Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Shimano dyno hubs

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Shimano dyno hubs

Old 02-09-15, 05:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think I would go with the SP for that price differential. I don't think you would be unhappy with either choice though. I really want a SON SL to get rid of the connectors, but I haven't talked myself into it yet
Old 02-09-15, 06:34 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ze_zaskar
My concerns about offroad riding are related to mud, dust and water, not "sweet jumps" and that sort of stuff.

I think I'll pass the dynohub and light this time. Not enjoying the idea of cables around the fork, doubts about the hub's reliability and now all the trouble between the light and canti cables...
He was asking about sweet jumps as a rhetorical to make a point. His point being that you Don't need to worry about the hub failing because you don't plan on doing anything that will come close to abuse. I wouldn't even worry about riding my non-xt hub on regular singletrack as long as I wasn't doing any jumps/drops. As far as dirt/water, dynamo hubs are made for commuter and touring bikes. Those are the bikes that get ridden in the dirt and rain and grit year round, not the sunny day bikes. A little water isn't going to kill it. And "all the trouble" between the light and cantilevers is literally just a matter of using a different, cheap, bracket. Cables on the fork are no big deal. You just use a wrap of electrical tape and tape them down. If it were an issue, there wouldn't be so many people touring with cables around the fork and no problems. And I can Very confidently say that my light has been Waaaay more hassle-free since switching to dynamo power. Install wheel, mount the light once, connect the wire - Never worry about your light again. The incredibly bright light, that is. No crappy little light on a flimsy mount with batteries dying regularly. Dynamo is the way to go.
Old 02-09-15, 07:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea the SL is a Good bit of kit. have to get the Fork made to go with it, though SON SL

https://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/p...ducts_2014.pdf
Old 02-09-15, 07:47 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a SON on my Rando bike. Its been warrantied once. Had to pay for a wheel build, but got a new hub.
I have a Shimano on my Krampus. All weather mountain bike. Not enough time on it to compare to the SON, but I ran a Shimano on my Fargo before with no issues.

Pushing. by mbeganyi, on Flickr

The issue of wires on the fork / etc. is overrated. Tape em down and forget about them.
You might consider a light designed for trail use VS. the German mandated road use ones. I have an edeluxe on my Rando bike and its a great light - but I like the Exposure Revo on my Krampus for dirt road / gravel / single track.

exposure revo dyno light by mbeganyi, on Flickr

I compliment the dyno light with a helmet light (rechargeable via the USBwerk).
I have a Fenix UC40 UE and an Exposure Diablo. Both great lights.
Old 02-09-15, 08:13 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by J.C. Koto

I was worried about that too but then realized I could buy three Shimano dynamo hubs for the price of one SON so chances are I'd get at least the same duration of use with a lower up-front cost. YMMV, etc.
Sorry but your view of the economics appears to have failed to take account of including three dismantle and wheel builds should your Shimano hubs fail and need it.
Do people re-use spokes? (I have no idea if its an option)

Son has a 5 year warranty. If it comes down to price, surely the Son makes for the strongest argument.

If budget was an issue, the Shutter Precision makes for a good alternative
Old 02-09-15, 09:27 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
Sorry but your view of the economics appears to have failed to take account of including three dismantle and wheel builds should your Shimano hubs fail and need it.

Son has a 5 year warranty. If it comes down to price, surely the Son makes for the strongest argument.

I didn't "fail" diddly. I can rebuild my own wheels, on my own time, thank you very much, therefore I know the time costs upfront. Nevertheless I agree SP makes good hubs.

Edit: Yes, many, if not all spokes can be reused it they are the same length, which, in a wheel rebuild with the same components they should be. I've done it before and it worked just fine. Probably need new nipples though but they're cheap.

Last edited by J.C. Koto; 02-09-15 at 09:36 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-10-15, 06:02 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

Does SON pay to rebuild the wheel if the hub fails? Or do they just give the shop a new hub and you are on the hook for the cost of the wheel rebuild?

FWIW I have one Shimano dyno hub that came stock on a bike, it currently has well past 10,000 miles on it with no problems so far. My other hubs have fewer miles on them.

I like SON and if cost were no object, I would use them. But not everybody drives Tesla coupes or Corvettes either.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-10-15, 06:13 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Does SON pay to rebuild the wheel if the hub fails? Or do they just give the shop a new hub and you are on the hook for the cost of the wheel rebuild?

FWIW I have one Shimano dyno hub that came stock on a bike, it currently has well past 10,000 miles on it with no problems so far. My other hubs have fewer miles on them.

I like SON and if cost were no object, I would use them. But not everybody drives Tesla coupes or Corvettes either.

Aaron
I had to pay - way shipping and to have the wheel rebuilt. Including spokes and nipples. FWIW my SON failed after fairly 'normal' use - brevets and commuting and long rides in all weather. So, while I think they are the gold standard, they are not fail safe.
Old 02-10-15, 06:36 AM
jimc101

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Having used Shimano T785, (the disc version of the hub the OP is looking at), SP & SON hubs, have found no difference in any of them for performance, weight is another thing, the Shimano (T785) is a heavier hub, and the one the OP is looking at is a generation old now, the T785-1D (disc) or T780-1N (non-disc) are the hubs to look for if buying Shimano today as these should come in at a similar weight to the SON/SP hubs at a cheaper price.
Old 02-10-15, 07:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by ze_zaskar
My LBS now stocks Shutter Precision PV8 hubs only €10 more expensive than I can get the Shimano XT DH-T780.
Between the two, in terms of reliability and drag, what are the opinions? Not much worried about output, only want to power an headlight and tailight
I wrote this last fall.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I bought a SP Dynamo hub a year and a half ago. Looks very much like the SON but made in Taiwan. I could not find a retailer in US to sell it to me, I bought it on Ebay, shipped from Taiwan.

I think I have the PV-8 model.

SP 8 series dynamo hub

In only a year and a half, I obviously can't comment on long term durability, but short term it is fine so far.

If I recall, their brochure did not list a 36h option, but that is what I got.
Since I bought mine, I am now finding a few retailers now selling them.

I have no experience with the Shimano, can't comment.

I feel no drag from the PV-8. I read this before I decided to get the PV-8.

https://www.ctc.org.uk/file/public/fe...ub-dynamos.pdf

I used cable ties to hold wires to a fork leg and a quick connector at the top of the fork leg so I can unplug the light and plug in a USB charger. SP uses a Shimano plug to plug the wires into the hub. I have two touring bikes that I will use that wheel on and for one of those bikes, two forks. So I bought extra Shimano plugs, one for each fork that the wheel might be installed on so I could cable tie a set of wires and a plug on each fork.

SP does not provide the skewer, don't forget to budget for that. If you are concerned about theft you can get a bolt on skewer, I use the Halo ones. Any 5mm wrench will work, I do not have to worry about losing a special tool.

I custom made my own light bracket, not a big deal. Cantilever was not an issue, height of handlebar bag was my issue.

If the light looks a bit odd, I have two lights on the bike in this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CRIMGP4550.jpg (92.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-10-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 07:59 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have an SP dyno hub with 15mm thru axle on my full suspension 29er MTB and take "sweet jumps" with it all the time. I've been running it for about a year now with no issues. I also ran a Shimano Alfine on a rigid fork MTB for about a year with no issues, "sweet jumps" and all that.

I own and use Shimano, Sturmey-Archer, SRAM and SP dyno hubs, I can't see spending 3x for a SON, what will I get from the extra expense?

While most bike shops don't want to re-use spokes/nipples, I do all the time with DT spokes/nipples.
Old 02-10-15, 08:26 AM
rifraf

Originally Posted by Mr IGH
I can't see spending 3x for a SON, what will I get from the extra expense?

Supposedly a replacement for up to five years I believe

I mentioned the SP because here in the Antipodes at least, it has the next longest warranty of I think 2 years.

Last edited by rifraf; 02-10-15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 08:44 AM
rifraf

Does any of them?

I have one Shimano dyno hub that came stock on a bike, it currently has well past 10,000 miles on it with no problems so far. My other hubs have fewer miles on them.

Aaron
Its great that your getting a good run out of your Shimano.
I'm unfamiliar with Tesla coupes but with your mention of Corvette I'm to assume your likening the Son28 to a flash car?
My point wasn't to be elitist but to point out the economies of scale.
Last I checked the XT(DB) 6v 3w Shimano option, a few years ago now, I was in NZ and the Shimano was just under half the Son28 price.
The Shimano had a one year warranty whilst the Son had a 5 year warranty for slightly over double the price.
There is now no shortage of dynamo hub brands/models but the Son is still the gold standard with regards warranty.
The Shimano would have to be one fifth the price to compete in my view or the Son five times the price of the Shimano.

As for bringing up cost, I made do with a vintage Sturmey Archer for a few years whilst I saved for my Son.
The GH6 will power up an Edelux for anyone who like me has a restricted budget.
Old 02-10-15, 08:57 AM
rifraf

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I wrote this last fall.

Since I bought mine, I am now finding a few retailers now selling them.

I have no experience with the Shimano, can't comment.

I feel no drag from the PV-8. I read this before I decided to get the PV-8.

https://www.ctc.org.uk/file/public/fe...ub-dynamos.pdf

I used cable ties to hold wires to a fork leg and a quick connector at the top of the fork leg so I can unplug the light and plug in a USB charger. SP uses a Shimano plug to plug the wires into the hub. I have two touring bikes that I will use that wheel on and for one of those bikes, two forks. So I bought extra Shimano plugs, one for each fork that the wheel might be installed on so I could cable tie a set of wires and a plug on each fork.

SP does not provide the skewer, don't forget to budget for that. If you are concerned about theft you can get a bolt on skewer, I use the Halo ones. Any 5mm wrench will work, I do not have to worry about losing a special tool.

I custom made my own light bracket, not a big deal. Cantilever was not an issue, height of handlebar bag was my issue.

If the light looks a bit odd, I have two lights on the bike in this photo.
I'm picking from the fork with its rear mounted v-brakes that its your Thorn Nomad.
A well regarded bike and a favourite of quite a few here in Aussie.

More and more here in local forums heading in the direction of the Shutter Precision.
They are proving great bang for buck and offer a decent warranty to boot.
Old 02-10-15, 09:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I'm picking from the fork with its rear mounted v-brakes that its your Thorn Nomad.
A well regarded bike and a favourite of quite a few here in Aussie.

More and more here in local forums heading in the direction of the Shutter Precision.
They are proving great bang for buck and offer a decent warranty to boot.
Yup, Nomad. But I really wish they put the brake up front for a couple reasons.

If the SP warranty is two years, I only have a month or two left.
Old 02-10-15, 10:15 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does any of them?

I'm unfamiliar with Tesla coupes but with your mention of Corvette I'm to assume your likening the Son28 to a flash car?
Last I checked the XT(DB) 6v 3w Shimano option, a few years ago now, I was in NZ and the Shimano was just under half the Son28 price.
The Shimano had a one year warranty whilst the Son had a 5 year warranty for slightly over double the price.
There is now no shortage of dynamo hub brands/models but the Son is still the gold standard with regards warranty.
The Shimano would have to be one fifth the price to compete in my view or the Son five times the price of the Shimano.

As for bringing up cost, I made do with a vintage Sturmey Archer for a few years whilst I saved for my Son.
I don't think you can work the math like that. Just because it has a 5 year warranty doesn't mean the Shimano won't outlast the SON, also doesn't mean the Shimano (or the SON) will crap out 1 week into a trip.

My SON lasted 3 years and failed. Water ingress and then corrosion to the coil. I had to pay 1 way shipping and then for a wheel build.
I have friends who have both Shimano and SON, and both are going strong 3-5-10 years into their service life with no issues.
By the reverse your logic someone that gets 5 years or more out a Shimano gets the better deal.

As with anything though, YMMV, RYOR, etc.

I've found both my Alfine's to be completely serviceable. And I like the connector on the Shimano better than the SON, but thankfully I don't disconnect them all that much, except when doing maintenance or car topping to get to a ride.
Old 02-10-15, 10:52 AM
rifraf

Originally Posted by bmike
I don't think you can work the math like that. Just because it has a 5 year warranty doesn't mean the Shimano won't outlast the SON, also doesn't mean the Shimano (or the SON) will crap out 1 week into a trip.

My SON lasted 3 years and failed. Water ingress and then corrosion to the coil. I had to pay 1 way shipping and then for a wheel build.
I have friends who have both Shimano and SON, and both are going strong 3-5-10 years into their service life with no issues.
By the reverse your logic someone that gets 5 years or more out a Shimano gets the better deal.

As with anything though, YMMV, RYOR, etc.

I've found both my Alfine's to be completely serviceable. And I like the connector on the Shimano better than the SON, but thankfully I don't disconnect them all that much, except when doing maintenance or car topping to get to a ride.
Someone who gets 5 years out of a Shimano gets an amazing deal, I concur.
But if it stops working 13 months from buying it, you have to buy another one as well as the expense you mentioned of the son being a rebuild, beit with new or original spokes (your choice).
For the warranty period of 5 years, you don't have to buy another one with the son.
You say you have to pay postage.
Wouldn't you have to pay postage if you were buying a son if it was out of warranty or new for the first time?
Look the OP should buy what ever tickles them but my way of thinking is that an informed purchase is the best purchase.
The economies of scale suggest the best bang for buck is the longest warranty or expected lifespan.
I'm not denigrating the choice of Shimano per say, but I don't fathom the decision when the Shutter Precision is available with a 2 year warranty.
Saying that, I don't need to understand it and everyone can buy what ever rocks their boat with no judgement on my part.
The aesthetics of having that "XT" sticker would be something I could understand for aficionado's of upper market group sets.
May your choice keep pumping out watts for decades yet.

Happy spinning
Old 02-10-15, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
SON happens to be airtight.. there is a vent hole inside the hollow axle ,
they offer a caution about exposing them to situations that promote internal condensation,
moving in and out of big temperature/humidity differences is 1 way to draw in moisture
Old 02-10-15, 12:52 PM
ze_zaskar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, being the OP, I can tell you that I'm not even remotely interested in buying a SON, so you can spare your time with that.
The battle is really between the Shimano XT and the SP
Old 02-11-15, 04:34 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Does any of them?

I still run GH6 hubs and AG and FG on some vintage bikes I own. The newest of those hubs is over 40 years old.

Warranties are to protect the manufacturer, not the consumer. If I have two products with identical pricing and one has a longer warranty I might be swayed towards the longer warranty.

Not sure what was going on, but I know a certain bike at my LBS that is on it's 3rd SON hub in 5 years, under warranty. The lady that owns it is a randonneur, so she puts a lot of miles on that hub under all conditions. She is a bit disillusioned by the whole deal. Her back up wheel has a Sanyo hub on it. She says one more time and she is done with SON. I have had my hands on Sturmey-Archer (modern and vintage) Shimano, Sanyo, SON and one that Velo-Orange used to sell. I like the fit and finish of the SON but not at triple + the price. I buy things for durability and suitability for my needs. My vintage GH6 will push a modern LED head light and tail light just fine, as will any of the other hubs.

To the OP get what works for you at your price point, none of the current crop of generator hubs are junk that I am aware of.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-12-15, 08:00 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
To the OP get what works for you at your price point, none of the current crop of generator hubs are junk that I am aware of.

Aaron
To my knowledge, the Shimano models that end with 20 to 35 in their model numbers have more drag. The ones with 70 and above have about 2.2 watts of resistance.
Old 02-13-15, 04:40 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I didn't want to jump off the cliff when I tried a dyno hub, so I bought a $47 Philips from Peter White. It has 1/2 watt more drag than the Schmidt and I am really happy so far. I've only used it one year on my city bike where I use it day and night. Incidentally, I still prefer a sidewall dyno for my touring bike where I want dependable lights occasionally.

Marc
Old 02-13-15, 06:30 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Can you charge USB devices with the Shimano hub? If so, do you have to buy or hombres a special cable to do it?
Old 02-13-15, 08:10 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mobilemail
Can you charge USB devices with the Shimano hub? If so, do you have to buy or hombres a special cable to do it?
Lots of devices to choose from. Sinewave, USBwerk, the plug.
Old 02-13-15, 08:43 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by mobilemail
Originally Posted by bmike
Lots of devices to choose from. Sinewave, USBwerk, the plug.
Any hub rated for 6v 3w could be used with the devices bmike cited, but some hubs might need more speed. Hubs rated for 6v 2.4w likely need more speed for charging than a 3w hub.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.