Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal Force RS2 vs 2009 Madone 5.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 01:39 PM
Rutnick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently have a RS2 and like it ok. I think it's an ok frame. I've ridden it. I've raced it. It does seem pretty stiff. On the other hand, I have a team mate that is selling his 2009 Madone 5.2 project 1 frame, fork and seatpost cap for a song. I mean a song. It's a size smaller that what I currently ride but I've been experimenting with a smaller sized frame and am liking it.

I have to run a zero setback seatpost on the RS2 and my 57cm carbon/steel spine LeMond and use a 110 stem on both. The Lemond has always been more comfortable than the RS2 and I can describe the RS2 ride as well....meh.

The 5.2 is a 56 where I typically run a 57-58 frame but it is the H2 geometry.

I guess I am wondering if the benefits to the Madone frame will be all that obvious. I am guessing it will ride smoother but the H2 geometry seems less race oriented than the RS2 but I think that just means running less spacers on the steerer than what I do now.

If you could get a Madone 5.2 module (even a 2008-2009 model) for a song would you jump at it? Yeah, it has about 10k miles on it but it has one small scratch on the entire frame. I bet I could sell it on fleabay for what I would have in it if I don't like it.

I don't know but lately...made in usa still means something. LeMond Zurich, Madone 5.2 and a GF Presidio X bike. That's the bike I currently run a size smaller (55cm) and I love it even for the road. Even being 6'1". It just feels lighter and turns better. I still love my Zurich and she is comfy but I can tell she's a beast to turn even though I crit race her.

He's currently running at Madone 6.9 and a Warp 9.
Old 11-18-10, 08:19 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dunno much about the Rs2 stuff, but the 08 and 09 5 series Madones have a great ride.
Old 11-19-10, 09:33 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do buy it (I wouldn't), you will NOT have access to the warranty offered by Trek. It doesn't transfer with the sale of the bike.

Just something to keep in mind.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 11-19-10, 04:48 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
All Madones are good bikes, but 5.X & 6.X Series Madones are top notch.

Remember, Contador won the Tour De France on a 5.X Series Madone when 6.X Series Madones were available.

Some might say that Treks are overpriced, but you get the most bang for the buck with a Madone frameset.

If I came across a 2009 Madone 5.2 Pro, I would so jump on it. I'm always on the look out for such a bike.

Pedal Force VS Madone? Madone all the way.
Even the Anti-Trekians would have to agree.
Old 11-19-10, 04:50 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen
All Madones are good bikes, but 5.X & 6.X Series Madones are top notch.

Remember, Contador won the Tour De France on a 5.X Series Madone when 6.X Series Madones were available.

Some might say that Treks are overpriced, but you get the most bang for the buck with a Madone frameset.

If I came across a 2009 Madone 5.2 Pro, I would so jump on it. I'm always on the look out for such a bike.

Pedal Force VS Madone? Madone all the way.
Even the Anti-Trekians would have to agree.
:facepalm: x 1000
Old 11-19-10, 08:26 PM
trek2.3bike

Bikes: Trek 5.2 and Trek 2.3 WSD upgraded to full Ultegra.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2009 Trek 5.2 performance frame (H2). It is a great bike.

I say buy it and jiggle with the spacers & stem offset in order to get the handlebar height you prefer.