Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What a difference a seat makes.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 09:20 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I switched back to the stock seat that came with my Neko yesterday. I had been using the Bontrager comfort saddle. I never intended to use a comfort saddle with it, but my hand injury when I first got the bike meant I needed to be in a more upright position. I was unhappy with the bike so far this year, I had some numbness in my hands, just couldn’t find a comfortable position, and was always getting something hung on that giant saddle.

I’ve done about 20 miles since I swiches and everything feels so much better. It feels like a new bike. My back is a little tight, and my sit bones are sore but that’s always been the case when going to a new bike and I expect it’ll relieve its self with time.

Im open to the idea of switching to a slightly higher end saddle. I may not need it, but there’s always room for improvement. The width of the stock saddle does seem about perfect for my sit bones. Any suggestions?
Old 05-12-18, 04:08 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
The Terry brand of saddles predominantly caters to women.

Perhaps something like the Liberator X Gel or Liberator X Elite would suit your needs. Both seats have the same width as the Bontrager Sport saddle which I believe is the stock saddle on Nekos. Terry has many other saddles to choose from as well if those don't appeal to you.
I personally have a Mens Liberator Y. It's the best of the 5 saddles I've tried so far.
Old 05-13-18, 01:09 AM
MK79

Bikes: Orange Five (2018 - Custom Build) Merida Crossway 300 (2016), Raleigh Storm (2014)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about Ergon saddles? Read lots of good about them and considering one for my self. They also have a saddle selector wich might help, maybe?

Saddle Selector ? ERGON BIKE
Old 05-14-18, 05:06 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got Selle Royal Ellipses on 2 of my bikes, my wife's bike, and my daughter's bike. I like them because they're not a "comfort" saddle but I can still ride without a chamois if I want. They've got 3 different versions for different riding positions; I use the Athletic and my wife has the Moderate.
Did a 63 mile ride Saturday on my Marin with the Ellipse saddle, no chamois. No chafing or other discomfort.
Old 05-14-18, 06:20 AM
Brooke1687

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MK79
How about Ergon saddles? Read lots of good about them and considering one for my self. They also have a saddle selector wich might help, maybe?

Saddle Selector ? ERGON BIKE
I did the selector and got no options available. Mmm I need to measure my sit bones and try it again.
Old 05-14-18, 06:26 AM
Brooke1687

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
I've got Selle Royal Ellipses on 2 of my bikes, my wife's bike, and my daughter's bike. I like them because they're not a "comfort" saddle but I can still ride without a chamois if I want. They've got 3 different versions for different riding positions; I use the Athletic and my wife has the Moderate.
Did a 63 mile ride Saturday on my Marin with the Ellipse saddle, no chamois. No chafing or other discomfort.
Thank you, that’s looks like a budget friendly option which I need. I’m not sure if I’d want the moderate or the athletic, I guess I need to find the measurements for both. I definitely don’t want anything that is narrower than what I have now. It looks like they don’t have a women specific athletic version.
Old 05-14-18, 07:57 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooke1687

Thank you, that’s looks like a budget friendly option which I need. I’m not sure if I’d want the moderate or the athletic, I guess I need to find the measurements for both. I definitely don’t want anything that is narrower than what I have now. It looks like they don’t have a women specific athletic version.
The saddles are fairly wide (as is my rear-end...).
Old 05-14-18, 09:25 AM
rummy

Bikes: Trek DS3 / Neko 2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend picked up Selle Italia Diva and she's absolutely happy with hers.
Old 05-14-18, 11:22 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Everybody likes different saddles. It's very hard to recommend one for another rider.
Test riding is about the only solution. Some bikes stores allow this.

My bike came with a Fizik Aliante, way different than my old bike's saddle. I hated it for a few rides, but couldn't get back to the bike store to try other saddles. At first, it was pretty annoying, and a bit painful. On the next few rides, it was "sort of okay", "not terrible". After that, it was "very good". Now it's my favorite saddle. So, it takes some hours to really test a saddle.
Old 05-16-18, 02:27 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rummy
My girlfriend picked up Selle Italia Diva and she's absolutely happy with hers.
Diva. Obviously! ;-)

Selle Royal saddles are great, yes.