Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Floor pump to keep in the car

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 05:39 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts

I keep a humble Avenir Airsource One floor pump in the car, but it no longer clamps reliably on all my valve stems. I think I could fix it by replacing a specific rubber insert that gets compressed to grip the valve stem, but replacement parts don't seem to be available for it, so I'm looking for a new pump.

It should be relatively cheap and able to take the wear and tear of living in my trunk. I'd like a pump that I can get some replacement parts for, although that might be tough if I keep the pump for a decade or more. All my bikes have Presta stems, but I sometimes use my bike pump to top off the car tires, so a dual head is a plus. All my bikes use clincher tires with tubes and have max pressure ratings of 90 - 130psi (mostly 120-130).

Do you have any suggestions?
Old 11-09-19, 06:41 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've replaced just the head on old pumps with a different brand. The one sold by Park Tool seems to work, and won't break the bank. Another possibility is to get a pump head and hose combo for the existing pump.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-09-19, 06:47 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It sounds like you just need a new chuck. I put a Lezyne ABS2 chuck on my old Air Hammer pump (whose old chuck was never much good IMO) and like it a lot, but it does not seem to be available any more. The replacement seems to be this one: https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...s1p-chuck-v111 It's sure a lot less than a whole new pump if just the chuck is problematic, although Lezyne makes nice pumps, too.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 11-09-19, 08:26 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Find a used Silca of ebay, I grab them for under 25 bucks. put a rebuild kit into it and you have a pump you can pass on to your granddkids.

Or, I'll sell you one, fully rebuilt, for 65 + ship

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-09-19, 08:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
My car pump is a SKS Compressor. Next to no plastic or O rings to melt/warp. While not the best at actual pumping (there has been a lot of pumping improvement in the last couple of decades, the SKS is a throw back to the Silca or MDI days) it is quite rugged and easily serviced. Mine has a Topeak Twinn Head chuck spliced onto the hose. Andy
Old 11-09-19, 09:26 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Rich,
contact me off line, I have a few Silca parts available that will fix your pump. Smiles, MH
Old 11-09-19, 10:21 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
What not get a Schraeder to Presta adapter and a cheap 12V pump to run off the car?
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-10-19, 10:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Sometimes, the easiest way to change your chuck is to get one integrated with a new hose. Do that with your cheapest, worst floor pump. Then put it in your car. Your car is less demanding of pumps than your bike is. Car tires need much more volume, so you'll get a workout, but since they require lower pressure, you don't need a special pump.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-10-19, 10:44 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I'd highly recommend a used Silca. Mine is over 25 years old.
Old 11-10-19, 11:09 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

I didn't consider splicing in a chuck from a different pump or buying used. Those are both good suggestions. At a glance, it looks like a used Silca costs more than a new Topeak...

I have an otherwise perfectly good Specialized airtool sport that leaks air through the gauge. I could use the chuck from that.

I've never had good luck with 12VDC compressors, and I don't think they usually reach 130psi. I think I have one in the basement, though. Also, I drive a Saab; the cigarette lighter is only powered when the engine is running. It's a minor inconvenience, but it's an inconvenience.
Old 11-10-19, 11:34 AM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Indeed, I have an old Silca that I got for 5 bucks at St. Vinny's, with a Park Tool chuck. It had a reversible brass Presta / Schrader head that was just too fiddly, even with a new gasket, so the pump now has a Park Tool chuck on it from another pump (not Park Tool) that broke. Not vintage or authentic, but it should work for a long time. The gaskets wear out on all pump heads. I learned that you can get a second life out of the Park combination head, because the two gaskets are identical but reversed, so you just swap them when the Presta side gets too loose to stay on the valve stem.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-10-19, 11:53 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I like to have a 12V compressor in the car just in case the car needs it. I have used them for bikes in the past, but probably mostly at lower pressures.

There are some rated for 200 or 300 lbs, and I think they'll do it for a small volume bike tire, but I have also had issues with doing large volumes at high pressures. Truck, trailer tires, etc.
Old 11-10-19, 12:07 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I bought a Bontrager "Charger" floor pump as an emergency replacement when my old Schwinn pump died while we were on vacation. It was the lowest cost decent pump the bike shop had at about $40. It has almost all metal construction, a dual Presta/Schrader chuck and a lifetime warranty. It's not small but appears quite durable.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 11-10-19, 12:17 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I like to have a 12V compressor in the car just in case the car needs it. I have used them for bikes in the past, but probably mostly at lower pressures.

There are some rated for 200 or 300 lbs, and I think they'll do it for a small volume bike tire, but I have also had issues with doing large volumes at high pressures. Truck, trailer tires, etc.
What do you expect from a 12V "power tool" that costs $20?
A 2-1/2 gal. pancake compressor is very marginal for big tires.
Old 11-10-19, 12:46 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
I think I could fix it by replacing a specific rubber insert that gets compressed to grip the valve stem, but replacement parts don't seem to be available for it, so I'm looking for a new pump.
Why not fabricate or adapt a replacement seal? Find a suitable rubber washer in a hardware store, cut off a piece of rubber tubing of reasonable dimensions, etc.?
Old 11-10-19, 12:47 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

I guess I mis understood the thrust of the question "pump to keep in the car".

if you are going to use a Silca or SKS pump to inflate car tires - you'll be pumping a long time.

also with car tires - at least modern ones, if they lose pressure you probably have a leak in which case you're much better off with a can of goop that will get you to the tire shop.

There are some really wonderful vintage Dunlop pumps that are high volume, foot operated units. I've never taken one apart so have no idea what the availability of replacement seals, etc might be. See below.

If on the other hand you want to inflate bike tires - well, there are many good suggestions above. I personally like the Silca b/c they are fully rebuildable and can thus last "forever". Which is a lot more than can be said for a $20 electric "device" from harbor freight or Walmart.

Mark Petry

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-10-19, 03:40 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
See below.
That is a beautiful piece of equipment! I'll bet it was designed to be easily and inexpensively serviced... if it were ever necessary.
Old 11-10-19, 04:18 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

I have been tempted to buy one just to see how they are built. An interesting gizmo for the workshop... like I don't have enough of those already !

Mark Petry
Old 11-10-19, 04:56 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
...I have an otherwise perfectly good Specialized airtool sport that leaks air through the gauge. I could use the chuck from that...
Most floor pumps use standard 1/8" NPT threaded gauges. I have replaced 120-160psi gauges with lower-pressure ones more suited to the pressures I run, you could certainly replace a leaking gauge with an inexpensive gauge from EBay, etc.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 11-11-19, 04:56 PM
RichSPK

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I guess I mis understood the thrust of the question "pump to keep in the car".

if you are going to use a Silca or SKS pump to inflate car tires - you'll be pumping a long time.

also with car tires - at least modern ones, if they lose pressure you probably have a leak in which case you're much better off with a can of goop that will get you to the tire shop.
All tires lose air over time (never mind changes in ambient temperature and pressure). Even mylar balloons lose air. Glass would probably hold air longer, but it wouldn't make a very good tire.

"Pumping a long time" depends how much air you're trying to put in the tire. If you're only trying to bring it up 2-5 psi it's not bad.