Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Opinions on FWD

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Opinions on FWD

Old 06-19-18, 11:19 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Opinions on FWD

I am considering purchasing a performer FWD and am a little worried about reported "wheel slippage" on climbs.

I am looking for experiences from owners of fixed BB FWD and if wheel spin is really a major issue or just a slight annoyance that can be dealt with.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-18, 01:06 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
I am considering purchasing a performer FWD and am a little worried about reported "wheel slippage" on climbs.

I am looking for experiences from owners of fixed BB FWD and if wheel spin is really a major issue or just a slight annoyance that can be dealt with.

Thank you.
I wouldn't worry about it. On dry ground and on pavement it would have to be pretty darn steep for front wheel slip to be an issue. I don't know, I think I would be off the bike and walking long before that and that's with RWD! So, go for it. Torque steer and right ankle/chain interference are more likely to be the issues you wind up noticing. But people overcome those. FWIW
Old 06-19-18, 01:32 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You can read a review of the Performer folding front wheel drive bike here: https://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=11045

I have no opinion, never having ridden or even seen a FWD bike. They are rather uncommon. The most common name for a FWD bike mentioned on Bentrider is Cruzbike https://cruzbike.com/ There are a couple of reviews on the various Cruzbike models 'BentRider Online » Search Results » Cruzbike
Old 06-19-18, 02:33 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
You can read a review of the Performer folding front wheel drive bike here: https://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=11045

I have no opinion, never having ridden or even seen a FWD bike. They are rather uncommon. The most common name for a FWD bike mentioned on Bentrider is Cruzbike https://cruzbike.com/ There are a couple of reviews on the various Cruzbike models 'BentRider Online » Search Results » Cruzbike

Yeah. I am on bentrider and have read the folder review. The Cruzbike is a moving bottom bracket FWD and so is a different beast. The model I am looking at has a fixed boom and twisting return idler.
Old 06-21-18, 07:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I've tried a Cruzebike and hated it. Early on in my 'bent experiences, I got to test-ride a Zox, which was fixed bottom bracket FWD like the Performers. You could only tell it was different when you were turning at low speeds and by having a little more chain noise. A dual-20", FWD folder would be a great travel bike. Otherwise, I don't see the point in small wheels or FWD.
Old 06-25-18, 11:12 AM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've tried a Cruzebike and hated it. Early on in my 'bent experiences, I got to test-ride a Zox, which was fixed bottom bracket FWD like the Performers. You could only tell it was different when you were turning at low speeds and by having a little more chain noise. A dual-20", FWD folder would be a great travel bike. Otherwise, I don't see the point in small wheels or FWD.
I had a ZOX 26 for several years (also a ZOX 20 for my daughter). This was a Z-Frame ZOX 26, quite fast.

In 1999 I raced it at the SDBC Time Trial Series at Fiesta Island. I managed a time of 31:05 for the 20km event, an average speed of 24.12mph (I was 42 years old at the time).

I solved wheel slip by running a 'sticky' tire (Specialized Fat Boys) but I would grind down the front tire in about 2000 miles (steep hills, big rider). A nice bike, fast, but the 26 wasn't a good climber due to fork flex (I've been on Bacchettas since 2004).

(Picture of me at the San Diego Velodrome on one of these).

Crazy tailbox I did in 2000.
(Note, that was my new Toyota Echo, the car now has 255k miles on it).

I reviewed the ZOX for RNC as well.

Last edited by bikingbill; 06-25-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-25-18, 01:35 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I ordered a FWD from performer. I am modding the highracer with 451 wheels, which pushes out the wheelbase and should help alleviate any wheel-slip.

Edit: to be clear, I swapped out 451 wheels for the stock 700cc and will be using a shorter fork.

Last edited by Skankingbiker; 06-25-18 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 02:02 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, I ordered a FWD from performer. I am modding the highracer with 451 wheels, which pushes out the wheelbase and should help alleviate any wheel-slip.
You want more of the weight on the front wheel. Just a guess but larger wheels may reduce that. I'd have to do the math, but I think that's right. The larger rear wheel isn't going to move the rear contact patch much. The larger front wheel moves the front contact patch forward a bit. Therefore weight distribution shifted slightly back.
Old 06-25-18, 02:19 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbill
You want more of the weight on the front wheel. Just a guess but larger wheels may reduce that. I'd have to do the math, but I think that's right. The larger rear wheel isn't going to move the rear contact patch much. The larger front wheel moves the front contact patch forward a bit. Therefore weight distribution shifted slightly back.

The bike is designed for 700cc wheels. I am going to be running much smaller wheels (451) and a shorter fork (basically the wheels and drivetrain from their folding model), which should spread out the wheelbase, and it will also steepen the headtube angle a bit, which should push more weight forward.
Old 06-25-18, 06:39 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The bike is designed for 700cc wheels. I am going to be running much smaller wheels (451) and a shorter fork (basically the wheels and drivetrain from their folding model), which should spread out the wheelbase, and it will also steepen the headtube angle a bit, which should push more weight forward.
Yes, that will work ... and a shorter fork will reduce the "to and fro" flexing, which improves the climbing.
Old 07-02-18, 06:49 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Going to small wheels might shorten the wheelbase a teensy bit due to the shorter fork not angling out as far. The HR frame will have a longer wheelbase than the folder, though.
Old 07-02-18, 07:34 AM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I will report back once the bike arrives and I have it up and running
Old 08-27-18, 11:55 AM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have owned my performer FWD custom lowracer now for a little over a month. I live in a moderately hilly area. So far, no issues with front wheel slip or traction whatsoever. Also no issue with leg/idler contact. Only traction issues is the rear end going squirrely on loose stuff and under hard braking.