Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Pedals and shoes

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 11:14 AM
sultanofsuede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
building on the original poster's question, i've been looking into gravel/cx shoes a bit too. i've only ridden on roads and just starting to look into knobby tire style biking.

if i end up getting a gravel bike, i think i'd probably do 3-4 cx races a year too. so, i'm i OK with a mtb shoe? or do i need a specific cx style shoe to allow for the running part of the sport? or are most mtb shoes just fine for running up hills, mud, etc..?
Old 11-13-19, 05:21 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by sultanofsuede
building on the original poster's question, i've been looking into gravel/cx shoes a bit too. i've only ridden on roads and just starting to look into knobby tire style biking.

if i end up getting a gravel bike, i think i'd probably do 3-4 cx races a year too. so, i'm i OK with a mtb shoe? or do i need a specific cx style shoe to allow for the running part of the sport? or are most mtb shoes just fine for running up hills, mud, etc..?
MTB shoes are fine if they have threaded inserts for mounting spikes
Old 11-13-19, 05:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
[QUOTE=Marcus_Ti;
Two years ago you could get Shimano's XTR pedals for only $90USD on clearance. I got PD-M9000 XTRs to replace Crank Candy3 and am happier. D/A quality MTB gear for $90USD. Nowadays XTRs are back to reg pricing with the model refresh to $180 I think.[/QUOTE]

XTRs have come down a bit in price, and XTs have come up a bit. Conventional wisdom is that XT is good enough for pretty much anyone, but with a narrow price difference...It's a toss-up.