Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ride Clean

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 04:45 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^

I was about to summon Gary again!
Old 12-19-17, 07:35 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Y'all haven't been over to P&R lately, have you? Some of the grammar choices and logical fallacies over there will make you weep for the state of our education system.

Oh don't make me come in here. Did you see my reminder?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-19-17, 09:36 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Oh don't make me come in here. Did you see my reminder?
Sorry, wasn't trying to bring up those topics, just trying differentiate playful teasing here from more heated disagreements elsewhere. Sometimes tone gets lost when all we can see is text without the subtext visual or oral cues would provide.

Last edited by himespau; 12-20-17 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-19-17, 10:00 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Sorry, wasn't trying to bring up those topics, just trying to say that compared to some of the arguments over there this is light teasing and no one really despises or is actually putting down RadishLegs. Sometimes tone gets lost when all we can see is text without the subtext visual or oral cues would provide.
Let's try to stay on topic. This forum is not all about me.
Old 12-19-17, 10:03 PM
Radish_legs

Was talking to an acquaintance a while back. Master's racer. He had had a really bad cold he was recovering from. He mentioned he wanted to take sudafed before the race to try and help with the drainage, but he was afraid he might get tested and popped, so he didn't take the medication.

That scared me a little. I don't ever take sudafed. But the idea of being a cat 4 racer who doesn't really care about "making it" in racing, that I could be publicly sanctioned for doping for taking sudafed, unwittingly not realizing I was "doping." That scared me.
Old 12-19-17, 10:11 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Sudafed isn't a problem as long as you keep to the dosage on the box. This applies to both the four- and twelve-hour versions. I use it often enough that I checked it out.

I was taking lisinopril + HCTZ for high blood pressure. When I started racing I had my doc change the prescription to just lisinopril because HCTZ is a known masking agent.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-19-17, 10:16 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Was talking to an acquaintance a while back. Master's racer. He had had a really bad cold he was recovering from. He mentioned he wanted to take sudafed before the race to try and help with the drainage, but he was afraid he might get tested and popped, so he didn't take the medication.

That scared me a little. I don't ever take sudafed. But the idea of being a cat 4 racer who doesn't really care about "making it" in racing, that I could be publicly sanctioned for doping for taking sudafed, unwittingly not realizing I was "doping." That scared me.

Sudafed on the GlobalDRO---
TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Cost, benefit for me. I take sudafed for bad sinus infections to even feel normal. I don't take it in-competition because if i get bad enough to need it, probably shouldn't be racing anyways.

It's not things like these that worry me. It's substances in my vitamins, and other supplements that I don't even know are there. When I get a prescription I know with great certainty what I'm taking in whether it be an asthma inhaler or an anti-histamine. When I get protein powder from Costco, who the hell knows whats in there.

Also, my one shot at ever getting tested has come and gone. Don't forsee myself competing at a national level event again until I'm much older, so none of this really worries me at all.
Old 12-19-17, 11:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,657 Posts
My teammate (cat 3 at the time) two years ago got tested after winning Dana Point, which is an NRC crit. That was pretty cool - good for some bragging rights. He was worried because he took a couple hits off a joint at a party a week back, but he's not a regular user so I told him not to worry about it.
Old 12-20-17, 04:59 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts

While not related to sudafed, that's actually a real problem. If there was more random testing they'd catch people on all sorts of things without knowledge that they're an issue. Stuff you buy in the health food store, in particular.
Old 12-20-17, 08:05 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I saw an interesting article about Froome that discussed a lot of the science and pharmacology behind the way the body metabolises various medications. (Unfortunately, I cannot find the link now, and it was more of a blog post.) But the guy noted several academic articles that showed how there are so many other factors that could affect you salbutamol levels. For example, taking a dosage while extremely dehydrated could cause substantially elevated levels, even if the dosage your taking would theoretically be within limit.

I mention this not to absolve Froome, but it is a concern of mine. I've mentioned many times that I have extreme allergies and full asthma. I have a prescription for Zyrtec D to allow me to take it daily. I also have prescriptions for two inhalers - a daily one to manage my Asthma and then a rescue one for flare ups or exercise induced issues. If I take these as prescribed, I should, in theory, be below the limits. And because I should be below the limits, a TUE is not needed. But, should I encounter a situation where my body is off one day, is there a chance I could be over the allowable limit without really knowing it? I don't really know.

And as others said, I'm also concerned that some of the vitamins or other reasonable supplements I take could be contaminated. My protein powder has a NSF Safe for Sport label, but are the generic Flintstones vitamins I take 100 % kosher?
Old 12-20-17, 08:16 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
And as others said, I'm also concerned that some of the vitamins or other reasonable supplements I take could be contaminated. My protein powder has a NSF Safe for Sport label, but are the generic Flintstones vitamins I take 100 % kosher?
And, given the complete lack of regulation of the dietary supplements industry, can you be sure that the NSF Safe for Sport label is all that meaningful?
Old 12-20-17, 09:39 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I google usada + centrum and also check the high risk table like 1x/month. For a ****ing multivitamin! Lame AF!
Old 12-20-17, 10:22 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
...Cost, benefit for me. I take sudafed ...
I used Sudafed and aspirin early 80s for TTs and had no idea on the legality of the stuff. I watched my HR closely and I expect I had much more top end available, but didn't know it then.

About a decade or so ago I had a big soccer game to officiate and I had a terrible head cold. I took Sudafed (for the last time) as the game must go on. I felt great and was keeping up with the kids (the 20 year olds). I typically wear a HRM during games and got home and saw I was frequently at my max for about an hour. We had had another official have a heart attack that year. It scared me quite a bit. Never touched the stuff since then, and I certainly would not ride with it.

Sometimes I wonder if this stuff encourages use. For Sudafed it says more than 50mL/6 hours is prohibited.
So does someone decide some is better than none and get the children's dose? It says the 15mg/5ml solution is banned, but I'd expect you could stay under the limit with that.

Anyway, nasty stuff for me, I'll not use it an workout again. Might use it if sitting at my desk.
Old 12-20-17, 10:53 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

The high HR is more to do with being sick I would think. Years ago I did a race after being off my bike for 3 weeks with a chest cold and my avg HR for the 3 hours was 180bpm, which was technically my LTHR.
Old 12-20-17, 11:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
^^

I was about to summon Gary again!
You're not going to have me to kick around much longer.
Old 12-21-17, 08:35 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
USADA changes for 2018

https://www.usada.org/2018-prohibite...major-changes/
Old 12-21-17, 09:45 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Dammit, guess CRISPR is off the table now..

Seems very proactive by USADA to ban something that is so very experimental like that lol.
Old 12-21-17, 10:12 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Related: My HR was 170 (LTHR: 180) doing 140w (low Z2) today.

Still getting over the lingering sinus crap that is sticking around almost 3 weeks after a nasty cold.
I don't like taking any medication, but took Sudafed/Mucinex/Dayquil (the every 4 hours kinds) at various times over the weeks in an attempt to find any relief. Never more than 2 doses in a day, never together, etc. A few times a bit before a workout, though my sinuses clear up while on the trainer.

Not once did I wonder/consider that it might be a banned substance. Weird.

High HR is almost definitely due to still kinda being sick and reduced fitness due to lack of meaningful riding for almost 6 weeks due to work travel immediately followed by illness. Haven't taken medicine in over a week. Also possibly a little inflated by lack of hydration most of the day.
Old 12-21-17, 10:42 PM
Radish_legs

Fluticasone (Flonase) is now on the banned list. I assume that the nasal spray is not banned though, based on the language. Triamcinolone, a commonly used topical steroid, is on the banned list. I'm reading both can be taken orally, so I assume that the inhaled and topical formulation of these drugs are still legal?
Old 12-21-17, 11:35 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fluticasone (Flonase) is now on the banned list. I assume that the nasal spray is not banned though, based on the language. Triamcinolone, a commonly used topical steroid, is on the banned list. I'm reading both can be taken orally, so I assume that the inhaled and topical formulation of these drugs are still legal?

"All glucocorticoids are prohibited in-competition when administered by oral, intravenous, intramuscular or rectal routes."

Doesn't say anything about nasal spray, and GlobalDRO says that Flonase is 'Not Prohibited'.
Old 12-22-17, 12:19 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Dammit, guess CRISPR is off the table now..

Seems very proactive by USADA to ban something that is so very experimental like that lol.
Like there's a way they can trace it.

There's an experimental gene therapy that 'cures' asthma. I'd be on it in a heartbeat, if its out there. They tested it in rats. I'm not sure what's more amazing, a cure for asthma, or that someone has a job to find asthmatic rats.
Old 12-22-17, 09:43 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

https://www.usada.org/wp-content/upl...allet-card.pdf pg 11 specifically says Flonase is allowed. Is this changed in 2018?

Edit: pg 7 also clarifies that use via inhalation (so like a spray) is fine. So the link mattm posted looks to maintain the status quo.

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 12-22-17 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-24-17, 05:51 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Started a new diabetes medication, via injection..checked and it isnt on the list of banned substances. Although, if they started testing cat 4's here, then something is wrong.
Old 01-18-18, 05:25 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russ...-arrives-60204
Old 02-07-18, 07:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Some of you might find this seminar interesting: https://www.rti.org/event/winning-al...ent=1517957755

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.