Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Slotted cleat, what is this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Slotted cleat, what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 11:34 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Slotted cleat, what standard is this?

I thought it'd be fun to ride the Dura Ace 7400 pedals on my bike. I thought it'd go great with my Look compatible Bontrager Classique shoes.

I ordered these cleats on eBay. The 3 hole pattern is way too small for Look. A little bit too wide for SPD. Came with bolts, not pins or screws. Definitely meant to be mounted to something.

What shoes had this pattern?

Last edited by rosefarts; 11-10-19 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-10-19, 11:43 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I think most of the cleats of that era were 2 bolts, but not entirely standardized.
Old 11-10-19, 11:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
You would mount those to shoes. The slot would catch the rear edge of a quill pedal, typically. We rode with cleats like those before Look came out. I found them nerve-wracking, because to work, you had to tighten the toe strap, making quick exit tricky. I normally left at least one of my straps loose. I was glad when Look came out and glad once again when SPD came out. Sometimes I think SPD is Shimano's best invention ever.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-10-19, 11:50 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Clearly the previous owner Dremeled it out to attempt to get the bottom two holes on to an SPD shoe. The cleat itself doesn't have a scratch, so I assume this failed and never got ridden.
Old 11-10-19, 11:51 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I know what they are. I just don't know what type of shoe they would mount to.
Old 11-10-19, 12:04 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
You could find an old pair of leather sole dress shoes at a thrift store, and drill them for that pattern; then use t-nuts for attachment.
Old 11-10-19, 04:55 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
My 1976 Vittorias have a three hole pattern, though the supplied cleats only use two of the holes. I think the three holes are to allow modern cleats, as well as older style with two holes. I bought these for Eroica only, but prefer normal SPDs for everyday riding.

Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 11-10-19, 05:31 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
The cleat bolt spacings during the later (bolt on) slot cleat era were generally proprietary to the shoe manufacturer. For example, if you had a Sidi shoe, you used Sidi cleats. There was a bit of overlap, and IIRC some generic cleats for the common brands were available, but it just wasn't standardized. No reason for it. There were not multiple pedal standards and systems to deal with. Any slot cleat would fit any pedal. I don't recognize these at first glance. Most shoes used one or two bolts.

I think the best path forward is to cut your losses and shelf these, then acquire some slotted cleats intended for the 'modern' 3 bolt Look pattern.
Old 11-10-19, 05:36 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
My 1976 Vittorias have a three hole pattern, though the supplied cleats only use two of the holes. I think the three holes are to allow modern cleats, as well as older style with two holes. I bought these for Eroica only, but prefer normal SPDs for everyday riding.

Those look like they would have the same pattern as Look. I don't think the drilling has changed from the mid 80s. Delta or Keep. Mine wouldn't fit.

Futzing around with a trashed old pair of Diadoras, I think they'd work with one Look hole and one SPD hole on a dual style compatible shoe.

At this point, I'm totally happy with Keo's on the old bike. The Classique shoes make brand new look totally retro.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 11-11-19, 07:44 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Marresi and others
Nice!!

Want a spare pair?
Old 11-11-19, 10:55 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
If you have measurements of the hole pattern on the shoe, I could measure shoes.

Speedplay has a slightly wider hole pattern than SPD, but narrower than SPD-SL.

However, you'd probably need to drill the third hole.
Old 11-11-19, 11:44 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by CliffordK
If you have measurements of the hole pattern on the shoe, I could measure shoes.

Speedplay has a slightly wider hole pattern than SPD, but narrower than SPD-SL.

However, you'd probably need to drill the third hole.
I have speedplay specific shoes so I never used the adapters. Im sure I could modify those into slotted cleats or at least mount these to them. Seems like a lot of work for how seldom I'd use them.
Old 10-31-20, 11:31 AM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
slotted cleats for old style racing pedals

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I thought it'd be fun to ride the Dura Ace 7400 pedals on my bike. I thought it'd go great with my Look compatible Bontrager Classique shoes.

I ordered these cleats on eBay. The 3 hole pattern is way too small for Look. A little bit too wide for SPD. Came with bolts, not pins or screws. Definitely meant to be mounted to something.

What shoes had this pattern?

This cleat must be 80s era, specific to one make of road bike shoes like many of that time. Sidi, Diadora, Duegi, Adidas etc. all had their own design to work with the caged pedal standard. Now in this late time, there are a small few slot cleats out there to fit later road shoes with Look 3 hole mounting. Yellow Jersey in WI has them, Exustar makes them, and maybe more? Shimano had a 3 bolt cleat made but specific to their late 80's 600 pedals . The caged pedals are prectical for many, perhaps still preffered by trackies and urban fixed riders for a nice snap with no shoe upper slop or pulling
For riders who live on their bikes and get around town, old style pedals are great with regular shoes as well
Old 11-02-20, 11:44 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Do your pedals have black anodized aluminum or chrome steel rattraps? If steel, the Exustar aluminum track cleats work very well LOOK 3-bolt pattern so any modern racing shoe works and the cleats are as will made and thought out as any back in the day. I've been running those cleats on Lake shoes and the Dura Ace or 600 pedals on all my fix gears the past 20 years. Aluminum cleats will mess up nice aluminum rattraps quickly but barely touch the hard chrome. In 20,000 miles, chromed steel rattraps look used but ready for the next 20,000.

Aluminum cleats on chrome steel rattraps rule if you like to pull up, sometime hard and want to keep toestrap tensions reasonable. The aluminum cleat binds with the metal pedal with pressure and tends not to slip. Plastic cleats are the opposite. (There is a two pedal stroke steep grade in Portland which is the ultimate cleat/toestrap/system test on my fix gears. Less than very good and I pull out and have to walk. With plastic cleats I have to tighten the straps until they hurt the bones in my feet.
Old 11-02-20, 11:05 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
I put in a lot of miles on slotted cleats in the early 80's, before I switched to clipless pedals in 85.
Yes, they were a bit nerve wracking when the slotted cleats were brand new, as the slot tends to be tight on the pedal cage. But after a rew miles of use, they always wear in a bit, enough that it gets easier to get your shoe off the pedal after a quick flick of the strap buckle. After only a season riding slotted cleats with toe clips and straps, gettin in and out of them pretty much became muscle memory to me. The slot also, eventually wears down at the corners enough that you might get a degree or so of lateral play that makes them a bit more comfortable on the knees.
What I remember was, there were lots of bolt patterns for cleats, mostly proprietary to the brand shoe the came in.
​​​​They came in either one, two or three bolt patterns with different spacings and locations.
I don't think there was a "standard" bolt pattern that was used by most cycling shoe manufacturers like we now have with the Look cleatless pedals.

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-18-20 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-17-20, 07:00 PM
bikeman68

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is from the 80's when bike shoe makers provided specific/proprietary designed cleats for the shoes you bought, they came as standard equipment so your shoes fit properly on all bona fide road/track bike quill or caged pedals. This one looks familiar, maybe from Marresi road shoe? Anyhow you have a real mystery there that fits a certain make of vintage road bike shoe not made anymore, to find it you need luck and to search ebay vintage bike shoes. If you share this image with the infamous YELLOW JERSEY bike shop in Wisconson, chances are Andrew will ID this cleat right away, so you can search for the said mystery shoe
Old 12-12-20, 07:21 PM
bikeman68

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
shoes and cleats

Those look like they would have the same pattern as Look. I don't think the drilling has changed from the mid 80s. Delta or Keep. Mine wouldn't fit.

Futzing around with a trashed old pair of Diadoras, I think they'd work with one Look hole and one SPD hole on a dual style compatible shoe.

At this point, I'm totally happy with Keo's on the old bike. The Classique shoes make brand new look totally retro.
Are these latwer stock Vittorias with a wide or more narrow last? And is heel narrow or wide? Also The slotted cleats, are they from Yellow Jersey? They look to be easier release and practical?
Old 12-12-20, 07:26 PM
bikeman68

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vittoria 1976 road sjhoes

Just wanted to ask, are these 1976 Vittorias made narrow or avge width? I need Narrow and a narrow heel. Regarding the caged pedal cleats, where did you find? Are they branded and made in USA? Are they the ones designed by Yellow Jersey in Wisconson? Model number?
Thanks
Old 12-12-20, 07:28 PM
bikeman68

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
so where did you get teh caged pedal cleats? And fit? are these in classic narrow with narrow heel? Or the fattened USA market width? I have narrow feet and SICK of widened Bike shoes
Old 12-12-20, 10:01 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
This pair of cleats look a lot like the cleats for a Nike shoe from the early '80s. They were popular here but the line disappeared in the late '80s. Good luck finding a pair of those shoes. Smiles, MH