Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports - June 19/20/21

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-18-15, 09:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

Summer solstice in the northern hemisphere! Tell us about your rides this weekend ... especially any that take advantage of the long, long daylight hours.

[HR][/HR]

Today ... Friday in Australia but Thursday here in Canada ...

Rowan and I completed a ride we have been talking about and preparing for for a while. We rode a century (100 miles) on our Bike Friday Pocket Llamas (folding bikes)!

We didn't break any speed records, but ...

We set off shortly after 9 am and rode with my father about 14 km, then he returned home and we continued on ... to Hope. The route is a little bit hilly out that way, but nothing too significant. We flew into Hope with an increasing wind behind us, but knew that we'd be into it on the way back.

So we stopped at DQ for some fuel ... chili cheese dogs and blizzards.

Returning to our start location wasn't too bad at first, but the last 7 or 8 km were a slog ... right into that ever-increasing wind.

118 km complete!

We stopped for more fuel and then made a decision about where to go next. We decided it would work best for us to cycle into the wind, and then to return with a tailwind.

The route we chose zig-zagged into the wind so that sometimes it was, again, a slog, but other times not too bad. And finally, we turned around and cruised home. We would have done the trip home a lot quicker if we hadn't been as worn out as we were. The wind takes it out of a person ... and I was experiencing one particular fit issue which we'll need to sort out if we're going to entertain the idea of doing longer rides.

Nevertheless ... our first century this year is complete. We did it in 9 hours and 40 min which is well within rando time

And along the way we saw ... planes and trains ... and cows, horses, goats, hawks, crows, geese, cats and dogs ...
Kept us entertained!

Last edited by Machka; 06-18-15 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 06:25 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 147 Posts
Cutting laps at a remote abandoned rail towns BMX track

Old 06-19-15, 03:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

And today ... we walk. Something that does not involve sitting on a saddle.
Old 06-19-15, 07:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
And today ... we walk. Something that does not involve sitting on a saddle.
Got 5 km in.
Old 06-19-15, 07:29 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today i did 69.7 miles on two bikes, also it is my 5th year anniversary of biking. Over 35,000 miles and 15 centurys with 25 metric centurys. It was a fun five so far i can wait till my 50th year of biking!
Old 06-19-15, 08:07 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by alexaschwanden
Today i did 69.7 miles on two bikes, also it is my 5th year anniversary of biking. Over 35,000 miles and 15 centurys with 25 metric centurys. It was a fun five so far i can wait till my 50th year of biking!
Congrats!!
Old 06-19-15, 11:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

And along the way we saw ... planes and trains ... and cows, horses, goats, hawks, crows, geese, cats and dogs ...
Kept us entertained!
We also saw mountain views, fields of corn and blueberries, and lots of large trucks ...

Last edited by Machka; 06-19-15 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-20-15, 01:27 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Got 5 km in.
And another 2.5 km in the evening for a total walk of 7.5 km.
Old 06-20-15, 06:00 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: Shop ride.. they finally decided folks were in shape to do some hills and we had some fun. I convinced about half of the group to go up a short but very steep one 3/4 of the way into the ride. strava says 13% avg but for the most part it is between 16-19% but only .3 mi so you just have to forget the need for oxygen for a minute and it is ok. either way.. about 34mi at a casual pace for this group due to the hills and having a more relaxed feel to it.

pic doesn't do it justice when you're riding up to it. we have plans to get a picture of people going up it next time.
Old 06-20-15, 06:04 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got in a quick 15 on Friday. Today I got in 51 miles. Longest ride since my collapsed lung in march and return to the bike mid April. Speed came back quickly however the distance is taking some time. Awsome weather and great ride. Going out again in the morning.
Old 06-20-15, 06:34 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Sat: Shop ride.. they finally decided folks were in shape to do some hills and we had some fun. I convinced about half of the group to go up a short but very steep one 3/4 of the way into the ride. strava says 13% avg but for the most part it is between 16-19% but only .3 mi so you just have to forget the need for oxygen for a minute and it is ok. either way.. about 34mi at a casual pace for this group due to the hills and having a more relaxed feel to it.

pic doesn't do it justice when you're riding up to it. we have plans to get a picture of people going up it next time.

Very cool looking hill!!

I NEVER judge a hill by its appearance!! (And I don't think that one looks particularly easy) A recent escapade taught me that when I felt I should be coasting but found myself upshifting to pedal harder instead. From there on I knew I'd *at least* never underestimate another hill again.

Beautiful pic, btw!
Old 06-20-15, 07:26 PM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
63 miles at 95 degrees today
Old 06-21-15, 11:14 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
Very cool looking hill!!

I NEVER judge a hill by its appearance!! (And I don't think that one looks particularly easy) A recent escapade taught me that when I felt I should be coasting but found myself upshifting to pedal harder instead. From there on I knew I'd *at least* never underestimate another hill again.

Beautiful pic, btw!
pic isn't mine unfortunately but it is nice.

I hit that hill going about 20mph on the flat then dumping to my 36 ring. I'm still working out the cog i need to be in for the first section to go at it hard but keep my standing cadence in a good range. needs more practice.

Sunday: Watched and volunteered at a Triathalon my GF was doing today.. full on epic conditions.. downpours off and on all morning.. luckily no lightning so it was just wet and not sketchy. her and a bunch of friends did well so it was a good day. my turn is next month hopefully dry
Old 06-21-15, 04:27 PM
jeff@work

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a BEAUTIFUL area Machka!

Saturday I got ambitious and did 140 miles on the Oregon Cascading Rivers Scenic Bikeroute... did a little write up here: https://www.bikeforums.net/pacific-no...l#post17914054

Sunday... i rode a mile on my cruiser to the grocery store for a donut haha
Old 06-21-15, 06:05 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
56 miles on the Tarmac riding with the front group with a local club. First time this year I was able to ride with the faster bikes.
Old 06-21-15, 07:43 PM
Xir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't ride Friday or Saturday due to a summer cold. Did 40 today at a relaxedish pace and was clearly still suffering the aftereffects of the cold. My usual riding partners rode on to 50+ and I turned back for the first time with the short group.
Old 06-21-15, 07:55 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did a relaxing 26 miles from palo alto to san jose, it was nice.
Old 06-21-15, 08:05 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Saturday: failed at a challenging DC, but managed 150, 9+k, , had fun, & sweated off a few pounds.

Sunday: 2K climbing on the mtn bike w/ son, including inadvertently going down a sketchy bandit trail. He went over the bars in a spectacular fashion.
Old 06-21-15, 08:06 PM
rlsmith17

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek XCaliber 8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 12 miles on Friday to check out the new bike. 63 miles Saturday on a local charity ride and 45 miles today.
Old 06-21-15, 11:47 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan, my father and I did a 27.9 km Father's Day ride on our own this evening.

(click photos for more)
Old 06-22-15, 07:38 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
It has been rainy this past week which has wiped out my afternoon cycling. However, I did get in my morning Saturday and Sunday rides. The wind has shifted, so both days I went out to the Upper Tampa Bay trail. 40 miles on Saturday and on a slightly different route 42 miles on Sunday. Sunday I got a rare honk and close pass from a driver. Jerk...doesn't he know I'm a Father! I'll try to ride again some nights this week, but it's already raining again today.
Old 06-22-15, 09:48 AM
Rook24V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a great 49 mile ride on Sunday. My brother and I left north from my house (bothell wa), navigated our way through a farming valley (Snohomish), up 10 miles on the Centennial Trail, broke off to ride around a lake (Lake Stevens), rode west into the city (Everett), then south through town (Mill CreeK) back home (bothell again). Beautiful day for it!
Old 06-24-15, 12:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Tuesday -- 16.5 km in the Kamloops area.
Old 06-24-15, 04:45 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saturday was a race clinic. Raining, but of course it cleared up by 7:30 or so when we were finished. Regular club fields were sparse, but turn-out for the clinic was good. Unfortunately, a little ways into the second lap of the park, on a downhill my chain dropped - jammed between the small cog and the drop out! - so I got dropped, too. Shortly thereafter, it drops between the big cog and the spokes (don't ask why I was going to the big cog during a race in the park). It dropped again - off the big ring - before I could finish the second lap. I've NEVER had the chain drop off the cassette before. Figure I must have knocked the derailleur around too much getting the bike in and out of the car. Or something. I finish the prescribed 3 laps with a proper sprint, loop around back to the start/finish to get the tail end of the debriefing and watch the club fields finish. Pretty much a bust.

Sunday, I have a little mishap (recounted elsewhere) about nine miles into what I'd planned to be a 40-60 mile hilly ride and hobbled home. Another bust.

But yesterday morning, Monday, I went to catch the first major climb of what I'd wanted to do Sunday. It was a hill I'd only descended before, but it was close enough to get to and return from before getting ready for work. It turned out to be a glorious morning. Everything seemed easy. Weather was beautiful, traffic was sparse (it was only 5 a.m., after all), and I found the climb to be magnificent - very steep at the start, with nicely-paced bumps the rest of the way. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to break a pedal on the way down the other side - the spring snapped off. So it was a little awkward getting home, but not too bad.

It's funny - I wound up with the sense that the "weekend's" riding turned out to be very fine, all on account of that Monday morning ride - I guess because it was so early.

Last edited by kbarch; 06-24-15 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 11:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

What day is today? Wednesday?

A casual 15.5 km ride today + a 2 km walk.