up the first try, same with my G-ones on my C38 wheels. But when I replaced one of my pro ones recently it was a pain to get them seated. But that same tire when pulled off and patched went on like the others, very easy.

Maybe they changed their spec for bead size recently? The relationship between the tire rubber compound, bead size, and the wheels they are going on can create problems for sure.

As for wobbly tires my trick is to take a quick easy ride with low air pressure, and then air them up to normal riding pressure. That will usually get the bead to seat evenly for me.
Originally Posted by gus6464
All of them were on the new addix compound.
Came across this thread after posting a question over on mechanics forum https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...uirements.html.

After ordering new addix compound pro ones, I came across Schwalbe guidance to only use their sealant.

Have you had any issues using other sealants with schwalbe tires with addix? The Schwalbe site says:

Instructions for the first assembly: Schwalbe Pro One and Schwalbe Pro One TT Tubeless Easy tires must be used with Doc Blue tire sealant. At least 30 ml, preferably 60 ml per tire. The tire must be run for at least 25 km directly after the sealent is added. If the instructions for the first assembly are ignored, the sealing of the tire cannot be guaranteed.
Old 02-08-20, 05:18 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
My LBS had a heck of a time mounting my new Thunder Burts with the Addix compound on my rims a couple of months ago. They said it took 2-3 days, the third shop staffer was finally successful. This is a bike shop well-versed in mounting tubeless tires for both gravel and MTB bikes.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 02-09-20, 02:11 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora
My LBS had a heck of a time mounting my new Thunder Burts with the Addix compound on my rims a couple of months ago. They said it took 2-3 days, the third shop staffer was finally successful. This is a bike shop well-versed in mounting tubeless tires for both gravel and MTB bikes.

eric/fresno, ca.
Do you mean 2-3 days to seal them?

I just mounted an addix Rocket Ron and Thunderburt on a different wheelset. Beeswax on the bead. Blasted with CO2 cylinder. Bead seated straightaway.

After adding sealant I always let the wheel sit on its side for a day, then flip.
Old 02-11-20, 09:50 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Do you mean 2-3 days to seal them?

I just mounted an addix Rocket Ron and Thunderburt on a different wheelset. Beeswax on the bead. Blasted with CO2 cylinder. Bead seated straightaway.

After adding sealant I always let the wheel sit on its side for a day, then flip.
I have never heard of Bees Wax on a tire bead. I'd be afraid wax on the rubber would prevent the latex sealant from bonding to the tire surface to seal leaks... The Scwhalbe tire fluid is supposed to evaporate completely and leave no residue...
Old 02-14-20, 06:30 AM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I always use electrician's wire pull lube for bicycle and motorcycle tires.
It's cheap, readily available, water-based and works well.
Old 02-14-20, 06:46 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Hair conditioner is a good lube for seating beads.
Old 02-14-20, 06:27 PM
dwmckee

To each his own, but I try to stick with what the manufacturer recommends so if I have a problem they do not give me a hassle about warranty. As a matter of fact I had just such an issue with two Schwalbe tires that blew off the rim at pressure well below max. I verified I had correctly mounted the tires according to their instructions and they sent me two new tires, I'd can just imagine the diagnostic call to Schwalbe... "Well, first applied Caresse conditioner to the bead then inflated..."