Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velo Orange - Why choose threaded BB over threadless?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-24-19, 01:07 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts

Looking to replace the bottom bracket on an early 70s Peugeot. I see the threadless BB has sealed cartridge bearings. This seems easier and superior. Why would you not always choose this?
Old 10-24-19, 01:39 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Because it doesn’t come in the size you need?

I suspect, like me, many see that as a problem solver. You have a frame you might not keep forever with a French, Swiss or some other weird BB thread you can use the threadless. Then you are not wasting a lot time and spending more for that funky BB

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-24-19, 01:46 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

I suspect, like me, many see that as a problem solver. You have a frame you might not keep forever with a French, Swiss or some other weird BB thread you can use the threadless. Then you are not wasting a lot time and spending more for that funky BB
The person who owns this bike will be keeping it long term for sure. So you're saying, given that VO offers both the threaded and threadless french BB, you would go with the threadless?
Old 10-24-19, 03:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Looking to replace the bottom bracket on an early 70s Peugeot. I see the threadless BB has sealed cartridge bearings. This seems easier and superior. Why would you not always choose this?
I would not always choose the threadless expanding bb.
Actually, I would never choose it, with the exception of when threads are completely destroyed.

I dont want to spend $70 on a bottom bracket that has the same seals and quality as an $18 Tange bottom bracket. If I wanted to spend more money for some reason, inwould get a higher level Tange or IRD branded(Tange made) bottom bracket and still pay $20 less than the VO.

It looks nice though.
Old 10-24-19, 03:16 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I would not always choose the threadless expanding bb.
Actually, I would never choose it, with the exception of when threads are completely destroyed.

I dont want to spend $70 on a bottom bracket that has the same seals and quality as an $18 Tange bottom bracket. If I wanted to spend more money for some reason, inwould get a higher level Tange or IRD branded(Tange made) bottom bracket and still pay $20 less than the VO.

It looks nice though.
Hm, I get that. But could some argue that never having to service the bearings would be worth the extra $20 it costs?
Old 10-24-19, 03:23 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Hm, I get that. But could some argue that never having to service the bearings would be worth the extra $20 it costs?
All the VO bottom brackets have sealed bearings (and so do the cheaper Shimano ones).

The threadless BB is for solving problems with destroyed threads, if you don't have that problem, the threaded brackets will be more secure in the frame.

No reason to use the threadless if you have good threads.
Old 10-24-19, 03:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
A tange 3922 or 7922 bottom bracket offers the same thing though. Those cost $25-45 total. The 7922 uses aluminum cups and a cc machined hollow spindle even.
An IRD qb75 is $50 and is the same tech as a Tange 7922.

The threadless tech is cool. Its really neat engineering.
But $70 isnt what i want to spend when half as much gets the same quality features like alloy cups, sealed bearings, hollow spindle, long life.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-24-19, 03:38 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
???

All of the bottom brackets sold by Velo Orange are cartridge-style. And like pretty much all square-taper cartridge BBs, they use sealed bearings and are not user-serviceable.
Old 10-24-19, 03:41 PM
polymorphself 

Ah! Didn't realize they were both sealed, not sure how I missed that! This negates my entire question. Makes sense that the cartridge style would imply this but it didn't connect in my head. Thanks all, still learning
Old 10-24-19, 06:24 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
What on Earth is wrong with a Stronglight BB? Why is it "funky"? All parts remain completely available. Perhaps the best high production bracket bearing ever. One of the best ever by any standard.

Never have to service the bearings? Do you ride the bike? Sealed? They have dust shields. Sealed would be a Maxicar.

What part of greasing a bracket is difficult? How often do you imagine this torture must be endured?

Is it funky and junky and to be thrown away because it is old? Then why would you want an old Peugeot? Get a new bike.

If the automatic default is throw out the old and replace everything with new there is no rationale for C&V.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 10-24-19, 06:34 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
There are no bearing systems on a bike that won't need service. I prefer to remove/clean/repack and not to replace.
Old 10-24-19, 08:24 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
The threadless BB has sealed cartridge bearings. This seems easier and superior. Why would you not always choose this?
Ummm... It's almost impossible to find a new BB that DOESN'T have cartridge bearings. Threaded will give you a superior interface - won't loosen and/or squeak as easily.
Old 10-24-19, 08:26 PM
Raleigh74

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally, '85 Torpado Super Strada

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

This is the obvious answer. Which it’s why I’ve been eyeing the VO threadless option for a while for my low end, yet sentimental Raleigh Grand Prix.

I see no benefit in going threadless if BB threads are good and it’s a common size. I personally like repacking bearings when then time comes, sealed (as others have said) does not mean lifetime use.
Old 10-25-19, 04:53 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Send me your unwanted Stronglight parts. Since you don't want them I'll only cover postage. If you send me something good I'll reimburse you for the trouble of packing and shipping and possibly a bit more. Since no one here seems to know what 'something good' is I am the only judge.

This fantastic gear is going to vanish if no one cares. My mistake is believing that being C&V means caring about anything. These parts are still plentiful, made in huge quantity. But if they are smeared wholesale and landfilled indiscriminately they will disappear.
Likes For 63rickert: