Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on generic disk brake pads

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-19, 08:19 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Looking for new road pads and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a brand or vendor who has pads that are pretty good? TRP, Shimano, KoolStop, SwissStop are the major players but was wondering about other brands out there. Or should I stick with known brands due to brakes being a safety concern? Just wondering...
Old 07-06-19, 08:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I used these basically no-name, 4-pairs-for-$16 pads for around 10,000 miles-- and didn't even wear them out, I changed calipers, so they're still in use on the back-up bike. Absolutely no issues. I've found no remarkable differences between any of the brands I've used, regardless of brand. Some are a little quieter, some are a little more dusty, but they all work about the same. Nothing wrong with the cheap ones.
Old 07-06-19, 09:27 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I used these basically no-name, 4-pairs-for-$16 pads for around 10,000 miles-- and didn't even wear them out, I changed calipers, so they're still in use on the back-up bike. Absolutely no issues. I've found no remarkable differences between any of the brands I've used, regardless of brand. Some are a little quieter, some are a little more dusty, but they all work about the same. Nothing wrong with the cheap ones.
they say they are "semi metallic". Do they squeal when wet?
reason I'm asking is I had similar generic semi-metallic pads, which were fine. but whenever it was wet my brakes sounded like a train braking until the water dried off. therefore I went back to resin pads. So I'm wondering if i could try these or if they will have the same issue?
Old 07-06-19, 10:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pads for what?

what comes in the OEM factory pick = generic After market its your choice ...

want to offer specifics?
Old 07-07-19, 02:47 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I have several no name from eBay in China, like $2/pair. They worked great until they did not. Normal and spirited riding they were perfectly fine. One steep down hill with an abrupt emergency stop and they were shot. Burnt and useless after that. I was able to sand them down and try again but never good after that. Entry level Shimano seem to be a great value.
Old 07-07-19, 03:58 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I've used a company called Uberbike for replacement disc brake pads:

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/c...isc-Brake-Pads

Great value and great quality. Their Race-Matrix pads are my preferred ones. They're based in the UK, so I'm not sure how convenient they'll be for you, but they do deliver outside of the UK.
Old 07-07-19, 05:32 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I like the kevlar pads from this company. https://www.discobrakes.com/

They greatly improved the performance of the SRAM hydro disc brakes on my gravel bike. The Kevlar compound is similar to a resin pad, but with longer life.
Old 07-07-19, 09:18 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
they say they are "semi metallic". Do they squeal when wet?
reason I'm asking is I had similar generic semi-metallic pads, which were fine. but whenever it was wet my brakes sounded like a train braking until the water dried off. therefore I went back to resin pads. So I'm wondering if i could try these or if they will have the same issue?
I don't know if it's unique to IceTechs, but my brakes honk like an angry goose when wet. I don't mind, actually. But not any squeaking/squealing during my use.

My current pads will occasionally "chitter" a little, like the sound of a small bird chirping. I think this probably has more to do with the fact that the rotors have over 18,000 miles on them than it does with pad composition.
Old 07-07-19, 09:50 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I've found the cheap resin pads to be much more quiet than semi-metallic. Won't use anything else in the future. My mistake was trying all kinds of disc's before figuring out it was the pads that made the noise...
Old 07-07-19, 12:19 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@DrIsotope I have IceTech rotors on my bike and the make TONS of noise when wet. When dry they are quiet, but man. Add a bit of water and you can hear my stopping from blocks away.

I'm impressed on the mileage on those rotors. I replaced my front rotor with approx 8,000kms. Mind I'm doing a lot of downhill descents and I'm on the brakes like a granny. But I'm ok with that.
Old 07-07-19, 01:54 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I tried generic pads from an Amazon vendor (Gekors), but was not impressed. The power was poor and the pad thickness appeared (not measured, mind you) variable from pad to pad. After trying to bed them in and a few weeks of riding they were tossed. Stopping distance was worse than the SwissStop pads the Gekors replaced. My safety is worth the not major cost difference, so I have switched to SwissStop E series, which are organic pads. Braking performance is fine with the E series. As others have noted, organic pads are generally less expensive than rotors, so another benefit.
Old 07-07-19, 04:35 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Best pads I've had in my Deore/Zee calipers are no-name pads. Dunno who they're made by, obviously, but they're painted gold.
Old 07-07-19, 04:47 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Seriously?
You are only referencing ‘pretty good’ and already named four pretty good(to great)brands but you are looking for something different?
On an already low priced safety related item.
Are you that bored?
Everything that is silly about online forums in a nutshell 🙄

Last edited by downhillmaster; 07-07-19 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 04:56 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
What's the word 'round here on Trucker Co. pads? I'd read good stuff about them, and nearly everyone but the OP in this thread said they like them......
https://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/t...do-941748.html
Old 07-07-19, 06:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I never understand going super cheap on already low cost items. Go expensive on this stuff and get better braking performance and you still won't spend that much. I like SwissStop personally and have been running their rim brake pads for two years now and the disc brake pads for about a year and they are fantastic. Great stopping power at not a whole lot extra cost and they seem to last a while.